Question On Creatin Level

Guest jettcricket

Guest jettcricket

Hi All...my big boy Dave is going in for a dental next week. My vet did pre-blood work on him and is a little concerned about his creatin level. Normal (according to him) is 1.6. Dave's was 1.9.

Two years ago when he had his first dental it was a bit high too. They did a urine test on him and it came back ok.

I tend to be a worry wart....should I be concerned? Is this normal for a greyhound?

They recommend I bring in a urine sample before his dental.

TIA!

An elevated creatinine (and 1.9 is really borderline, not elevated) by itself isn't necessarily a problem.

First, I'd just repeat the BUN and creatinine as sometimes these values can be lab error. Did they do a urine dip? They would be looking for things like the presence of white blood cells, red blood cells, bacteria, and especially protein. If it's abnormal, they should do a microscopic exam and a urine culture, and possibly additional testing, but only if he's spilling protein in his urine.

If a repeat BUN/creatinine is normal, I wouldn't sweat it and just have it checked at the time of his annual exams.

Do you know offhand what the BUN value was, and if there were any other abnormalities?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Jordan is the medical pro, so take me with a teaspoon of salt. But, as long as BUN and all else were normal, I wouldn't even repeat the test at this time. Pups here have had higher with no pathology.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jettcricket

This was just based on a CBC that he had this past weekend. I'll see if the vet's office can fax me his report.

Like I said the same thing happened 2 years ago when he had his first dental and when I took a urine sample in everything turned out normal.

Thanks so much.

I worry over every little thing....

I would bring in a "first morning" urine specimen (catch it mid-stream) and have them do the urine tests on that. That will let you know whether protein is being excreted and if so at what levels, and whether the urine is getting concentrated enough. If you have not had a BUN done as part of the blood work, then consider doing that.

As mentioned, 1.9 is borderline and as long as everything else is OK then repeat urine and blood work yearly to make sure there have not been "any changes".

As a side note, my dog was running slightly high also BUT, his specific gravity in the urine was questionable in that is was not that high which could indicate some issues in the kidneys. In my case, I started him on a lowered protein diet and in his recent tests everything came back within normal ranges.

Guest jettcricket

Ok....just got a copy of Dave's blood work faxed to me. His BUN/Creatinine Ratio reads: 14 4-27 Ratio

It doesn't indicate on his blood work that it's high.

Ok....just got a copy of Dave's blood work faxed to me. His BUN/Creatinine Ratio reads: 14 4-27 Ratio

It doesn't indicate on his blood work that it's high.

If I'm reading it correctly, that's normal for a Grey.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

George's creatine is 2.2, and my vet isn't concerned.

I sent his results to Dr. Couto a few years back when my FORMER vet insisted on testing over and over and over, and he sent back a brilliantly short email that basically said, "These values combined with his normal urine indicate there is nothing wrong with this greyhound and further testing is not necessary." I showed it to her, and that was the end of my $2,000 worth of tests!!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest jettcricket

George's creatine is 2.2, and my vet isn't concerned.

I sent his results to Dr. Couto a few years back when my FORMER vet insisted on testing over and over and over, and he sent back a brilliantly short email that basically said, "These values combined with his normal urine indicate there is nothing wrong with this greyhound and further testing is not necessary." I showed it to her, and that was the end of my $2,000 worth of tests!!!

Yeah...I hear ya. Dr. Wyman tends to go over a bit over the top sometimes. I remember when Dave had his first dental almost 2 years ago the same thing happened. I borught in a urine sample and everything came back fine. I mentioned it him and he still wants me to bring in a urine sample. They are not going to charge me for it, considering how much they are going to charge me for Dave's dental, they shouldn't. dry.gif

I really like my vets, but they are so darn expensive!