How Many Greys Are Too Many

Guest kar

Guest LindsaySF
No one can answer that question but you.

Very true. How many dogs do you think you can handle? How many do you feel comfortable walking at once? Do your current dogs all get along? What is the town limit? Can you afford another dog? All questions to ask yourself. I don't think 4 is too many, but the maximum number is different for everyone. Good luck.

Thank you all for all of your input. I have the time for another dog, I think I have the room. Right now I have enough money - good point brought up about loosing a job. My three get along pretty well must of the time. Once in a while they get a little snarky but that is usually over a toy (don't know why god knows they have enough for 20 dogs). The two males are the ones that get snarky. Thats why I was thinking another female. God help me if I see her in person - I'm already in love with her online. Another good point I don't think there is a maximum limit for pets in my town but guess I'd better check that out.

for me two is perfect and is also my limit. i like to have a life outside of greyhounds <gasp> cool.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest kydie

at current I have one grey, but 3 other non-grey rescues, I'm with everyone else, what is one more, as long as you have floor space, and an extra dish to feed them out of. I'd have more if I could afford more, not right now though. :)

Guest TeddysMom

If you can physically, mentally and financially care for the dogs then the numbers don't matter. We have 2 greys and 19 other various rescues that never found homes and I am preparing to welcome another adopted greyhound, so to me it all depends on how much love you have to give. I also foster between 1 and 10 dogs that are waiting to go to their new forever homes.

Guest 3greysinPA

4 Seems like our magic number... we can take 2 out for a walk and then 2 are home together and no one is lonely.

Having 4 is no different than 3 really.. just a little more food and a little more poops in the yard... but the good news is... LOTS more hugs, kisses, scritches.. and lovies.

Guest TBSFlame

I like the number 4 the best. You can take two at a time when going places. 5 is ok to care for but 6 tips the scales for me. I can do it short term but long term it is.......well, a bit much. Too many hounds in a small house. Can't walk for them. Just too much. It also depends on the hounds. Lots of seniors make it calmer.

• 7 months later...

Well . . . . 4 is a lot! At least that's what I said before I got my fourth. I'm maxed out at nine . . . . but said that at five, six, seven . . .

Seriously - if you have the time, the money, the energy, go for it.

Cute signature Deb!!!

I guess you're coming off my "client" list permanently!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest isntitgreyt

If there's room on the floor, there's room for more :lol. I didn't mean to end of with six dogs, 5 GH's and a Boston Terrier,but I did and I wouldn't change it. DH said I could only have 3 dogs then it was max 4 and I have 6 so go figure. 6 is my limit though! If you can afford another and have the time and energy for another than go for it.

Guest GreyRabbit

My motto is that I only have two hands therefore I only have two dogs...but maybe if my lab/boxer walked as nicely as my grey I could squeeze another leash into one of my hands...?:P

Guest hlpnhounds

My motto is that I only have two hands therefore I only have two dogs...but maybe if my lab/boxer walked as nicely as my grey I could squeeze another leash into one of my hands...?:P

I walk the greys with a leash coupler and the beagle on a separate leash.... :P

Guest Celestrina

Want to add that when I adopted Diamond, I didn't know I was going to lose my job a few months later. Had I known, I never would have adopted him.

You have to be prepared for the unexpected too

Especially in this economy. Don't just look at the everyday costs (such as food), but don't forget to think about such things as vet bills. Your heart and home might have room for another dog, but be sure your wallet is full enough to support it.

I'd like a second but our lease restricts us to one. What I'd love is to eventually live somewhere that we can own two and foster maybe one or two others when it works for us. Would have to talk DH into that, though :)

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20