How Many Greys Are Too Many

Guest kar

I currently have three 2 males and a female. Am starting to look at the available again (don't know why, I am very happy) and am in love with two females. Would take either one in a heartbeat, but am afraid that four is too many.

Guest Twogreythounds

We have two hounds only because of the financial commitment but anticipate adding more. I know people with 4, 6, 8, or even more hounds and they love each one of their dogs!! I recommend asking yourself

1) Will another dog add enjoyment to our pack's life? If you have a dog with space issues you want to make sure that you have enough room to accommodate everyone

2) Do I have enough time and attention to devote to another dog?

3) Can I provide for another dog?

4) Would I rather adopt or foster? Many adoption groups are looking for experienced greyhound owners to foster dogs until they find forever homes of their own. This may be a greyt way for you to decide if a fourth dog is right for you and would give you an opportunity to "test drive" one in your home while providing a big help to adoption groups.

Good Luck!

Want to add that when I adopted Diamond, I didn't know I was going to lose my job a few months later. Had I known, I never would have adopted him.

You have to be prepared for the unexpected too

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest PhillyPups

If you can, 4 are easier than 3. You can take one or two out with you and nobody is left home alone.

Too many for me would be 6, as I am in a small row home. 5 fit, and all are spoiled and none lack attention.

See what help we are? :rofl

Guest houndlover

I really think that it just depends on what you can afford, what you are comfortable with and how well all of the dogs get along. Once you get up to 3 dogs, one or even 2 more really aren't that much more work..it's just the expense that goes along with it. I have 3 greys (2 are mine and one is a foster) and a GSD. Maybe you could consider fostering with the intent of adopting just to see how things go and make sure you aren't overwhelmed with having to care for additional hounds.

Good luck and hopefully we will see some pics of new hounds soon. :)

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I have had up to 8 greys in my home before and I must say that 5 is my magic number. #6 really seems to make a difference in work and time.

Well . . . . 4 is a lot! At least that's what I said before I got my fourth. I'm maxed out at nine . . . . but said that at five, six, seven . . .

Seriously - if you have the time, the money, the energy, go for it.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

We've had up to 24. We take in senior and special needs. Sign out front says "Greyhound Assisted Living Facility". We are down to 13, they are easy to take care of now. As long as you can afford their medical care and food, all is well. We have cut out the middle vet and take anyone who is in need of medical care directly to OSU.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest zoolaine

Everyone has their ideal number. After adopting Jupiter, 5 always seemed a strange number to have. It seems much better with Danica in our family and come Monday we will be adding a 5 month old grey puppy! So I will have 7 for a short while then back to 6 (Sunny has cancer and will probably be at the bridge soon :cry1) I really like having 6 dogs.

It really depends upon the size of your bed! B)

Or just buy a bigger house and king size bed which is laying on the floor with dog beds all around that bed and you can fit 7

Not that I would know or anything.......

:rofl

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I have one grey, one other dog, and three cats. That's my max. I fear a major vet bill as it is. Things can get dicey really quickly.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

We have 5. No difference from 4.

After we had 4, lost one, it felt just not right so as adopted our broodie. Ollie, just sort of just happened later on!

Good friend of mine has a very small house. My master bedroom and bath is pretty much the size of her living area and she has 4.

They say when there is room in the heart, there is room in the home.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't have space for more than the one I have, but if you have space, time, money, energy, adopt as many as you're up for!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

What a loaded question for this board :lol

I only have 3, and soon that may turn into 5. I don't worry about the financial end of it, but I always feel that I need to be able to give each of them the personal time and attention they deserve. That's what would stop me from getting more

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We currently have 4 greys of our own, one foster grey -who will most likely become a permanent resident ;)- and a 13 year old Lab. That's 6 dogs in a not-too-large-home, but with a large back yard. We're at our maximum now, space wise. Realistically speaking the Lab and our Grey that has osteo will not be with us much longer (although we hope otherwise!) So that brings us down to 4 Greys at which time I would consider fostering (to NOT fail!) again.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Happytails

We have three but we are going to foster so for a couple of weeks there will be four!

I have said no more than 3. We love them all but getting away for holidays is difficult as we have to find someone willing to look after 3 dogs or 3 people and the dogs are split up.

The other thing to consider is how many dogs you are allowed to keep by the city bylaws. Where we are I know you are not allowed anymore than a combination of 4 cats and dogs.

Guest greyt2love

I have 5 greys, 1 Iggy, a Cocker Spaniel, 2 Yorkies, and a cat. I live in a small house, but with a nice sized , fenced yard. I live alone, so without the fenced yard, I would be hard-pressed to handle this many. If I could follow my heart, I'm have more ! There is no problem working in special time for each one every day, but I have a very routine work schedule, and live 5 minutes from home. I get to go home for lunch, and have basically no commute time. Some people aren't that fortunate, I know. So, yes, it all depends on each person's situation. Go for as many as you're comfortable with !!!!