Nails Wearing Away.

Over the last couple months I've noticed the two middle nails on Wally's right hind foot are wearing away faster then the others, now they're only about an 1/8 of an inch long. I do his nails myself and I haven't cut these two nails in a long time so this is not from cutting them to short. I brought him to a greyhound run today where he cut up his feet and as I was cleaning them I noticed the nails are actually bleeding now. What's going on and why is it only these two nails. I did a search and found a lot of threads about SLO but the nails aren't falling off they are just wearing away.

Here are some photos.

winter2010670.jpg

winter2010673.jpg

This is his other hind foot.

winter2010674.jpg

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Swifthounds

The two middle toes of the foot are the weight bearing toes. They take the brunt of the contact with the surface on which the hound runs. It's not unusual for a hound running on hard surfaces to file down nails and "skin" the bottoms of pads - especially if the amount of exercise is more than usual or the surface is harder than that on which the hound is conditioned to run.

The two middle toes of the foot are the weight bearing toes. They take the brunt of the contact with the surface on which the hound runs. It's not unusual for a hound running on hard surfaces to file down nails and "skin" the bottoms of pads - especially if the amount of exercise is more than usual or the surface is harder than that on which the hound is conditioned to run.

He has been running in the snow lately and I never let him run when it's hard and icy. I guess the ground underneath the snow is harder though because it's frozen. He gets the same amount of exercise as he has always been getting.

Why would it only be on the right foot not the left?

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I don't think it has ever been checked unless it's part of routine blood work. He is acting perfectly happy and healthy in every other way.

Can the thyroid effect there nails?

It sure can. It's what happened to Misty and she had no other symptom at all.

It's not usually part of routine blood work

It doesn't look like SLO to me, but there are people on here with much more experience with SLO than I

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Swifthounds

Lots of things could factor into the nails wearing on only the one foot. Dogs do have a stronger or more "dominant" side, much like humans do. When they turn, they place more weight on one side. Almost all dogs will tend, when running freely, to turn more in one direction than another. Also, old toes injuries (sprains, strains, old calcified toe breaks) affect the way the toes and foot move and work.

Do you give fish oil? It helps with coat, nails, fights inflammation, and other beneficial things.

Guest RocketDog

Try walking him around and having someone else watch his movement - does he drag that foot at all? I wonder if that might be causing it...

Edited by RocketDog

Looks like either dragging the foot or pushing off (for a run/leap) on hard ground or pavement. Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the nails themselves.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He doesn't drag the foot, not that I could tell anyways.

I guess you guys are probably right, it's probably normal wear and tear. Wally's going to the vet in April for his shots and such and if the nails are still like this I'll ask for a thyroid test.

He doesn't drag the foot, not that I could tell anyways.

I guess you guys are probably right, it's probably normal wear and tear. Wally's going to the vet in April for his shots and such and if the nails are still like this I'll ask for a thyroid test.

Just in case you don't know: A T4 test really doesn't mean much for a greyhound (unless they are the very rare greyhound that actually has a normal T4). The T4 test will likely be quite low, but this is typical for a greyhound. The much more definitive test is TSH. This is actually a more expensive test done as part of a full thyroid panel.

Unfortunately, different labs use different techniques for thyroid function measurement. One lab reports 50 percent of greyhounds are true low thyroid while another reports less than 2 percent are low thyroid. Ohio State University believes the 2 percent number is more accurate.

Hope this helps.

This wearing away of one of the middle nails on one hind leg was one of the first signs I saw in my greyhound who was eventually diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy. In his case, though, when I was walking him on pavement, I could hear that every 20 steps or so he would scuff the nails of that foot on the ground. Eventually it started with the same nail on the other hind leg as well. Hopefully it's not DM with your greyhound, but I thought I'd mention it as something to at least bear in mind.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I'd guess he's dragging it.

You could protect the nails with a boot. Another option--the one I'd use--is SoftClaws, which are plastic nail covers. The package includes glue, but they seem to stay on fairly well without it.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Low tech suggestion to try and diagnose dragging. I don't know if it will work but it sounds logical! :P

Put dark nail polish on both of those nails. check them several times a day and see where the paint is wearing away first. if it's off the top, I'd say he's dragging, if it's off the face and perhaps the sides, I'd guess it's just normal for him. maybe his gait is off and you can't really see it.

Like I said, it may not work, but it's a low cost test! I've never tried it!

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana