Possible Seizure?

Vee - 9 year old bounce that we brought to "perma-foster" care last weekend - seemed perfectly healthy , no issues of seizure etc (that the former owners told us in any case...)

We`ve been on the phone with her adopters . The adopter heard a commotion in the living room and went to find Vee splayed out on the floor, unable to move, crying. She got her comfortable, checked for broken bones and/or bleeding (nothing). Venus has become "limp", and seems out of it. She can't roll over and has "eliminated" everything. She's panting (better now) and will not drink any water, and she's still crying. The adopter has patted her down - nothing broken, no bleeding.

Naturally they are 1-3/4 hours away from us, live in a rural area with no e-vet.

She's put in a call to the local vet who both she and we know quite well but the call will probably not be answered til 8.

Another problem - she's (the adopter) just had surgery so she cannot lift Vee.

Any thoughts on what may have happened and any thoughts on how to make Vee comfortable and try to get her up OR conversely should she try to get her up?

UPDATE 7:00 AM - poor girl cannot get up on her own, but I have advised the new owner NOT to force her. She is lying with her on the floor and says that her panting has subsided but she is crying. I heard her crying through the phone - NOT the GSOD but really crying - I fear the worst :(

Klaus (DH) has left to assist.

8:50 - She's gone :(

Edited by ChiliDog

I wouldn't force her to get up. It does sound like a seizure or possible stroke. Watch for panting (pain/stress) and maybe check her temperature.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Donna, so sorry I'm in Rhode Island/Mass. this week, still dealing with mom's house or I'd go visit for you.

Don't know where these folks are, but there is an emergency vet in Burlington now--finally. It's called BEVS--Burlington Emergency Veterinary Services. # is (802) 863-2387.

Now that it's 7am, you probably won't need it, but for future reference, it might come in handy to have this number.

Is it a pup I know? I hope this poor baby will be okay.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Donna, so sorry I'm in Rhode Island/Mass. this week, still dealing with mom's house or I'd go visit for you.

Don't know where these folks are, but there is an emergency vet in Burlington now--finally. It's called BEVS--Burlington Emergency Veterinary Services. # is (802) 863-2387.

Now that it's 7am, you probably won't need it, but for future reference, it might come in handy to have this number.

Is it a pup I know? I hope this poor baby will be okay.

DD

Sorry Donna,

she's in Ontario, near the Quebec border :( but I REALLY appreciate the offer.

Her name is Venus - she was adopted in 2002 under the name P's Raseberry

Then the folks gave her up last week but that's a whole other story - I am going to contact them to see if there's something they "forgot" to tell us....

Guest SusanP

Please keep us updated. Is there a more distant 24-hr emergency vet clinic they can at least call for advice? Even if it's too far to go to?

I will keep Vee and all the humans who love her in my thoughts today.

Edited by SusanP

Please keep us updated. Is there a more distant 24-hr emergency vet clinic they can at least call for advice? Even if it's too far to go to?

I will keep Vee and all the humans who love her in my thoughts today.

Well she's actually on the phone with the folks from the kennel right now, and our vet said she can call him at any time, as well.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like what happened to Curfew on Sept 2008. He was almost unconsious like that, and had to be carried to the van. Sounds like a stroke (clot type), more than likely.

Hope everything turns out ok for them! Sending love and prayers!

Donna, in my email I know I was taking about seizures--I see them everywhere because of Piper :blush--but reading again and reading your update I think it does not sound so much like a seizure (the physical recovery would normally be quicker) as a stroke perhaps or something else. What a nightmare for her foster Mom! Sending prayers and warm healing thoughts to both of them.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Oh no. My heart goes out to you and Klaus and her adopter.

Godspeed, precious.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

OMG! Sooo sorry about all of this!

Wayyy too many strokes lately!

Sending love, and prayers to the adopters! God Speed Vee!

Poor girl. I'm sorry Donna.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greyt2love

I'm so sorry, Donna. I thought it sounded more like a stroke, too, because as Lucy said, Caesar's recovery from a seizure was much quicker than you were saying. My schnauzer had something very similar to what you posted, and sadly, he went to the Bridge, too. He never recovered from the stroke. How sad for this little girl.

Edited by greyt2love