Heart Worm Medication

What type of Heart Worm meds do you use?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest Houndie

Wow, I was just starting a similar thread! We use Tri-Heart Plus, which has the same ingredients as Heartguard. I am thinking about trying a generic version -- anybody used the generics?

Edited by Houndie

Interceptor. Even though I have 5 dogs and I have read how much money I could save on here by just using ivermectrin myself I spend the money and get the Interceptor. I have had no problems, no rxns, for many years using in many dogs and none of them have ever had any other kind of worm while using it either(with the exception of tapes one time from eating a snail or something). So I don't want to risk changing anything.

My vet, who previously prescribed/recommended Sentinel as what he felt was top of the line, has now switched to Advantage Multi, a relatively new product. I *hate* having to use two topicals in a month (since we still need Frontline for ticks -- the Advantage Multi covers everything else) but he was so clear that he'd never have switched if he didn't think it was the best/most effective, I felt I could hardly ask to stick with Sentinel even though the pill is SO much less hassle. He tries to be really cutting-edge and I trust his experience. I did check that Advantage Multi is safe for greyhounds. :) Quite expensive, but I only have one dog.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest mcsheltie

Interceptor, because I work a lot of Herding dogs and Ivomec can be problem (MDR1 gene). Interceptor is safe for all breeds.

Interceptor, because I work a lot of Herding dogs and Ivomec can be problem (MDR1 gene). Interceptor is safe for all breeds.

So what is the issue with the herding breeds? I have a Border/Aussie mix?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest mcsheltie

Many herding breeds and a couple sight hound breeds (not GH) carry the MDR1 gene. Ivermectin is one of a list of drugs they do not metabolize well. Aussies are on the list.

While the literature says the dose in heartworm medication is safe, in really life that is not always the case. I personally know three dogs that are heterozygous for the gene that have permanent damage from their heartworm meds. And have talked to other breeders who have had problems too. While this only happens in a few, I am not going to take the chance when there are other options. Sheltie, Collie and Auusie breeders will not use Ivomec.

If the dog has the MDR1 gene the reactions to medication can become stronger with each use. Most of the drugs cause neurological toxicity. Two common tranquilizers that are often used as a pre-anesthetic are on the list. Dogs with MDR1 suffer from prolonged sedation. One of the dogs I have shown was fine with Ace the first time. The second time, while he was getting a dental, he required a three day hospital stay to undo the sedation. He now also reacts to his heartworm meds.

If your dog doesn't have the gene then these drugs are safe no matter what the breed. There is a DNA test.

I guess I should clarify, we use Ivomec on the greyhounds, Jilly Bean gets Heartguard because our vet told us not to use the Ivomec on her.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest budsmom

Another Interceptor here. Never had a problem so if it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it. I get it from the vet, get my Frontline online to save a little $.

Guest Grhndad

We use Interceptor here also and have for the last 12 years. No problems with any type of worms. I get mine from the vet. He does give me a price cut because I buy so much with 5 hounds.

Beau gets unflavored Heart Guard because of his IBD and the other 4 get Interceptor. We do from April- Oct.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Swifthounds

Ivermectin. Haven't had worms - of any variety - in an adult dog in 14 years.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest isntitgreyt

GH's get Heartguard Plus but Jackson gets the generic (he did go to a different vet but I finally found one I like for the girls so all will be going to the same vet) Iverhart Max. My new vet also recommends Iverhart Max. It's definetly cheaper and I've never had a problem with worms.