Not Coping Well

starhound

Nice post, Tom - and YES, we'd love to see pictures of Brandy and hear stories of her... when you're ready...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, greyhound people know, whether here or in person at an adoption group. We all understand. No one does grief support better than a greyhound person.

How far are you from Philly? 2 hrs? (I think). I'll be at the NGAP kennels tomorrow morning 'walking dogs'. The morning open hours are from 9-10:30. If you want to come and cry on the dogs (and me.....and I can cry on you). (directions are on their website)

Guest bigbrindlebunny

In Maryland there's Fast Friends, Greyhound Welfare, Greyt Expectations and GPA-MD (forgive me fellow MDs if I missed one!). I got my boy through GPA-MD, and they're always looking for good foster parents.

I can't even express how much it helped us that Pete was fostered for a few weeks before he came home. She even sent him off with a care package of his food, treats, a stuffie and (most importantly) a report of what she had learned about him in his short time with her. I was a nervous wreck on his gotcha day, Pete is my first dog, and getting this kind of package from his foster Mom meant the world. I try to express my gratitude by sending her pictures of him from time to time, reports on his doings, and getting presents for her pack on his gotcha day anniversary. But she sent us the best present of all, and I'll never forget it.

So please considering fostering to get you through this time. You'll be helping others, and someday you might fail fostering when the time and hound is right.

See, greyhound people know, whether here or in person at an adoption group. We all understand. No one does grief support better than a greyhound person.

How far are you from Philly? 2 hrs? (I think). I'll be at the NGAP kennels tomorrow morning 'walking dogs'. The morning open hours are from 9-10:30. If you want to come and cry on the dogs (and me.....and I can cry on you). (directions are on their website)

About 2.5 hours :( I would love to come by at some point though, I just have to give DH some notice as he's the one driving me places.. (and massive props to him for looking after me, taking me out for food and taking time off of work while I've been so depressive and down) I still need to get my driver's license in the USA :( When will you be there next? Thank you so much for the invite :)

Hi Starhound, we're still here if you would like to talk to us! :)

All of you are amazing. Thank you so much for all of the support. I'm a bit nervous about the Owings Mills meet and greet tomorrow but I can't not go.. I have to go see some hounds.

In Maryland there's Fast Friends, Greyhound Welfare, Greyt Expectations and GPA-MD (forgive me fellow MDs if I missed one!). I got my boy through GPA-MD, and they're always looking for good foster parents.

I can't even express how much it helped us that Pete was fostered for a few weeks before he came home. She even sent him off with a care package of his food, treats, a stuffie and (most importantly) a report of what she had learned about him in his short time with her. I was a nervous wreck on his gotcha day, Pete is my first dog, and getting this kind of package from his foster Mom meant the world. I try to express my gratitude by sending her pictures of him from time to time, reports on his doings, and getting presents for her pack on his gotcha day anniversary. But she sent us the best present of all, and I'll never forget it.

So please considering fostering to get you through this time. You'll be helping others, and someday you might fail fostering when the time and hound is right.

I emailed three of those (I didn't know the fourth existed) and got really sweet and understanding responses from two of them, who sent their condolences with what happened to Brandy and suggested I went to one of their meets to see if I'm ready to adopt.. I'm not sure if I could foster.. I just know I would end up growing attached to and keeping the hound and the process would result in adoption anyway, so I might as well skip that step :lol

When I have my own property though and I'm able to own more than one hound, I will absolutely consider fostering. :heart

We're doing a meet and greet in Frederick tomorrow. :)

Oh wow, you are? Frederick and Owings mills are the same distance to me but in different directions! :o What time is yours?

Guest cogito

I think, if you feel ready, volunteering at a shelter or GH rescue sounds like a great idea. Don't be too quick to hide the pain of the loss of your heartdog with bringing home another dog, though; one of the best ways we honor our lost is by letting ourselves mourn...and by doing that we can also prepare ourselves for brand new loves. I'm very sorry for your loss.

grouphug.gif

Guest mountain4greys

I emailed three of those (I didn't know the fourth existed) and got really sweet and understanding responses from two of them, who sent their condolences with what happened to Brandy and suggested I went to one of their meets to see if I'm ready to adopt.. I'm not sure if I could foster.. I just know I would end up growing attached to and keeping the hound and the process would result in adoption anyway, so I might as well skip that step :lol

When I have my own property though and I'm able to own more than one hound, I will absolutely consider fostering. :heart

We're doing a meet and greet in Frederick tomorrow. :)

Oh wow, you are? Frederick and Owings mills are the same distance to me but in different directions! :o What time is yours?

Our is 11:30 - 2:30 at the Petsmart.

Guest IrskasMom

Starhound ..... I to wrote my CellPhone # 410 987 4816 down on a previous Thread. I to live in Maryland and you can call me anytime. I went through of loosing my HeartBoy to Osteo just before Christmas 5 Years ago . There was No Tree and No Christmas Spirit . One Month later ,after numerous times going to the Shelter ,my Son drove to Gerardstown to Greyhound Rescue and told me , he would bring the neediest Hound home. Happy to say, it was Morty . This Boy has not replaced my Irska but deffinitly healed my broken Heart . Irska is forever in my Heart , it will never change . We have lots of Love to give and so it is . Lots of Hugs from here grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Edited by IrskasMom

I'm at mountaink5@frontiernet.net.

Jimmy

Thank you, I will let you know if I can make it :)

I just checked my email and I have an invite to a greyhound meet in Towson tomomorrow too, so that's three to pick from, I want to go to all of them and visit every hound possible :cry1

Starhound ..... I to wrote my CellPhone # 410 987 4816 down on a previous Thread. I to live in Maryland and you can call me anytime. I went through of loosing my HeartBoy to Osteo just before Christmas 5 Years ago . There was No Tree and No Christmas Spirit . One Month later ,after numerous times going to the Shelter ,my Son drove to Gerardstown to Greyhound Rescue and told me , he would bring the neediest Hound home. Happy to say, it was Morty . This Boy has not replaced my Irska but deffinitly healed my broken Heart . Irska is forever in my Heart , it will never change . We have lots of Love to give and so it is . Lots of Hugs from here grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Thank you so much :heart This really gives me confidence, and thank you for your phone number, I don't have a phone right now (thank god for Skype) but I am ever so grateful :)

Morning everyone. It's 7am and I'm aleady up because I can't sleep. I need some hounds today :( We're going to the Towson meet and greet first and then possibly to the Frederick one as it goes on a little longer.

I really hope it makes me feel better.

(Natrually, my GPS charger has chosen to break. Looks like we might have to do this the old fashioned Mapquest way..)

Edited by starhound

Morning everyone. It's 7am and I'm aleady up because I can't sleep. I need some hounds today :( We're going to the Towson meet and greet first and then possibly to the Frederick one as it goes on a little longer.

I really hope it makes me feel better.

(Natrually, my GPS charger has chosen to break. Looks like we might have to do this the old fashioned Mapquest way..)

Good luck hugging the hounds today. I'm sure it will hurt some, but help you feel better too. We'll be thinking of you.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Ended up going to the meet and greet in Towson.. got to meet the lovely people with Greyhound pets of America and their hounds. I took some pictures and will post them up tonight sometime. I was happy being there and felt very comforted by the hounds.. but I didn't want to come home, because I knew the hound-less feeling would burn.. and it does... :(

I guess this means I should put in an application.

You know, I can't know exactly how you feel, but in a way, I've been in your place. And I waited a long time after a major loss and heartbreak, too long. We can't ever replace those who go before us, but we can care for others in their memory. I absolutely believe this. You will be doing your Brandy an honor.

If there's only one thing I know about greyhounds, it's that they'll love as best they can, as long as they possibly can. Big, big hearts.

I hope you find the one who you can heal with soon. He or she will need you, and heal you, just as much.

Guest FreddyGirl

So very glad you got some quality "hound" time today. Do whatever is right for you, When it is right for you. Sending support through cyberspace to you. Having no children nor family nearby, I can empathize with how you are feeling. If I didn't have Freddy when my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers and I had to then place him, I don't know how I would have gotten through it. And yeah, right, was there even one family member to rely on???? :grouphug

I lost my angel, my love, my heart, Wilbur, on the 15th of February. He had been with me for 8 years and was the only greyhound I've ever had. He was my third child, and I was devastated. I thought it would be months, if ever, before I could adopt again. Along came Larry....

Larry Needs a Home

I'm So Ezcited

Larry's Homecoming

I thought like you--that it would be disrespectful to Wilbur's memory, but now I feel I'm honoring him. It's amazing the healing power of these dogs. I will never, ever in a million years forget my Wilbur or stop loving him. He will ALWAYS be my baby boy. But Larry brings me joy.

Don't try to replace Brandy; you never will. Instead, think of all the wonderful, deserving hounds out there who would love a chance to warm your heart and your couch.

This is absolutely, positively true. Adrianne said it perfectly. Only you can decide when the time is right, but think about going to a M&G or some other gathering and just hang around. Pet the dogs, let the feel of their coats and muscular bodies go directly to your heart. You don't even have to reveal what happened to you if you don't want to. You will know when the time is right to adopt. In the meantime, I will pray for your heavy heart and hope that your memories of Brandy will begin to comfort you and provide healing white light.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead