Bananas

Guest GreyFan09

Guest GreyFan09

I have read here that most Greyhounds like bananas since they were fed to them at the race track. Well I tried to give Comet a piece of banana a few weeks ago because I thought he would like it. He saw me eating one and came over to investigate what it was that Dad had and he might get a taste of, so I held out a piece for him to try. He sniffed it, curled his lips up, backed up, gave me dirty look and ran in the next room and stood there looking at me with the total stink-eye! I tried several other times to give him a banana, and get the same reaction every time; he runs in the next room and I can’t get close to him if I have a banana in hand! Crazy!!! I wonder if bananas reminds him of the race track, and he thinks I’m going to ship him back or something. There are other foods he doesn’t like, but he will just sniff them and walk away, but bananas freak him out..

Does anyone get this type of reaction from there dogs with bananas or any other food? This is really goofy!

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty does not freak out,but he surely don't eat them. Never did. There are many other Foods , that other People's Hound eat like Vegetables ,Peanutbutter and Yogurt to .He just stands there,like I shall eat this.He is NOT a Food Motivated Hound.

Guest TheDoggfather

Keep in mind that not EVERY kennel offers up stuff like bananas. Even though we do, there are dogs who when given them, will not eat them.

Out of our four greyhounds only one absolutely loves bananas. Callie waits patiently with our lab, Bailey, for slices of bananas that we put on cereal in the morning. The other dogs might take a tiny piece but give us that look that says "You are trying to poison us". Sometimes we find it on the floor when they have walked off. Bailey is our floor cleaner so he will tidy up for us and pick up the dropped banana pieces. smile.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest tricolorhounds

Out of our 5, only Bonkers is bonkers for bananas... he likes carrots too. He even hears you peel a banana and will run to you with the look of "you aren't seriously going to eat that whole banana and not give me some too... are you colgate.gif "

Guest Jubilee251

Molly doesn't like bananas. The first time I tried giving her some, she mushed it around her mouth, decided she'd rather eat bacon, and spat it out on the carpet.

She does, however, enjoy romaine lettuce. :blink:

Both of ours go bananas over bananas! They also like the dehyrdrated banana chips, too.

Last week I found out by accident that they both LOVE raw broccoli florets. I accidentally dropped some on the floor and you would have thought I'd dropped chicken or beef on the floor! My boys love fruits and veggies.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest ShanYu

Nike goes crazy over bananas - he does all his tricks one after the other including the best "sit" you could imagine if I have one in my hand. I have to hide them in the kitchen or he will steal one and eat it peel and all - and guard it very aggressively if I try to take it away. He is a total food hound but bananas are his absolute favourite!

Asta has zero interest in bananas, apples, carrots, or pumpkin. She likes occasional greens, though: brocolli, green beans, peas, spinach.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest greysonly

Molly doesn't like bananas. The first time I tried giving her some, she mushed it around her mouth, decided she'd rather eat bacon, and spat it out on the carpet.

She does, however, enjoy romaine lettuce. :blink:

:lol Funny because Marley loves romaine lettuce. The bitter hard butt ends :puke He loves bananas too. In fact I don't think I have found one thing he doesn't like :lol

Guest johnandheidi

Jeff & Walter LOVE bananas! And, they eat them like little gentleman, very dainty. It's pretty cute.

Jeff will eat just about anything: bananas, toast, carrots, apples, zucchini, arugula. Walter is a little more finicky, though, he will try anything once. Actually, he'll keep trying it, even if he's already decided he didn't like it the last time he tried it. But, I will say, I think they like the well ripened bananas best.

Dogs are funny!

Guest caelanarcher

After the "track food" thread the other day, I gave Aaron a chunk of banana. He LOVED it.

Now he won't leave me alone when I drink my banana milk.

Guest Sunset123

Arrisa loves bananas... but she'll eat ANYTHING! When I'm in the kitchen she looks at me like, "hey mom... did you know that I really like pickles?? Yup, I've never tried it but I know I like it!" :P

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I never heard that Greys were given bananas. Mine definitely do not like them. I have heard that marshmallows and twinkies were used at the track at least here in Phoenix.

Guest Harry702

Harry doesn't care for bananas. The big goober is so food-motivated, though, that he'll eat a few chunks if he's really desperate and that's all he's offered. :lol

Otherwise, I've watched him pick banana chunks out of his food bowl or his Kong. :rolleyes:

Guest twhitehouse

Lexi doesn't realy care to eat bananas, but she has been known to steal them off the counter and flig them around like they're a stuffie. :lol

Guest happygrey

Tatam didn't freak out when I offered him a bit of banana but he would have no part of eating it! He hasn't liked any "people food" I've offered unless it's meat, eggs, yogurt or fish. :lol

I've offered him other fruit and veggies when he's appeared interested but he won't take them.

The guy knows what he likes! And it's protein based. :lol

After the "track food" thread the other day, I gave Aaron a chunk of banana. He LOVED it.

Now he won't leave me alone when I drink my banana milk.

I have to ask! What is banana milk?

Edited by happygrey

Opie does not like Bananas either. We have tried to give him a piece and he just leaves it in the bowl. He will eat an occasional blueberry though.

But I am betting he was given a "Nilla Wafer" cookie on the track, cuz I offered him one the other day and he grabbed it and started munching away!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12