Need Advice For Scout

Yesterday Scout had an episode in the yard where her entire rear end collapsed when she was running. We carried her in, eventually she seemed mostly okay, could walk and climb stairs. She seemed a bit restless so I gave her a Rimadyl and she was quiet the whole night and no problems this morning.

She went in for her dental, with the Vets being advised of everything. They observed and examined her, decided to do the dental. They called me two hours before she was supposed to go home becaue she was stressed. Panting and would not lay down. Same thing as last year. Brought her home, she would not stop panting. Very heavy. After about two hours, because I was so worried about her stress levels, vet told me to give her a 2mg Mylan (alprazolam).

She stopped panting and rested for a few hours. Within the last few hours she has been panting, and her legs are very shaky. She did fine when I walked her and did fine on stairs. She has just now stopped panting again. If she starts panting again would it be okay to give her another Rimadyl. It would be at least 7 hours since the Mylan, and 14 hours post anesthesia.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Maureen I have no idea but wanted to say I am sorry that Scout is hurting :( Hopefully someone can give you some great advice and help you out. :grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Energy11

I am sorry to hear Scout isn't doing well. Firstly, I would say, she has problems with anesthesia ... enough to cause what you are describing.

I am glad the Mylan helped. MY only concern about giving the Rimadyl so soon after a dental would be bleeding, BUT, if she didn't get any extractions, it should be fine. I am NOT a vet, so this is just my opinion, as a retired paramedic and vet tech.

If you can just CALL the local E-Vet's office and tell them what you just told us here, I'd feel better, than just telling you to give the Rimadyl. They might say it is fine, and also they might suggest another Mylan.

Hope Scout feels better VERY soon! Love, hugs and prayers! Dee

No extractions. This is making me crazy because I want to separate the issues. If its the anesthesia that's one thing. But if its a problem with her back legs, while I don't want her to suffer, I don't want to mask anything either. So far she has seemed to have quieted down w/o me giving her anything.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest Energy11

No extractions. This is making me crazy because I want to separate the issues. If its the anesthesia that's one thing. But if its a problem with her back legs, while I don't want her to suffer, I don't want to mask anything either. So far she has seemed to have quieted down w/o me giving her anything.

It could be both. You already had back leg issues going on, then, the dental and the anesthesia. You could be looking at two separate issues, for sure. I would definitely recommend calling a local E-vet, just to be sure the Rimadyl is ok. I hope you and she have a restful night.

Hugs! Dee ..p.s. being 14 hours post anesthesia, and having the Mylan on board, that is all it might take for her to have a restful night.

Okay thanks!

Scout is still trembling in her hind legs. I'm getting ready to call the vet, but jeeze I hate to freak her out by taking her in again. I keep hoping this might still be residual from the anesthesia.

I wonder if she pinched a nerve during that first tumble in the yard before the anesthesia.

Can't hurt to at least talk to the vet.

Maybe consider acupuncture as well...? This helped way more than chiro for my Chancy's back problems.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Energy11

Scout is still trembling in her hind legs. I'm getting ready to call the vet, but jeeze I hate to freak her out by taking her in again. I keep hoping this might still be residual from the anesthesia.

It couldn't hurt to see the vet, especially based on the fact hind end leg trembling started before the dental. Good Luck!

Guest bluefawn

Sending prayers for Scout and for you as well. :) I can't believe the vet did a dental with Scout in that condition. I think I would have waited until the initial issue was resolved. Did they do blood work before the dental? I would definitely get a 2nd opinion.

I've just seen this, Maureen! I hope you get some answers soon - poor Scout!

My gut feeling is that it's two separate issues, although if she was moved wrong during the dental, it could have exacerbated a pre-existing back issue (which may have been responsible for the tumble in the yard) and the panting could be pain. I'd want her seen again.

Let us know how she does! Fingers crossed here! :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

How is Scout feeling tonight?

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Oh--silverfish beat me to this. I too seem to think that she had hurt her back and during the dental procedure they tweeted her back when they had to move her. I would think that she's panting do to pain. Did she respond to the rimadyl?? Might want to ask your vet about getting her on tramadol. Keep in mind that while she's on rimadyl you can't use a steroid (like pred). If it is her back your vet might want her on steroids.