Muzzles

Guest kar

Does everyone use muzzles every time their dogs are out in a fenced yard. My two males are starting to have a few aggression issues in the yard. Doug does not seem to like scotch up in his face or running alongside him. I've ordered the muzzles, but just wondered if everyone used them every time they let their dogs out.

Whenever mine are off lead in a fenced in area they have muzzles on as Pop will thump Zelda's butt and she will turn around and snarl @ him :eek ...their version of play is different :lol She would rather run and run and run...he would rather knock her around :unsure So I have always used muzzles...when I had a fenced in yard every potty break their muzzles were on, even if just one went out...that way the other one could be let out with their muzzle on and it would be fair as both had muzzles on.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Does everyone use muzzles every time their dogs are out in a fenced yard. My two males are starting to have a few aggression issues in the yard. Doug does not seem to like scotch up in his face or running alongside him. I've ordered the muzzles, but just wondered if everyone used them every time they let their dogs out.

It's so safe that there is really no downside to using them. If they are not used to wearing them it may take a couple of days for them to get used to them again, but they will.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

A muzzle is way cheaper than a $200 vet bill for torn skin, take it from me! When the weather is nice mine tend to get rowdy and I'll put muzzles on them. Most of the time they don't need them, though. No harm, no foul.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Mine wear them. I've had a few fights over the years and if it weren't for muzzles we would have had a lot more vet bills than we do, especially when you have two competitive males out there. Arrow and Valentino get very competitive in the yard and what starts out as fun soon turns serious when the one who's not "winning" gets mad.:lol Seriously, it's so much better to be safe than sorry.

Since they are already showing a little aggression when outside, I'd turn them out separately until you get the muzzles.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PhillyPups

I muzzle, both in the yard and when I leave for work. They are used to them and hold their heads up for me to put them on them.

Three reasons muzzles are a win-win situation:

1. The discomfort of wearing a muzzle until they are used to them again is a whole lot less than stitches.

2. The cost of a muzzle is a lot less than a trip to the e-vet.

3. It takes less time to muzzle than drive to the e-vet.

I think of muzzles as a safety tool, how many times do you take off in your car without a seatbelt? :dunno

yup, muzzles except for felix who always has a soccer ball in his mouth! he was not kennel raised and has no idea about nipping and becoming agressive when he runs. also he can't bit another dog since he ALWAYS has a full mouth. our older female was a vampire- 18 staples later...she doned a hot pink muzzle her fashion accessory. the new pup we have doesn't wear one when she is playing soccer, she managed to get on to the leauge, but when she isn't going after a soccer ball....the fashion accessory is on her snout!

It doesn't take much of a rumble to send one or both of them to the evet for stitches. Trust me, I've been down that road. I muzzle the boys when they're outside and when I'm at work. I've started muzzling Stel when she's outside because when she gets fired up, she picks on Lizzie for some reason now. Better safe than sorry.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

All of mine wear muzzles in the yard, that $10 muzzle can save a big vet bill and a lot of heartache!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I will definitely muzzle. I do have two competitive males. They are fine in the house but separated when I'm not home. The last narling boute was just a bit too close for comfort. Thanks for the replies.

Guest Swifthounds

I muzzle, both in the yard and when I leave for work. They are used to them and hold their heads up for me to put them on them.

Three reasons muzzles are a win-win situation:

1. The discomfort of wearing a muzzle until they are used to them again is a whole lot less than stitches.

2. The cost of a muzzle is a lot less than a trip to the e-vet.

3. It takes less time to muzzle than drive to the e-vet.

I think of muzzles as a safety tool, how many times do you take off in your car without a seatbelt? :dunno

I agree wholeheartedly!

A muzzle is way cheaper than a $200 vet bill for torn skin, take it from me! When the weather is nice mine tend to get rowdy and I'll put muzzles on them. Most of the time they don't need them, though. No harm, no foul.

and $200 is cheap

The last skin tear that we had was almost $1500

Yes, always muzzled!

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Got the muzzles today - boy do they hate them. How long does it take them to stop trying to get them off? That all that they did outside - rub their faces on everything to try to remove them. Then they wanted to come back inside.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

My 3 are used to wearing muzzles even the pup who isnt a racing greyhound, they never really like wearing them but they get over the rubbing all the time. I never muzzle my pup when out in the yard if someone snarls at her she backs off right away with no response back. my male he gets muzzled a lot we should re-name him mike tyson and the broodie is only muzzled on her crabby days and when im not home she is labled as "cat workable" she gets in a mood and chases them on occasion mostly when only DH is there she knows i see everything.

Would you believe some of mine still try to get their muzzles off and I've had some of my dogs for years and they've always worn them outside.:lol I have one that lays on his back in the grass and rubs his head until the muzzle pops off his ears and he stands up and it falls on the ground.:lol They may not like them much now but soon they'll adjust to having them on outside.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest 4dogscrazy

I am a recently converted muzzler! I have had my hounds for about a year and a half, two I got in the first month and the boy was added around 6/7 months ago. With the addition of the boy, the play started getting rough and small injuries were starting to become commonplace. Got tired of blood all over my house, so about 2 months ago I started muzzling, even the lab. It really is the best for everyone, sometimes my lab gets picked on (she's older) and one of the houndies is a "fun police" type dog and nails anyone who is having more fun than her! I also get re-directed aggression with the neighbor dog once in a blue moon. One or two of them do try to rub their muzzles off, but they got used to it pretty quickly, and it really doesn't matter because I have my mind made up, muzzles on EVERY time! :colgate

Guest PhillyPups

I also muzzle when I take them out in the van. If I am passing a vehicle an one steps on another or someone decides to be snarky, it could be a real problem before I pull over to straighten it out. :rolleyes:

Although when I took them to Florida (17.5 hour ride) there were only three little growls between the 5 of em. But I would rather be safe.

When I put Gremlin's on, she continually tries to get it off by smacking it against the back of my leg, only thing she accomplishes are bruises on my legs. :lol

That is where I think my problem started, redirected agression. I have a neighbor dog who barks and just keeps jumping on the fence. He sounds like an elephant is trying to break through. First agression with mine started after this. And he does this at least twice a day when he's let out.

Guest 4dogscrazy

That is where I think my problem started, redirected agression. I have a neighbor dog who barks and just keeps jumping on the fence. He sounds like an elephant is trying to break through. First agression with mine started after this. And he does this at least twice a day when he's let out.

This is a scary problem, there is an older thread here somewhere about two dogs who really got into it badly when fence fighting. There were some stiches/staples and a drain, and it was not pretty. The mom was really upset and the fight was really bad, I think she had to break it up. Once it happened here at our house, they seem to do it every time now. My oldest girl always runs over to my lab when she barks at anything, and now the other ones run over to her too. I really don't know what would happen if they were not muzzled, and hopefully will not ever find out!