New To Group - Something Is Wrong With My Boy

Guest designerlabelga

Guest designerlabelga

I have a 9yr retired greyhound named Panther (My first of 3)- have had him since 2002 - rescued him when he was 18 mos old. He has been healthy and happy all his life. The only problem I have had is growths - like corns - but not - growing out of his front third digit pad - both feet. Had surgery 3 times - each time they come back. He limps - but never stops him from wanting to go on walks, plays, happy dog.

The last two days he has been acting funny. I noticed it more today but looking back at yesterday - he was doing it as well - but not as noticeable. If it continues I have to take him to the vet - but wanted to get some feedback in order to possibly cut down the vet bill - I am unemployed - receiving unemployment benefits and I never walk out of a vet without it running over $300.00. It seems that where I live - vets are exceedingly expensive - or I just am a magnet to the most expensive vets. I live on Orange County, CA - Silverado Canyon - so if anyone knows a good greyhound savvy vet - I am open to it.

Panther is panting, restless, and shaky. His nose is wet - gums look good - His appetite is great - no vomiting - no diarrhea. He is shedding quite a bit - but I know that's from the stress. My gut is telling me he is in pain of some sort - but I dont know from what - he doesnt wince when I check him out. There are no other symptoms except for what I mentioned. He actually just went upstairs and is sleeping. But for the last 3 hours would pace - come up to me - extra needy. Hesitant to go up/down the stairs.

I am worried - but cant afford a bunch of tests, x-rays - etc. So any guidance, feedback, comments will be greatly appreciated.

Sherri

Guest IrskasMom

Sherri, I really don't have any Advice . Do you have any Pain Medication like Rimadyl in the House, you could give him ?Give that Boy some Hugs from me. Hopefully somebody will chime in and give you some Pointers.Glad you are here. :wave:wave:wave:grouphug

Guest designerlabelga

IrskasMom - thank you so much for responding.

I don't have Rimadyl - I have never really needed anything before this. I suppose I have been very lucky with my boys. Simba cut himself really badly a couple years ago - and Coty broke his toe about 3 years ago - but that's it - healthy dogs - KNOCK ON WOOD. Is this something I can get anywhere? Or do you have to get it from a vet?

Believe me - he has been receiving tons of attention and I gave him an extra big 2" thick pork chop for dinner :)

Guest FreddyGirl

agreed, the vet needs gto determine the cause of the pain-symptoms being pacing and panting. Suggestion-ask your adoptioin group which vet they recommend/use. This is who I use and receive a 20% discount on services. It REALLY helps with 4 dogs. Good Luck and I hope he feels better soon.

I wouldn't give Rimadyl without bloodwork and or knowing what the problem is, anyway. He needs to see a vet ASAP. Please let us know how he's doing. Hugs to you both.

Guest wmlcml6

I aam sorry he is upset, but I agree that he should probably go to the vet. When my dogs pace or fret, something is wrong. Perhaps you have a vet school that charges lowered rates you can go to.

Edited by wmlcml6

Guest MyHoodies

Ask your vet if he will accept a payment plan. A friend of mine has a vet that does this for her since she has been with him for many years and lots of visits. Maybe they can help you by doing that in light of your current situation; just til you can get back on your feet. Worth a shot.

Hugs and kiss to your houndies and hoping it is nothing serious.

I'm sorry, but I really do think you need to get him to a vet. It sounds as if he's in pain, or major discomfort of some kind, and since he's nine, all kinds of things could be responsible. This isn't like a cut foot, or a split tail that you can do first aid on, this needs a professional diagnosis - it could be anything from bloat to kidney failure, cancer, or a serious infection. We can't tell.

This extra neediness usually means something important is going on, when combined with those other symptoms. I've had two dogs do this during the early stages of their final illnesses. Not wanting to worry you, because it could easily be something easy to fix, but I really would strongly advise a vet visit.

Hopefully you can work something out with your vet re payment. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest designerlabelga

OH NO - a ruptured spleen !!! EEEKS - I will call the vet first thing as soon as they open - maybe they will accept payment - I also posted at my GPA websites chat - but probably everyone is sleeping :) - I will call them too first thing and see what they suggest for a vet - I never even thought that it could be something like his spleen. It has been killing me just thinking he is in pain. But I would have thought they would whine or cry - wince - something. They are so stoic.

I am glad I posted - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

silverfish - Ok - now I am having a panic attack. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration - but pretty close. I am glad I jumped on this. Now I am feeling guilty I didnt take him in tonight to the emergency vet.

Guest Energy11

Try not to panic. It could be something as simple as arthritis, but it is most definitely pain from something.

I would definitely call your local adoption group, and maybe you could even go to the vet under THEIR discount, and pay THEM. I actually did this when my husband Bob died, and Energy had some serious dental work to be done. I was living on very tight budget, and they let me "go under" their discount, and I paid them. It worked well. SOME vets in this ridiculous economy, will also extend credit.

Please keep us posted! Wishing for something easy to "fix!"

Guest KennelMom

Is there any construction or changes in the environment that could have your pup freaked out a little bit? That can cause pacing and panting from nervousness. If not, then I agree, after two days it sounds like he needs to be seen. Be sure to tell your vet upfront that you need to really minimize the cost of diagnosis/treatment plan. I would not give any pain medication if you don't know WHY you are giving it.

If you decide to wait, keep a very close eye on the gums, hydration levels and particularly any reaction to pressure on his abdomen/belly. Nine is kinda that age where I don't like to "wait and see" too long...

Guest designerlabelga

I know - that is what is scaring me too - being 9

I am definitely going to take him to the vet today - I have to - I am just too worried. I just hope my customers will understand - they get impatient if I don't ship orders within a certain time frame, yesterday we didn't have postal service - and then ding me on my feedback.

Vet visit is in order for sure. Just out of curiosity, have you talked to Joyce about him? As for vet referals, you've got an excellent group behind you, and hopefully they will assist you

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

As far as your customers and the shipping goes, I do almost everything by mail order, and ALL of my orders have been delayed due to "weather related," issues. I am sure they'll understand a day or two's delay. Good luck at the vets!

Don't panic - it won't help! I know cause I've tried it. lol.gif

Could be something like a tweaked neck which will cause all kinds of pain for them.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way. We all know how hard it is to see our pups in pain.

As far as your customers/shipping goes, send a quick note to them and explain the situation. I know that whenever I order something, as long as I hear from the seller about a possible delay, it is fine. It is the not hearing from the seller that can upset people.

You might want to check his heart rate, which you can do with your own hand and a clock with a second hand.

Our Shane was behaving the exact same way as your boy a few weeks ago, and with a heart rate of 180. (If you wait for vet to measure it, they'll assume some of it is just due to going to the vet.) A grey's resting rate should be 55-65 or thereabouts. A high rate gets dangerous.

the vets did decide it was a pain issue, though they couldn't locate the source. Five days of a generic muscle relaxer and complete rest did the trick.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I wouldn't give Rimadyl without bloodwork and or knowing what the problem is, anyway. He needs to see a vet ASAP. Please let us know how he's doing. Hugs to you both.

I too would bring him in ASAP if not sooner. He is in pain. By giving him something, you will be masking the pain.

Please update when you find out.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

What group did he come from..........GPA/O.C. Greater Los Angeles - Joyce McRorie (fast friends)? If so call Joyce or your placement rep and they can help direct you to a vet maybe with their group discount. If you got them from this group you could also call Deb Ward, placement rep for this group. 661-250-0464. Hoping for the best outcome! Welcome to GT!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest designerlabelga

HI !!!! PLEASE DON'T YELL AT ME......I have been with my baby for 7 years - I know him very well. So this is what I did.

He slept very well last night - while I was plugging away at the internet researching away.

When he woke up - he RAN downstairs - and out the back door to go pee. When he came back, his head was still hanging a little low and faint panting. I fed him - he ate without a problem - no throwing up or diarrhea.

As soon as it hit 7:00 - I started calling vets and spoke with about 7 different vets, vet techs discussing the issue.

In the meantime, Panther went upstairs, JUMPED on my 4 poster bed - and laid down on the nice fluffy comforter. I would go up and check on him every 20 minutes. He was relaxing, no panting, no shaking - just relaxing.

My heart told me to let him relax - if he gets up and starts pacing again - doing what he did last night - I would snag him and take him in immediately.

I had two vet hospitals aware of my situation and ready for me in case I called and said I was coming..

He relaxed, without any symptoms all day - 4:00 - like clockwork - when I usually feed them dinner - he ran downstairs - ate and is back to his old self again. Went down the stairs without a problem.

I called the vet and told them I am going to wait until morning to take him in - I just want them to take a look at him just in case - my fear is a stroke or something like that - too much reading on the internet LOL - but better safe than sorry.

The main thing is he is acting MUCH better.

Forgot to mention - I was checking his vitals the entire time - his heart rate, his gums, pinching his skin to see if he was dehydrated - looking for ANYTHING else other than the panting and pacing. I still believe he is in pain - but its not as intense today. I would prefer if they did a complete blood workup before giving him any pain medication - I was reading some scary stories last night on the internet about reactions to medicine.

One moe thing - forgot this too - when he first came down for dinner - HUGE smile, wagging tale, and walking just fine.

Edited by designerlabelga