Prayers Needed For Karen And Her Little Girl, Penny

Guest Energy11

Heartbreaking story.........and now the poor darling has to endure more pain :(

It's just not fair.....

Praying for Penny and her family.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am praying for Penny and Karen. I truly hope it's something else.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

Hi again! I cannot, or do not know, how to post updates, so here I am with a regular post. I have copied and pasted Karen's letter to Dr. Couto. This not only shows what she wrote him, but updates you on Penny's condition.

Looks like for now at least, your prayers are helping! Sending love and thanks to ALL OF YOU who have send good wishes and said prayers for Little Brindle Penny and Mom, Karen! Love you! Dee

Hello Dr. Couto,

I am happy that my friend Dee sent me your information. I would like to just have a 2nd opinion and perhaps more information on a diagnosis on my 12-year old greyhound, "Penny". Penny has been in great health up until last Friday, 02/05, and then over the weekend she started favoring either her right front foot or leg, I couldn't tell which. I took her to my vet on Monday morning, 02/08, and Dr. Vernon took an x-ray and told me that she has what "looks like a tumor" on her C-6 and spinal cord. I was so very upset and was afraid that I would lose her right then and there, because she was screaming in pain. Dr. Vernon gave me a prescription for Piroxicam 10 mg, qty 10. I brought her home and made her as comfortable as I could. She seemed better the next day, and I went back to his office and asked for any further info he could give me. He said that she won't get any better, and still only said that it "looks like" a tumor, not definitively that it is. My friend Dee advised me to ask for a prescription for Tramadol for further pain mangement, and Penny has been almost like her old self the last 3 days.She has old injuries from when she was part of an "accidental" litter at a track in Mississippi. The man who had the bitch and her litter decided to do away with them, and took them to a muddy field, set them on fire, ran over them with his truck, and left them for dead. Only the bitch and 2 pups escaped with minor injuries. Penny survived, but had 2nd and 3rd degree burns all down her R side, and fractures in her vertebrae and R scapula and ribs on her R side. No one wanted to adopt her, so I made the 900 mile trip to get her. I had a little medical experience since I was an EMT-I, and was able to keep up the treatment to get her well. I told you this story because I had hoped that possibly what Dr. Vernon is seeing is maybe arthritic tissues/bone, and just to be more certain of what I am dealing with. If it is indeed a tumor, it would be helpful to know what kind of time frame I have with her, and to give me time to prepare to have her put down if that is what I need to do. If so, she will let me know when she is ready. I have been through this before with one of my other greyhounds.I don't expect a miracle although I am praying for one every day, but would really appreciate your professional opinion. I am currently unemployed, but if there is any treatment at all that I could possibly afford, I am willing to sell things out of my home to get my baby girl well. She is so much a part of my life, and is like my own child, and this is very difficult for me to deal with, especially since she has never been sick once I got her past her puppy injuries. I am mailing to you the CD which has her x-ray taken by Dr. Vernon. I am also sending along with it the vet visit notes by Dr. Vernon. The disk includes the program needed to view the x-ray. Please view it at your convenience and let me know what you think. I trust your opinion, because I know my friend Dee knows her veterinary professionals :)I am sorry that this email is so long, but I have worked on computers for so long that my handwriting is terrible and I knew you could better read my note via email.Thank you so much Dr. Couto!Sincerely,Karen Chandler

Edited by Energy11

Guest Energy11

All I can offer is love and hope for a peaceful goodbye.

I am so sorry.

Be at peace Penny! You were loved!

Sorry you misunderstood. Penny is still with Karen :-)) She is asking Dr. Couto for a second opinion on the suspected "tumor." So, for now, it is good news.

Guest Adrianne

It breaks my heart to read in Karen's letter what Penny went through as a puppy. It makes me very angry at the cold heart that did that to her and her family. angryfire.gif

C'mon Penny. Get better for your mama. Sending lots of love and prayers.

Guest Energy11

It breaks my heart to read in Karen's letter what Penny went through as a puppy. It makes me very angry at the cold heart that did that to her and her family. angryfire.gif

C'mon Penny. Get better for your mama. Sending lots of love and prayers.

Yes, it was SICKENING what Penny, her Mom, and her sibblings went through as puppies. Luckily, not ALL greyhound/kennel owners are like this. I seriously doubt, ANYONE would have adopted Penny, and put as much time and energy into her, as Karen did. They are EXTREMELY close! Penny is like Karen's other daughter, and she refers to Amy and Penny as sisters :-))

Thanks for your love and prayers for this TINY girl. Penny never weighed more than 50 pounds, and she is VERY tiny.

Sending love to you and Wilbur! Dee

O....M........G...........you do KNOT want to know what I think of that kennel owner. I know people who know people, if you know what I mean. angryfire.gif There are no words. Just won't waste any more cosmic energy on that SOB, but am redirecting all positive energy to Penny and Karen and Amy. Praying for a different diagnosis from Dr. C.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest longdoglady

No wonder Penny and Karen are so close, could hardly read for tears, praying for positive news from Dr Couto, you are so lucky to have him to turn to for advice.

My Anna is a tiny 49lb brindle, they melt your heart with their dainty sassiness, so sending hope and prayers from one tiny grey girl mom to another. :hope

Keeping Penny and Karen in our thoughts. I really hope it's not a tumor.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

Both Karen and I think the good news for Penny and Goldie is mostly due to YOU guys and all of your good thoughts and prayers! THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE! Dee and Karen