Best Salve For Cuts And Scrapes?

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

I'm a new grey owner and my boy has some cuts and scrapes on his legs and chest. One on his leg is getting rubbed or something while he's sleeping because I've been finding blood spots/smears on his bed. I'm wondering if it's ok to put some neosporin on them (or something like that) to get them to heal faster. We don't have a first vet appt. till early next week (we just adopted him last Sunday).

Thanks for any suggestions!

No need to use antibiotics.

Bag Balm works OK for minor stuff. I like EMT Gel, but it's harder to find. Lastly, for punctures- do nothing. Creating an anaerobic environment (or, worse, creating a necrotic, anaerobic environment by treating with peroxide) is bad juju. The vet should manage punctures that are worrying.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Energy11

I swear by Trypzyme-V spray or liquid. It sluffs of the old skin as it heals. I have used it on large cuts, and it really worked well. http://www.bizrate.com/dog-supplies/trypzyme-v/

Good Luck!

No need to use antibiotics.

Bag Balm works OK for minor stuff. I like EMT Gel, but it's harder to find. Lastly, for punctures- do nothing. Creating an anaerobic environment (or, worse, creating a necrotic, anaerobic environment by treating with peroxide) is bad juju. The vet should manage punctures that are worrying.

Yes, puncture wounds are something a vet should see, for sure.

I have had the best luck with Bach Rescue Remedy Cream. I had been battling an owie on my dogs leg for awhile using things like bag balm and pure aloe I cut off of my plants w/o much success. A friend kept recommending the Bach cream to me and I looked at it and decided it was 'over priced hippy juice'. My friend finally got fed up and sent me a tube of it. I saw immediate positive results.

It's the cream that is the center of the pic on this page

http://www.bachflower.com/

Guest Bang_o_rama

Well, if Bang ever finds her life unhappy and withdraw into fantasy worlds, fears losing control of her thoughts and actions and doing things that she knows are bad for her or which she considers wrong, or simply has no patience for what she sees as the slowness of others, then I will certainly get some Bach Flower remedies. For cuts, sores and abrasions I think I will stick to Neosporin, or maybe Bag Balm for moisturization.

~D~

I've seen EMT gel at Bass Pro Shops in the past, but it's not on their website now.

Tractor Supply, however, has EMT gel, apparently in the Horse section.

2170063.jpg

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-health/horse-wound-care/gordons-emt-gel-for-horses-2170063

$14.99 for a 1-oz. tube (a little goes a LONG way).

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.