Acupuncture?

Guest Amber

My 12 y.o. Oscar has v. bad arthritis (he can still walk though - he's on max. pain medication). I'd heard good things about acupuncture for arthritis so thought I'd give it a try and we had our first session last Thursday evening, the vet agreed to a home visit.

I didn't think it would be painful or a problem, as I've had acupuncture myself once and the needles aren't painful. But she did a physical exam of his musculature, with some rather 'firm' kneading. I had warned her that he had pain in his right shoulder, but she found the 'trigger point' in his shoulder and this must have been extremely painful, as he turned and air snapped at her (strong warning) and she asked me to muzzle him, which I did. Following that he let out a few low growls at the rest of the exam. He was OK during the actual acupuncture.

Since the session, he's gone off his food and just picks at it (very unusual he's normally greedy) will eat treats though. He is also being a bit grumpy with my other dog if she lies too near him (he does go through grumpy phases expecially when not feeling well, but up until this vet visit, he had been really good lately). He generally just seems a bit off. His mobility seems a little better though.

Not sure whether to continue the sessions or not? He does tend to get quite traumatised by bad or painful experiences! And I don't want to have to live with a grumpy dog who dreads his acupuncture sessions. But maybe she won't need to do another exam like that and he might really benefit from the treatment.

Not sure what to do?

Guest Energy11

I KNOW accupuncture and herbs have worked for other greyhound owners I know. ME? I would NOT do this (what you described) again. I got totally ticked off when I agreed DH could take Cari to The Chi Institute in Ocala FL for GPA Senior Sanctuary, to use for theraputic and "demonstrations" ... NEVER AGAIN, as they gave her a B-12 shot behind her ear, for stress, which I WOULD NOT HAVE AUTHORIZED!

I was trained in traditional medicine, and while I think in SOME CASES, alternative medicine can help, I would rather stay with the traditional thoughts and practices myself.

I do NOT feel good about what your Oscar went through. It was NOT a good idea for the therapist to cause pain to a dog that old (*just MY opinion).

Hope this all turns out well, and you KNOW you were well-meaning in trying to help your Oscar. Good Luck!

My bridge angel Margo had a bad back. She had accupuncture & chinese herbs no other

pain killers. The vet used the info from the MRI to treat her. She had no bad

experiences, no pain due to the treatment & was always better off after her treatments. She had those treatments for over 3 years. She was just shy of 14 when

I lost her to something other than her back.

Make sure your therapist is certified to do accupuncture,

doing these procedures who arent qualified.

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I've used acupuncture for pain on several greys with good results. With one, the first treatment did seem to be painful, but subsequent ones went much better. I've read that this is the case sometimes. You might want to hang in there for 3-4 treatments to give it a fair trial.

That said, I also believe in going with your gut, and if you think the vet was too rough with Oscar, or wasn't listening to you, then I don't think it's wrong to quit, or to try to find another practitioner.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My galgo, Dandi, has frequent flares of neck and back pain and has benefited tremendously from acupuncture. He's also on Chinese herbs, not only for his back but for his recurrent ear infections. I see a huge difference in Dandi's mood and comfort level within a few hours of his treatment.

I do recall that when starting acupuncture, the dog (or human) can actually have increased symptoms for the first couple of sessions, but usually around the third session is when you should begin to see improvement. On days when Dandi is very owie, our acupuncture will target the bad areas and unfortunately Dandi isn't thrilled about this, but by the next day he's much happier.

If you can possibly hang in there, it may just be a matter of 1-2 more sessions, and I'd really expect to see improvement at that point. I bring Dandi in every 2 weeks -- if we go longer than that, I can see the difference. But my experience with Dandi has made me a huge fan of acupuncture.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

My first question would be, does she need to do another "exam"? It sure sounds like the acupuncture itself has given him some relief, but the exam probably made him pretty sore. If she can't or won't do it without the "exam", I would get another acupuncturist.

Hi

The practitioner is a fully qualified 'western' vet, not a Chinese herbalist (she is German though! Don't know if that has any bearing!). She works with patients at my own vet's clinic and they recommended her. Other than the examination issue, she seemed really good and experienced. It was the pain of the exam that worried me and worried Oscar. I've got to the bottom of the not eating - he coincidentally the day after his session finally (after 3 months) figured out that I was slipping his Tramadol pill into his food! That's why he wasn't eating. The grumps I put down to feeling more sore and 'touchy' after session.

Edited by Amber

I took Jim, then Jack for acupuncture and I believe it helped them both, but Jim most. It was almost like a fountain of youth for him, he'd drag in, and bounce out.

I would NOT permit the vet to hurt him again like that though. One of the vets at the last practice we used did that, and I refused to see him again. The other vets got the answers they needed without hurting my poor old boy. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Just wanted to add: I think the vet did what she did to diagnose exactly the problem areas. OTOH I took him to a McTimoney Chiropracter a few years ago and she was so gentle and didn't hurt him at all. I would have kept on with that regularly but there is no one in my city who does it. I think that's why I was a bit shocked/surprised at her manipulation of his body...there is another vet locally who I've seen a few times with my dogs and seems a gentler sort of person, she does acupuncture too (different vet practice) maybe could try her. One of my friend's uses her for acupuncture on her lurcher, so I might ask my friend how she examines the dog.

Edited by Amber

Guest mickie37

My boy Lupo had his first exam and cold laser accupuncture treatment last week. He has neck problems and just recovered from an acute episode of pain and weakness. There was no real pain during the exam, a little ouchie and the vet moved to another spot.

Good luck.

Guest Energy11

I think accupuncture is A WONDERFUL THING, ... and I might use it as an alternative to traditional medicine. I just don't agree (and this is just ME), with some of the techniques the non-traditional people use.

Cari had NO complaints when she went to the Chi Institute. I allowed her to be a "guinea pig," for the students there, and to me, there was no reason for the B-12 shot. DH was there, or I would never have given permission. She was only five at the time, and again, her only "complaint," was her fear of thunder and noises.

I have many friends who use accupuncture with EXCELLENT results. You never know ... someday, I might, too, but with a lot of research.