Pedigree Overviews

Guest rockingship

Guest FullMetalFrank

Rock, I feel like a crumb for asking; I can't afford the donation right now but could you do one for my dear Iberia? It would be a nice thing to put with all his other "stuff"....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bumpers Barbie

Rock - since I didn't have enough info on the dam line for Bumper and Dawn - would you do Iberia's in place of theirs? I already sent my donation in, got a thank you letter and had it shredded by the girls.

Iberia's racing name is WD's Iberia, Mo Kick x True Yankee.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest rockingship

Barbie, what a nice gesture....and when you do get the info on yours, the rundown is on me.

I would be honored to do a piece on Iberia and family.... and since Barbie has missed her turn, we'll do him next.....if nobody minds....

Guest rockingship

Frankie&Iberia

WDs Iberia by Mo Kick x True Yankee

The late Walt Collins of Arizona must have been the breeder of Iberia, as he carries the WDs prefix….as did the great WDs Chris, (Fast Company x Hill Gale), who was the Biscayne Track Champion, winner of the Biscayne Open and the Biscayne Derby in 1979 and a finalist in nearly all the great Florida stakes races in his illustrious career. That was capped off when he received the coveted All American berth, in 1979. Although he and Iberia are not closely related, they both are connected to the same breeder of quality greyhounds.

Iberia has emerged from the great Fawn Rita family, which is one of the most influential of our “domestics”. It is the family of the great Hall Of Fame sire Johnny Leonard (Rita Revo), the superb sire champions Great Valor (Mixed Harmony x Nobility), My Friend Lou (Ample Tip x Win Dixie), Carry On (Westy Whizzer x Bobs Vickie) and Whizzer Ben (Westy Whizzer x Mable Seto) ….and the family of American Derby winners Clydesdale, (the brother of Great Valor)…… LGs Ada (Westpark Highlight x Fluent Miss)….and Nitrana (Clydesdale x Opportunist).

Today, it is the family of young sire sensation, Flying Penske (Oshkosh Racey x Shes A Natural) ….and many others of note, too numerous to mention, and some of whom we have alluded to in previous articles.

It seems fitting that Iberia has emerged from the Flashy Bid branch of this family, as it is the direct branch of both Clydesdale, Great Valor and Flying Penske------3 Fawn Rita family members who were exemplary of the best this family has offered to breeders, trainers and fans of the sport for decades.

As a matter of fact, Rebel Sue, who is the 4th dam to Iberia, is also the dam of the great Dias Stormy Day, a fine racer and a true brood matron classic-----being the dam of Roosters Spur, Fast N Loose, and Grit N Steel, all superb producers by Rooster Cogburn…..and the direct female ancestor to the relentless Flying Penske.

Iberia’s 2nd dam, Al’s Heaven, won the Wonderland Derby in 1984, going box to wire….(a race in which your humble servant handled Captain Burton who, sadly, took a bad step and fractured a hock early in the race). She was a fine, mostly white bitch, who had made her reputation earlier, winning the Seabrook Derby, and who stepped up to the plate at Revere, and outrapped all the fast trappers when the money was on the line. I believe that Wayne Strong, the breeder of Rooster Cogburn, Sand Man and Highway Robbber, handled Al’s Heaven.

Damsire to Iberia, Dutch Bahama, is a 2 time winner of the American Derby, and is one of the great “breed shaping” sires in recent history. He is from the family of Miss Hot Rod, also the family of the highly regarded young sire, Oshkosh Slammer (Oshkosh Racey x Oshkosh Video).

Mo Kick, the sire of Iberia, is one of the fastest and most highly accomplished racers in recent memory, from the great Irish female family of Sallys Gossip, also the family of the incomparable Share Profit, Monalee Champion’s finest son ever to grace our shores---and another “breed shaper”.

While Mo Kick did not enjoy a the sort of sire career one might have envisioned for a greyhound of his enormous talents, he will go down in history as one of the most well-performed racers from his superb female family, which is among the elite in the greyhound racing world….and is the family of the great American Derby winner Twilight Belle (Money Grand x Pelican Queen), Irish Derby champ Cool Performance (Mustang Jack x Pony Nikita), and is represented today in the US, by the fine sire, Evening Memory (HBs Commander x Morning Memory).

As a well-performed descendent of the great Fawn Rita, Iberia is keeping some marvelous family company about now…..

RIP

Edited by rockingship

Guest rockingship

Bonnie J

Ray Saul by Rodney Ramm x Darling Run

Ray Saul is yet another member of the extensive Miss Judy family, which is also the family of prepotent and extraordinary sire HBs Commander, future Hall Of Fame brood matron Buzz Off, and, much earlier in history, the incomparable Real Huntsman, a 2 time winner of the legendary American Derby.

This particular branch of the family is a somewhat obscure one, and I cannot connect it to any current day sires or performers of note…..which is not to say that it is not connected to any, only that I can’t find any in my personal records. However, it was not always the case.

I believe the breeder Lester Cole was the developer of the line that emerged from the mating of Hall Of Fame stayer extraordinaire Beach Comber to White Chapel, who is the 9th dam to Ray Saul. Ginnie Cole, the 6th dam to Ray Saul, is a half-sibling to Sharp Circle (Rocker Mac x Mine and Yours)….who is the 3rd dam to Vivian Cole (Big Ziggy x Kandy Cole), the winner of the US Marathon Championship at Biscayne in 1984.

Ginnie Cole is also the 2nd dam to the fine marathoner, MCs Moonspinner by Js Fat Back and out of Lady Hipockets----whose littermate, Sissy Hipockets, is the 5th dam to Ray Saul.

RRs Gold Boy (Onie Jones x C Pee’s Fern), another stayer and a decent sire of the later 70s, carries Shy Cole (Mac Tray x Mine and Yours) as his 2nd dam. RRs Gold Boy, interestingly enough, is the 2nd damsire to the fine racer and current sire, Big Boy Baggio, a winner of the prestigious Hecht Marathon Stakes, who is by Rodney Ramm-----as is Ray Saul. Rodney Ramm, additionally, carries RRs Gold Boy as his own damsire!

So, in the pedigree of Ray Saul, we see the direct female family re-inforced through the paternal damsire to Ray Saul.

Rodney Ramm is from the Whirly branch of the great My Kit (My Laddie x Kitty Dunn, a Hall of Fame brood matron), female family….this is the direct branch of the family from which American Derby winner Junes Tuffy (Rifemeir x Cool June) emerged…..and it is a branch of the family of another direct female descendent of Kitty Dunn -----Lucky Terra----who is the 2nd dam to the All American racer, and the superb sire, Perceive----the maternal grandsire to Ray Saul.

Terrific linebreeding.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Thanks, Barbie and Rock, that was really nice. Made me cry; but what doesn't these days! I'll keep a copy of it with all his "stuff", along with all the lovely cards and notes everyone's sent. Thanks again...

robbie

Guest rockingship

Sherylw

Kiowa Magic Pal by Flying Train x CTW Magic Genie

This greyhound is from one of the legendary and most well documented female families in the American paradigm. It can be traced back well to before the turn of the century, to the taproot European ancestor, Lady I----of unknown origin.

Here in New England, this family has special meaning to veteran race trainers and breeders. Because it is the family of the great American Derby winner, and influential sire, Cactus Noel (Metal Jet x Loretta’s Pick), who was bred and raised just a few miles down the road from where I write this, by Altino “Mo” Gouveia, a local, small-time breeder/trainer. Cactus Noel’s stunning victory in the prestigious American Derby, dispelled forever the myth that one could not raise a world-class greyhound in the swampy, snowy New England area----which had stigmatized many worthy sires and dams who were based here. Cactus Noel dispelled the stereotype.

Interestingly enough, Kiowa Magic Pal carries Cactus Noel’s full sibling, Loveable Amy, as her 7th dam, so she is from the exact same direct branch of the family as is her famous and illustrious ancestor.

Moreover, her 5th dam, Berkley Yo Yo (Air Patrol x Berkley June) was acquired from Gouveia by Oklahoma breeder DQ Williams, and is the direct female ancestor, not only of Kiowa Magic Pal, but is the dam of 1982 Wonderland Derby winner Ijusplanowinner (by SS Louie). Hangontowin (Snazzey Boy x Do Bee A Lady), a fine sire, who was a 1985 All American and winner of the Hecht Marathon stake, is also a member of this direct branch, Berkely Yo Yo being his 2nd dam.

Another branch of this classic, “domestic” family is expressed by the enigmatic and supremely talented and influential 2 time American Derby winner, Dutch Bahama (Hairless Joe x Dutch Debit), as they share the common tail female ancestor, a circa 1920s female named Coronet (Staff Officer x Wishing Ring).

Oshkosh Slammer (Oshkosh Racey x Oshkosh Video), a highly regarded young sire, is another member of this branch to which Dutch Bahama belongs. Both branches tend toward the expression of great stamina, or “staying” aptitudes among their descendents----which is another way of saying that they can “run all day”.

Damsire Trouper Zeke brings in the superb Irish family of Nelly Ply, through his fine dam, Nice Catch (Kunta Kinte x Peaceful Car), and this direct branch of that influential family is also that of the brother combination of Mocan Try and Mocan Speed (Mi Designer x Sparkling Babe), the latter of whom was an exceptionally promising sire, until his premature passing…and the former of whom was a Multnomah Derby champion, and is currently at stud, and enjoying some success. LPD Makers Mark (Tipp Lad x Didja) is another excellent racer and fine sire from this branch of Nelly Ply….one of whose other great producing descendents, Air Patrol (Prairie Flash x Dainty Sister) is the 5th damsire to Kiowa Magic Pal.

Flying Train, the sire of Kiowa Magic Pal, is from the family of Sheffeld Lass, which is also the taproot to many of the great “LLs” prefix greyhounds, and is more well known through the influential “blue hen” dam, Wild Nancy, whom we have discussed at length in previous articles.

Guest rockingship

Myboyz

Price War by Big Blitz x Beyond Panic

This greyhound is from a very arcane female family in Ireland, for which I have not too many records of progeny-----which leads me to believe it is probably a coursing line, or simply a non-commercial line that is probably bred privately.

Still, it managed to find its way to America, and is best known to me through Trifecta Mary (Oshkosh Pro x Sweet Kathy), a Colorado Sprint Champion of the late 70s, who holds the distinction of having lost a match race with the great Downing. It needs to be said that even assuming Trifecta Mary might have been competitive with one such as Downing, speaks volumes to her abilities. Trifecta Mary carries Corigeen Fire as her 3rd dam. Corigeen Fire is the 6th dam to Price War.

Trifecta Mary is the 2nd dam to 1984 Phoenix stakes winner Parsec (Billy Cannon x Big Mare).

And we see this family persevering, still, in Europe, via the Swedish sire, Quantico Rebel Fox, whose sire, Judgement Call is out of Tennyson Lady, who is the 2nd dam to Price War. Greyhound data says that Quantico Rebel Fox is the fastest dog of all time over the 500m course in Sweden, where most of the racing is done through clubs and associations.

Damsire Deenside Spark (Meeniyan Prince x Crossford Daisy) was a highly influential sire in Ireland and the UK, and is extremely interesting because he is from the same female taproot as the great Irish foundation sire, Tanist (Inler x Tranquilla) , both of them tracing back to the foundation female Na Boc E (Dick the Liar x Coolkeragh). Tanist is the sire of Mad Tanist (x Mad Darkie), who is to the Irish, roughly, what Rural Rube is to the US---the first great and dominant domestic sire to emerge from the "new" sport of track tracing.

Big Blitz, the sire of Price War, is from the old Ben Jaques female family of Kiego, who was herself a National Brood Matron Champion, and whose daughter Velma K(by Great Valor) is the dam of Oshkosh Champ and Oshkosh Snow, by Cactus Lonesome---- historically important siblings, who are often found in female influencing positions in pedigrees of note.

The well-regarded and promising sire, Iruska Excalibur (Oshkosh Racey x Budding Flimflam) is a direct female descendent of Kiego, as is Big Blitz, an underrated sire, whose daughter Blitzen Millie (x Boardwalk Annie), is near the top of the current dam standings.

Edited by rockingship

Guest rockingship

Siouxbee

G Shock Rush and Fight Night by My Rooster x Dynamic Doubt

These scrumptiously bred siblings are from the Irish female family of Kalendar, which is a small, though potent clan of excellent producing females and males. The first great impact sire to emerge from this family was Cheerful Chariot (Bellas Prince x Kilcomney Hostess).

He was the sire of the great Which Chariot (x Which Side), who is a foundation sire of the first water, and counts among his progeny Max Moss (x Elsie Moss), the damsire to the great Ks Flak.....his full sibling Joe Moss, the damsire to the great Rural Rube Award winner Montague Friend (Sunbow x Montague Blonde).....and another sibling, Mister Moss, the damsire to Temlee (Tivoli Chief x Temora Lee), arguably the most accomplished and dominant sire in the history of the breed, certainly the greatest ever in Australia.

More recently, we have witnessed Kalendar family members, the superb Whisper Wishes (Sand Man x Micklem Drive) emerge in Ireland as a sire of some historical importance......and the American bred Chet (Understood x Sterrett), an American Derby runnerup who was exported to Ireland, and despite having only a modest sire career there, is the damsire to recent Irish Derby winner, the sensational Bypass Byway (Spiral Nikita x Sandy Penny).

The American bred and based sire Crystal Firelite (Hes My Man x Coastal Grape) represents this family in the US today.

Damsire Grand Investment is from the Irish family of Badger Lass, which first burst onto the US scene in the early 70s, as expressed through the great Westy Whizzer son MKs Ted Squirt (x Tims Shamrock), who was a Taunton Sprint Champion and Gold Collar winne......but who was, unfortunately, plagued by fertility problems after his racing career. He was one of Westy Whizzer's finest sons. His half sibling, MKs Crystal, by Madison Joker, is the 2nd dam to Grand Investment.

My Rooster is an accomplished sire from the female family of Maythorn Pride, through the great Miss Hilary, which is a breeding dynasty, about which we have already expounded in several previous posts.

Edited by rockingship

Guest Tiffany
Bonnie J

Ray Saul by Rodney Ramm x Darling Run

Oh!!!! Darling Run is Casey's Mom!!!! Casey is out of Fantastic Memory and Darling Run. Mr. John P. Thompson owned Darling Run. He was a really nice man! :)

Guest rockingship

Joyce

Malachi Threeten by Ace Performer x Hamms First

This greyhound has emerged from a somewhat arcane female family, which can be traced to a circa 1940s female named Red Myrt. I am sure this is a branch of a much more extensive family, but I cannot orient it.

The excellent racer Rural Treasure (My Friend Lou x Longs Pick) carries Red Myrt as his 2nd dam. Rural Treasure won the Raynham International Derby and was a 2 time All American in the mid 60s. He can be found, today, in the pedigree of dual stakes winner currently at stud, Pekalo (Nicky Picky x Light Smash) as the 3rd paternal damsire to his well-performed sire, Nicky Picky.

Field Broker (Gogodalla x Sweet Tater) to whom Red Myrt is 3rd dam, is the damsire to the great Phoenix puppy sensation Oklahoma Gunner (PL Greer x CWs Beth).

Today, we see this family amply expressed through the excellent stakes competitor on the St. Pete circuit, Tyler Clem (Husker Gazette x Husker Hemp), who is still currently active, as far as I am aware.

Damsire to Malachi Threeten, precocious and historically important sire, Understood, brings in the female family of Bouncy Belle, which is the direct family of American Derby winners Abella (Lucky Bannon x Orange Ice) and her daughter by Dillard, the great Position, also an American Derby winner.

So we have, in the procession of that family, Lucky Bannon, an American Derby winner, begetting Abella, who wins the same race, and who begets Position, who completes the trifecta....wow!!.....that is what breeders and trainers mean by "class".

Ace performer, the sire of Malachi Threeten, is from the family which can be traced to a British Isles greyhound named Hi Yo Dogie......whose direct descendent, Macs Diane is the 4th dam to Ace Performer, and also the dam of the tremendous Raynham Derby winner, All American and superb sire, Tuf Miler, by Cactus Lonesome.

Tuf Miler, among his many accomplishments as a racer and sire, threw the extraordinary American Derby winner, All American, Mr Wizzard (x JMs Mod C).

This family was dealt a crushing blow to its prolificity, with the premature passing of the great multiple stakes champion and All American Shata Vallie (Splishin Vallie x Nordic Princess).

Today, it is represented by the fine racer and aspiring sire Blazin Blitz (Big Blitz x Boardwalk Annie)....(one of my favorites).

Edited by rockingship

Rockingship,

Thanks so much! I enjoy reading all these histories, and I know you are working your poor fingers to death typing. The pups appreciate your efforts too, so thanks again!

Sue

Guest rockingship

Thanks, Sue....I'm glad you are enjoying the articles. I enjoy researching them as well....but you're right----I'm an awful typist....;o)....I've tried to talk my wife, who is a professional typesetter, into taking dictation as I pontificate-----ha ha----you can imagine what her response was.......

Edited by rockingship

Guest rockingship

Joyce

DVs Sir John, by Bushnell Mickey x Personal Liz

This beautifully bred and handsome greyhound is yet another member of the all-important Inler May family of Ireland, which as we have mentioned is a dynasty of icons, who are best known in this country through the descendents of Maythorn Pride and her direct line descendent, the contemporary and prolific sire, Fortress.

DVs Sir John is from another branch of the family, which comes down to us through the great female April Merry, who is the dam of Westpark Mustard, (by Newdown Heather), a UK racer who set what was then a record of 20 consecutive wins, a feat that was thought to be considerable enough by the Editor, that it made the pages of Sports Illustrated in the '70s .

Murrays Mixture (Brush Tim x Stylish Heather) an Irish Derby winner of the early '80s, carries April Merry as his 3rd dam.

The great "race-for-charity" performer, fan favorite, and freshman Irish sire, Late Late Show, (Spiral Nikita x Ullid Citrate) who is said to be the greatest wage earner in the history of the sport in the UK and Ireland, is a direct female line descendent of April Merry.

The lovely Diamond Eyes (Monalee Champion x Creggane Heather), a Lincoln stakes winner of the later '70s is another well-performed line descendent of April Merry.

He's My Man, the damsire to DVs Sir John, brings in the Transpat family of the great contemporary sire Gable Dodge, through Wise Liz (Share Proifit x Katy Did), a major stakes-placed performer on the old Miami circuit.

The Wise Liz branch of this family is the direct branch of American Derby winner Deuces Wild (Molotov x Pookys Rowdy), the accomplished sire Black Streaker (Unruly x Fast Liz), as well as the full sibling to He's My Man, and the greyhound who ran him down to win the St Patrick Invitational at Palm Beach, the superb Right Connection.

Sire, Bushnell Mickey traces back to a UK female named Dolce, ca. 1907. Dolce is the taproot to the great English Derby winner Own Pride (Always Proud x Kitty True), who is the sire of none other than Maythorn Pride.

Own Pride's full sibling, Girvan Kate, is the 3rd dam toTrade Official (Greenpark Fox x Trade Gold) the sire of dual Derby winner (English and Scottish) Chart King (x Clarinka Sand).

Another Dolce descendent is racetrack foundation sire, Endless Gossip (Priceless Border x Narrogar Ann), who is the sire of the great Sallys Gossip (x Castle Yard), and who is the damsire to Tell Tom (Tell You Why x Irish Kappy)... who is the damsire to Wise Liz....whose sire, Share Profit, carries Sallys Gossip as his 4th dam.

Spectacular stuff.

Edited by rockingship

Guest rockingship

Jude'sMom

Craigie Helen, by Craigie B There x Concord Lite

Craigie Helen, another greyhound from the great and influential Fawn Rita family, descends form the Rayoner branch of the family, and this is one of the damlines of the Hall Of Fame breeder Orville Moses, whose greyhounds were legendary in and beyond their own time----having won an unprecedented 4 American Derbies (Clydesdale '57, Feldcrest '58, Serape '60 and Nitrana '65).

Moses greyhounds were all based on or around the descendents of the great and legendary Lucky Pilot/Butterflies crosses, and their affinity for the Fawn Rita family....and later, for the Australian descendents of Chief Havoc, under the custodianship of Moses' protege Jack Kahn, of the 'Ks' prefix (breeder of Ks Flak, one of the greatest greyhounds of all time)

From Reva Rita, the 2nd dam to Rayoner and the 8th dam to Craigie Helen, we see that Nitrana's dam, Opportunist, is a half sibling to Flourish, the dam of Rayoner----each of them being daughters of Reva Rita.

Interestingly enough, American Derby winner Nitrana herself, is by another Fawn Rita family greyhound of Moses, American Derby winner Clydesdale (Mixed Harmony x Nobility), whose damsire is Lucky Pilot/Butterflies son Pageant---who is also the sire of Nitrana's dam, Opportunist!.....

Ks Broadway (Nicky Finn x Ks Majorette), the multiple stakes champion, Rural Rube Award winner and Captain of the All American Team of 1987 is another direct female line descendent of Rayoner.

Craigie Helen is a direct female family relative of the superb 2002 Seabrook Great Race winner, Gable Vermillion (Gable Dodge x Seegold Panache), whose dam is a half sibling to the impressive young sire Seegold Big Red and his full sibling, also at stud, Seegold Excel (Greys Statesman x Bar X Celeste. They all descend from Ks Actress, the 4th dam to Craigie Helen.

Damsire to Craigie Helen, Evening Memory, is another fine sire from the female family of Promesse, she being the foundation of many of the best greyhounds who carry the Oshkosh prefix of Bill Pollard.

Evening Memory, a winner of the Woodlands and St Pete sprint stakes, moreover, is from an outstanding litter of greyhounds, which included Fantastic Memory, Rocksteady Eddie and Awesome Memory.

Morning Memory, the dam of Evening Memory, is also the 2nd dam to the successful sires, siblings by Fortress, Fortified Speed and Fortified Power.

Craigie B There, the sire of Craigie Helen, brings in the great Michigan Vickey family of American Derby winner PL Greer and Flashy Sir Award winner, and all time great stayer, Ps Rambling.

A classic American pedigree.

Edited by rockingship

Guest rockingship

Bert

Chip McGrath, by Ps Raising Cain x Holly D

While the female family of Chip McGrath is among the oldest on 2 continents, it is still among those whose descendents are the height of functionality, if not fashionability, and as we shall see, with good reason.

It can be traced back to a pre-turn of the century female named Cosy, who is the 4th dam to Wild Bill (Wild Gus x Lady Bug) a foundation sire of some importance. Wild Bill's daughters, Wilda Wild Bill, Lady Clare, and Kissing Bug, are the tail female ancestors.... respectively.....

......to our most important domestic sire of the 40s and 50s, Mixed Harmony......

.....to Royal Princess, the matriarch of our most prolific domestic female family.....

......and to the sensational contemporary All American and Derby Lane Sprint Classic Champion, Kiowa Sweet Trey, and his sibling, 2002 American Derby winner Kiowa Sweet Joe (Oswald Cobblepot x TMs Sweet Dream)------who are both, incidentally, not only descendents of Wild Bill daughters, but are also members of the Cosy female family, as is Chip McGrath...... and they are all from the Norma Lou (Cooper x True Test) branch of this family, which has been the most prolicfic.

In the 70s this family was amply represented by the fine and prolific sire Jenos Leo Go (SS Jeno x RLs Royal Missy), who is the damsire to American Derby winner Fuels Stargazer (Black Aztec x Fuel Selector) and the 3rd damsire to Tada (Minaki Zeke x No Boys Toy), a recent winner of the Grady Sprint Championship Stakes at Revere, and the Seabrook Great Race......

Toms The Best (Frightful Flash x Ladys Guest), a winner of both the Irish and English Derbies in 1998, and a hugely influential sire across the water, is yet another member of the female family of Cosy...the female family of Chip McGrath.

Damsire to Chip McGrath, Preston Pramas, is from an arcane Irish family,which can be traced to a foundation female named Swanky Fly. This family is most important to us in the USA, as it is the direct female line to Always Proud (Clonalvy Pride x Always A Rebel), who is the sire of English Derby winner Own Pride-----the sire of Maythorn Pride, of whom we have written much in these frames.

Ps Raising Cain, the sire of Chip McGrath, is a perennial, contemporary leading US sire, who is from the same Michigan Vickey female family from which PL Greer and Ps Rambling had previously emerged.

Edited by rockingship

Guest Guest_Bert

Thanks Rockingship. The pedigrees are so interesting and you write them with much respect to the history of greys.

Good work.

Guest rockingship

Bert, thank you for the kind expressions. I'm afraid I can't really even begin to do it justice in these small, generalized pieces, which is the only negative about undertakings such as these..... for those whose interest is piqued, the racing greyhound pedigree record is an endless source of wonderment and fascination, which awaits to enchant, bemuse, and astonish any and all who take the time to become acquainted with it. We owe Holger a tremendous debt of gratitude for unselfishlingly sharing the marvellous compellation of material on his greyhound-data.com pedigree website, with the international greyhound racing, breeding, adoption and fan community.

Thanks again, Rockingship. These have been so much fun to read and each must take a considerable amount of time to research.

It's kind of strange to think how our greys must have been worth a small fortune when they were young. I guess the best thing is that they're priceless to us.

Thanks again.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest rockingship

I'm glad you are having fun reading about the rich and amazing history of everyone's cherished pets and companions. Some of them are indeed spectacularly bred. And I think therein lies some the appeal of the racing greyhound to not only the adopter, but to those who dabble in ownership of racers. While the thoroughbred racehorse is a magnificent creature, personal involvement with the breed as an owner of a racer is beyond the means of a large portion of the population. The greyhound, on the other hand, has always been thought of as "the poor man's racehorse". While there is a good deal of expense involved in the breeding, upbringing and training of a litter of greyhounds for careers at the racetrack, it is less expensive than the cost of the average new car---and the rewards of ownership, as long as one does not expect financial renumeration, can be considerable.