Wipe Out

RobinM

We haven't had our dogs run for a long time. Too long and it was time. We left Ollie (broken hock) home along with Beau who also has a right hind leg issue.

So, we took Chloe, Teddy and Elsie to a differnt field today as the field we usually use at the HS had a janitorial truck there. So we didn't chance it.

We went to a little league enclosed field which was pretty big and has different sections. How I didn't see the sheet of ice, I have no clue but no sooner that I saw it, Chloe. T were running in formation around and around the field. I wanted to end it there, but they were really going at it and all of a sudden, Chloe cuts across the field with T on her end and hits the ice full steam, she slips, FLIPS in the air upside down and lands on her back, gets up and starts walking away.

I checked her out immediately and she is walking fine. She has a small cut on her knee, under her leg and one side of her last toe/pad is bleeding. We treated it with gentocin antibiotic and she took a cookie, drank water and jumped onto our bed. She is now licking her wounds.

I always say a small prayer as I am about to unleash them. Please, GOD- don't let them get hurt and please don't let them get out somehow.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Got away lightly then......thank goodness. Could have been much worse.

She might be a little stiff in the morning.

It's awful stuff ice [except in a glass of baileys] ;)

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Your heart jumps into your mouth, doesn't it? I'm glad she's OK!

Sid did this, too, a couple of weeks ago. He came steaming towards us at full speed, which is pretty darned fast even if he IS a tripod, and when he went to put the brakes on, there weren't any. He went down hard on his stump side and slid a good ten feet, screaming all the way. He slid fast - to within inches of a solid wood fence but luckily didn't hit it - and he didn't get up immediately, but stayed down screaming. I was about ready to rip out a small tree and beat myself with it right there and then, but he got up with help, and apart from bruising and a broken and bleeding dew claw, he was good. Thank God!

I took him to have the dewclaw dealt with and to be checked over because (naturally) a weekend was coming up and with him being a tripod I didn't want any surprises, but after a shot of painkiller, he seemed fine. The bruising on his stump and down the side of his sheath was quite something though.

He's run since with no problems at all. He now exercises a good deal more caution and I make sure there's no tarmac under the snow. Yeah, that was my mistake, I think. :blush

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh, jeez, Robin, it does put your heart into fibrillation, doesn't it? Lydia did that a few months ago. The field where we take them is huge, but it's slanted. Usually, they don't get going too fast---there is too much to sniff and explore. But Lydia decided to take off, and she skidded, and flipped over on her back too. Scared us, but she was fine. We didn't know till we were getting into the car that she had left her dewclaw (it was one that stuck out and wobbled---should have been removed when she was spayed) somewhere in the field! Even that was okay. We were going to the vet but decided to give it a day, and it healed just fine.

I hope Chloe is just fine too.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest FreddyGirl

Fingers crossed that she only has a few aches and pains. when corey wiped out on the deck, just like chloe did, it scared the bajeezuz out of me......

Gosh, let's hope she will continue to be fine! Hopefully she will just be a little sore.

I can't wait for winter to be over. I haven't taken the hounds to a ballpark since it started to snow, and even when they're doing zoomies in the yard I cringe every time, keeping my fingers crossed that there aren't going to be any ripped nails or other injuries :goodluck :goodluck I almost want to close my eyes sometimes... instead I just watch them like an eagle. In the meantime, they're REALLY bored and could really use a run, but I can't risk injuries - never mind any avoidable vet bills.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

:grouphug I hope she recovers quickly from her bruises and scrapes and is back to 100% quickly.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Energy11

Thank GOD it all came out okay!

We finally got ours out for a walk today. I haven't had them outside their straw-lined turn out pen for two days, due to extreme cold, ice and snow. They liked walking in the snow, and Curfew tried to take off twice! I have good holds on all leashes! HE is recovering from a dislocated toe (*thinik it is healed), but WOW, he wanted to go. I have stopped letting mine run, in favor of long walks, due to potential injuries. Just would rather be safe, but that is me, an anal worry wort! :-))

Hugs to Chole for us!

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank seldom gets going that fast anymore; but Chelsa; oh my gosh... A couple of times she has taken a tumble, complete with grass stains on her hiney; and gets up and goes for more. My heart does creep up into my throat sometimes when she runs, especially when she is coursing because she is just moving so incredibly fast.

I hope Chloe is OK!

Guest andrealynch

Got away lightly then......thank goodness. Could have been much worse.

She might be a little stiff in the morning.

It's awful stuff ice [except in a glass of baileys] wink.gif

I agree...or in a glass of Kaluha and Creme!! So sorry your girl took a spill--I hope she feels much better in the morning! rolleyes.gif

I always say a small prayer as I am about to unleash them. Please, GOD- don't let them get hurt and please don't let them get out somehow.

I know the feeling. I cringe at the site of our TWO running (versus your many.

Hope she's doing ok.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I know the feeling. I cringe at the site of our TWO running (versus your many.

Hope she's doing ok.

We don't let them all out at once. Beau doesn't run. He pees on every available blade of grass, fencing, etc. We have not had Ollie out yet because of his hock. So it's Chloe, Teddy and Elsie. Teddy and Chloe run in formation together and Elsie runs to me and stays by myside. I wouldn't let them all run together. I'd faint from fear. :eek The power in their run is amazing.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project