Pooing On Leash

I'm trying to work through some housebreaking issues with Brin and could use some advice. Specifically, she has not once yet pooped while leashed. She paces the house when she needs to go and will poop if let out in the backyard. But if we take her on leash (last time we were out or 40 min with her), she will not poop. I am ready to give her lots of positive reinforcement when she does, but I have no idea how to make her go while on leash. She pees while leashed, but it's reluctant.

Any ideas? Thank you!!

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Try a longer leash - chances are she likes her "privacy". It's pretty common, but does take some time for them to get in the habit!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Try a longer leash - chances are she likes her "privacy". It's pretty common, but does take some time for them to get in the habit!

Agreed! Zelda finally got used to the idea as we live in an apartment, but she still tries to swing her little butt away from me to hide the fact that she is doing her business! Pop, well, he doesn't care, if he has to go, he has to go! Some dogs just like their privacy :lol

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

We eventually got Simon to do it by holding the leash as far out as we could and turning our backs on her, but she only got it after we went on a vacation where every walk *had* to be a leash walk, and she was always reluctant.

Emmy wouldn't pooh on a leash either. We had to hook two leashes together so she could get far away from us and then she would go. We started making the leash shorter and shorter until we got her down to 1 leash. I guess some just need a little privacy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Yup. More distance. And, if she does start to go, turn your back to her.

Also, some dogs don't like to go while off their own property.

Sometimes both problems happen at once: Perry eventually got used to going in the yard on leash (I was teaching her to go in one spot), but was determined not to while on a walk. Then one day she couldn't hang on any longer when we were on a very busy street. She still prefers not to be watched, but she's quite happy to go during a walk. (Now she doesn't want to go in the yard, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Audeamus

My lurcher doesn't understand the concept of pooping while leashed :lol He'll poop at the dog park and in the yard but not on leash if his life depended on it.

Guest OMGiluvgreys

I agree with the more distance too. But you might want to run with her on leash. My youngest would not go on lead and it's a pain when you go to a lot of gatherings. So I ran with her and bingo she pooped. I had noticed that she runs before pooping in the yard also.

I think the distance from you may be the problem so a longer lead or long line might help. My current three hounds can all go offlead on walks and when they are ready to poop each trots off a good way, 20 to 30 yards away from me to find the right spot to go, usually in long grass or amongst tall weeds. Luckily they will all go onlead too if necessary but do prefer to be free to choose their spots.

Sue from England

Guest TheDoggfather

If you see her looking like she has to go, turn your back on her, too. I always walk our racers several times a night after a race, and, some of them do indeed seem a little bashful about it. I just turn away from them and they go.