Bistro Is Acting Really Strangely

Guest rachelee

Guest rachelee

Last night I woke up around midnight and Bistro was wandering in the hall, sniffing everywhere. This is odd behavior for him, but I chalked it up to a rodent or a noise or something and went to bed. He soon followed.

His walk this morning was normal -- he was as excited as he usually is and it went without a hitch.

After he ate and I went back upstairs, he followed me up there like normal. (He's a velcro boy with me.) But when I came back down, he was upstairs sniffing and wandering again. He was looking at the stairs a little funny. He didn't come back down at all before I left to do my daily errands.

When I came home he was back downstairs and excited as usual. I let him out and he ran around in the yard for a bit. We went on a normal walk again in the afternoon.

But now he's acting really strange again. He seems like he's afraid he might slip, but he's also sniffing EVERYTHING again. He was whining at the door and I opened it to let him out and he walked in back of the door where the recycling is.

Then he went and sat on his bed, but only his front paws were on his bed. I've never seen him sit like that.

He's walking around really tentatively. Then I was worried he couldn't see right, but he followed the treat around that I used to test his vision.

He acted normal yesterday, though I did catch him eating some poop yesterday. I cleaned it all up, though.

Should I be worried? I mean, I am worried but should I go to the e-vet or call mine tomorrow?

It's really hard to say what could be causing this w/o being there. However I will throw this out there for what it is worth. One day my Kiowa began behaving oddly in a similar way and I was truly confuzzled. He would be lying there peacefully and suddenly jump up and start pacing the house and looking out the windows and sniffing.

The reason (I finally realized) was there was door in the house that was not fully shut. Since I had the windows open and there was a breeze, that door was making a very quiet *thump thump* noise when ever the wind blew. As soon as I shut the door tightly all was right in Kiowas world again.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like it could be something neurological. Curfew acted VERY weird, before he has his "incident" (*we still do not know what it was, but I think it was a stroke).

I'd keep a very close eye on him, and if this behavior continues, I'd see his vet. Good Luck, hugs and many prayers!

Guest rachelee

I just called the e-vet. He's walking into things and he tried to walk over the baby and he's really tentative on stairs. I'm going to bring him in. It seems neurological. Could he have had a stroke? He's only 3.

Guest Energy11

I just called the e-vet. He's walking into things and he tried to walk over the baby and he's really tentative on stairs. I'm going to bring him in. It seems neurological. Could he have had a stroke? He's only 3.

Yes, it, most definitey, COULD be a stroke. Look at humans ... I have seen strokes in their teens! But, unlike humans, dogs seem to recover well, most of the time, from strokes. Good Luck!

Guest rachelee

Back from the e-vet. Things aren't looking good. We have a follow up appointment with a Neurologist tomorrow morning.

He's not going up and down stairs now. We went to a set at the hospital and he refused to get near them. He had trouble getting in the car, and at the hospital he basically fell out of the car. When we got home, I lifted him out because he was too hesitant to get out himself.

The vet thought it might be encephalitis or something auto-immune or possibly a brain tumor. The latter is least likely. We have to decide how much diagnostic testing we want done or if we are just going to treat him with steroids to see if he gets better.

Unfortunately, I'm not feeling very hopeful about him. He's gone so far downhill in less than 24 hours. The vet didn't seem particularly hopeful either.

I'll update tomorrow, but for now we are feeling very sad. I will sleep downstairs so that he doesn't find a way to get upstairs tonight and then get stuck up there. My poor Beast. We brought him home 7 months ago today exactly.

We are so sad.

:(

Sending lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sending prayer.

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Sending powerful prayers for a treatable diagnosis for Bistro. Poor baby. He must be very frightened. Hugs to you, too.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh no. He's so young for this to be happening. Sending prayers that steroids will help

him and that he can recover from whatever it is. Hugs to you, too.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest BellesDad

So sorry to hear. Hopefully this is temporary and the can treat tomorrow. Sending Prayers and good thoughts

Did they give aspirin in case it is a stroke?

Edited by BellesDad

Guest eaglflyt

I'd suggest contacting Dr. Couto at Ohio State University for a phone consultation. He can speak with you and your vet(s). He may have an idea after reviewing the information. Contact Info. is HERE.

Guest Energy11

When something similar happened to My Curfew 18 months ago, he could'nt walk right for a few days. The vet gave him steriods ... just in case.

Be SURE they take his blood pressure, as I really now think that is what caused Curfew's "presumed stroke."

It was SKY HIGH, but the first vet we saw, never, ever checked it. He is now on Enalapril for his high BP, 1/2 81 mg/per Dr. Couto, daily, and his Thyriod meds. HE was only six when he has his "incident!"

Just hang in there. Curfew did gradually improve, and he is sooo much better today! Love, hugs and prayers coming your way !

I'm sorry. I hope things look better in the morning. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest rachelee

I am happy to report that Bistro is acting normal this morning!

I slept downstairs with him and he was pacing and pacing for a while. His bed is kind of wedged in between tables, so at about 1 I moved the bed to the middle of the floor so it was easier to get to. Eventually he settled down and slept, at around 1:30 or 2.

I'm still taking him to his appointment this morning, but we are breathing a sigh of relief. He is bounding up and down the stairs the way he always has. He's no longer sniffing everything or walking into things. He's walking with his head up. He went to his bed in its normal place with ease.

I wonder if he could have ingested something?

Yay Bistro!

Hi, glad Bistro is acting normal again!

If he starts acting strangely again it might be worth checking for a tick disease that might be causing neurological problems.

Another possibility -- and that has happened to dogs in our household -- is seizure activity or an aura of one to come. Some dogs have petit mal seizures that look just like this. Could he have had any major seizures while you're not around? (You'd see saliva on him or in the house.) Once either type is over, they act perfectly normal until the next one comes along.

glad he's doing better! I hope he continues to improve!!!! how scary!!! :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway