Spay Incontinence Question

Guest LeanneSchatz

Guest LeanneSchatz

Hi everyone,

I have a 5 year old that has been diagnosed with spay incontinence. The vet did urine and blood work to rule out anything else. I don't want to go the Proin route because I am scared to death of it and besides that, the issue is not that bad. She leaks once a week if that so it's not a big deal for me to clean, rather have a healthy dog who leaks than one has some adverse drug reaction.

I read that milk can sometimes help, can someone fill me in on this?

Thanks!

Leanne :unsure

:unsure

I vaguely remember something unusual like that, but have no direct knowledge. Curious - did the Vet do a clean catch for a uring culture? I hope someone chimes in with their experience. Sending prayers for your girl.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Despite the test results, it's well worth pretending that she has a UTI and giving her a 10-14 day course of antibiotics. Has worked many times, for many dogs on this board, including one of mine.

What worked for Zema was a radical diet change. Evidently something in commercial dog foods irritates her innards, so she eats a homecooked, 99% beef, low-sodium diet. Did some food trials to pinpoint the ingredient, failed. Beef & low salt has been working for her for a couple years now. If it stops working, we'll live with it. She has high blood pressure -- can't have either of the incontinence meds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Two of our three grey girls take Proin in low doses. One gets 25 mg every other day - the other gets 50 mg. We haven't had any problems with it.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest greybookends

Sheana has been on Proin for 4 years without a problem. Yes there are some hounds that have died from it but then again there are people that die from penicillin to. ALL drugs have someone who can't take it while most can with no problems.

Guest KennelMom

Sheana has been on Proin for 4 years without a problem. Yes there are some hounds that have died from it but then again there are people that die from penicillin to. ALL drugs have someone who can't take it while most can with no problems.

We've used both Proin and PPA in our greys - the female w/spay incontinence used both, the male with old-age related incontinence used just Proin. No ill effects and I agree with the above about the dangers of any medication. Haley hasn't needed to be on it every single day....she'll be on for 6-7 months and then off for a year or so, until she starts leaking again.

Rainey has had spay incontinence for the past 4 years or so? She is on 1 mg of DES (diethylstilbestrol) every 6 days (we were doing 5 days but moved it up to 6 -- so far so good, may even up it to once a week soon). She was on it every 4 days (since 4 years ago) up until about 3 months ago. She has to have bloodwork done because of taking it every 6 months (which now that she's 9, is getting expensive since they do the full Senior stuff too).

if you can live with it, I certainly would not ever give any meds unless really needed. For us, she completely soaked the bed 3 times before we got it under control, so having her on it is a must :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Grace has been on Proin for about a year now. She started out with accidents occurring every few weeks, then every week, and eventually every day. I first had her on an herbal supplement, but eventually had to put her on Proin. She has been taking two pills a day and has had no adverse reaction at all. My advice would be to keep a journal of the accidents, how big they are, and when they happen. Be aware that they might increase in frequency as well, like Grace's did. Good luck.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest K9Cookies

Our girl, Gracey has also been on Proin for a while now. We also tried DES for a few years.

Hope you find something that works. I've heard about the milk, but I'm not sure how it works or how much to give. :goodluck

Edited by K9Cookies

Guest vahoundlover

I'm one of the ones who lost a dog to a toxic reaction to PPA. YES, ANY drug can cause a reaction in animals and humans. However, animals can't talk and in our case the reaction was quick and deadly. I live everyday with the guilt that I gave her those 2 doses and if I hadn't Dolly may still be alive today. Many dogs have done fine on it, but the thing is, you don't know until you give her that pill....and then it may be too late....

If you have a holistic vet nearby, it would be well worth your time and money to talk to him/her. I wish I had known then that acupuncture and or herbs can successfully treat incontinence without the gamble of possibly losing your dog.

Recently someone posted that 1/4 - 1/2 cup of 1% millk twice a day was successful in treating incontinence in her dog and someone else's that she knew. If your dog isn't lactose intolerant it would be worth a try.

We tried Bailey on Proin but she got to be picky at eating and seemed dull. We took her off and when she started having more frequent accidents we started trying the DES. It's working a charm and not affecting her appetite or behavior. I give it twice a week. I tried to wait a week and she soaked the dog bed on day 6. I may start trying every 5 days to see how she does with that but it's easier to remember on Thursdays and Sundays.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

I did try the 1% milk (1/4 cup twice daily). Raven enjoyed it and it did seem to help a bit, but she was still having some leakage in her sleep. The vet wanted to put her on Proin but I was leery of it after reading about some GTers' greyhounds who had died from it. He put her on DES (a synthetic estrogen) instead, once daily for the first 3 days and then once a week after that. So far so good.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg