Dna Testing?

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

Ok, obviously we know our greyhounds are greyhounds :lol, but DH would love to do this for a couple of our nine coonhound/?? mix littermates. I know that the accuracy is only so-so, but it's a Christmas gift and it's for fun... does anyone have leads for the mail-in kits? Any with more included breeds than others?

Thanks!!

Guest tricolorhounds

Our group did DNA testing on the fuzzy puppies we had last summer...

DNA from Hawes

DSC_0342.jpg

... showed he was part Dachshund

Dachshund.jpg

but he's growing and looks like this...

DSC_0084.jpg

part Dachshund huh :dunno I'm not a believer yet

Guest ThunderPaws

A co-worker had it done on his little shelter puppy. Results were absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't trust it.

ETA: Well, just read that it's only for fun, that's ok. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

Edited by ThunderPaws

Guest eaglflyt

DNA from Hawes

DSC_0342.jpg

Dachshund.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

That's the tallest and longest legged Dachsie I've EVER seen!!! :lol :lol :lol But, maybe there's one way, way back there somewhere?

Guest KennelMom

I don't think they are worth it unless you just have some money you want to blow. One test requires you to send a picture...why??? *I* can look at a picture and make guesses. Another can't detect purebred dogs....uh....so you can find mixes of pure breeds but not the pure breed itself...things like this just set off my red flags that something is more of scam than legit.

We offer the Wisdom Panel where I work jsut for the very few clients that really want it done but we tell them to take the results with a grain of salt. The few we've done have been really far off base. We've (the clinic, not me) considered sending Kulee's blood in since we know she's a greyhound and I have her lineage from about 100+ years back but haven't done it yet.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I don't think they are worth it unless you just have some money you want to blow. One test requires you to send a picture...why??? *I* can look at a picture and make guesses. Another can't detect purebred dogs....uh....so you can find mixes of pure breeds but not the pure breed itself...things like this just set off my red flags that something is more of scam than legit.

Someone here posted that the veterinary practice she works for send in a photo of a lab or some other purebred and purebred greyhound DNA. Guess what the answer came back?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We offer the Wisdom Panel where I work jsut for the very few clients that really want it done but we tell them to take the results with a grain of salt. The few we've done have been really far off base. We've (the clinic, not me) considered sending Kulee's blood in since we know she's a greyhound and I have her lineage from about 100+ years back but haven't done it yet.

I'd send in Kulee's blood just to test them!!!! :colgate

I heard about a test that was done--DNA from KNOWN breed dogs was sent to numerous testing labs and the results were wildly inaccurate and totally different on the same dog from different labs.

I can think of much better ways to spend $$, like maybe more collars?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

DNA from Hawes

DSC_0342.jpg

Dachshund.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

That reminds me of Scotty, a greyhound mix that Shana from GFFL has:

GreytScottFace2ALL_9807.jpg

She did the DNA testing on him and he tested as having dachshund in him too :rolleyes: (along with some borzoi thrown in). Boy, those doxies sure get around! :lol:lol

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest ctgreylover

IF you have an unknown mixed breed or - mutt - it can be helpful. Some apartments/condos/towns have breed restrictions. It can help prove the dog isn't one of "those" breeds!

Otherwise, I am not sure I would care.

The NBC Morning show did one of those. One of the hosts felt he had a pure breed and one had a pound pup. Turned out the pound pup WAS a pure breed and the other was a mix!

Guest GentleHugs

DNA from Hawes

DSC_0342.jpg

Dachshund.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

That reminds me of Scotty, a greyhound mix that Shana from GFFL has:

GreytScottFace2ALL_9807.jpg

She did the DNA testing on him and he tested as having dachshund in him too :rolleyes: (along with some borzoi thrown in). Boy, those doxies sure get around! :lol:lol

doxies are not called "wienie dogs" for nothin' ya know..... :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl