Ollie Does Not Have Giardia (sp?)

RobinM

Ollie has giardia and I am so worried about Beau. I know this is easily transmitted. With his IBD- I shudder to think of the outcome. After all he's been through.

I picked up Olli'es poop immediately and sprayed some bleach/water on it but I hadn't done that Satruday when he was brought home.

Because of the IBD- to start Beau on meds of any kind is risky so I am waiting for my vet to get in and discuss it with him.

What about beds? His tush is on the beds, can it be transmitted that way? I did some reading online about wiping their butts after they poop?

Oh and Chloe has some sort of UTI that is going to take a very long course of antibiotics - again waiting for vet to call. The tech told me that much.

It truly is always something.

***UPDATE***

OY- Vet called and before she could get a word in edge wise, I told her I was out bleaching my yard, calling the kennel who called the farm getting all the dog treated and she said- Robin- stop! He does not have giardia, he has been exposed to it so he needs to be treated.

It was the tech who told me he has it. She said, I will better educate her about the difference and I apologize for this....

I called the kennel....

Anyway, what a PTO I had, in the yard, picking up poop and spaying bleach like a mad woman!

I asked her if the others needs to be treated as well and she said no- they are all fine.

Chloe, however has a raging UTI and has to be on Clavamox/augmentin for 21 days and then another UA.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SueG201

very contagious, you must pick up the poop and s pray it with bleach, also put a heavy

layer of lime in the dogs yard and that will also do the trick, I had a grey with Giardia

and it is a PITA to get rid off Good Luck

Robin, we had a bout of Giardia a couple of years ago involving all 5 dogs. Cleaning up in the yard was essential. In the house we used large size bath towels on top of all the beds and washed them daily. Our vet didn't feel the beds or covers were as much of a problem as the actual stool in the yard. Although we didn't spray with bleach, etc. because it was winter & snowy, I tried to keep the area outside as clean as possible.

In terms of Beau - Hobbes was on a special diet at the time and everything from antibiotics to food bothered his system. He tolerated the Panacur very well and didn't have any side affects.

Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be. We managed to get thru the treatment and get rid of all the Giardia and all five dogs had clean samples after a couple of rounds of treatment.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

very contagious, you must pick up the poop and s pray it with bleach, also put a heavy

layer of lime in the dogs yard and that will also do the trick, I had a grey with Giardia

and it is a PITA to get rid off Good Luck

Is lime safe for the dogs?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Can you give Ollie his own Potty area, like putting up a chicken wire run for him? I'm actually thinking more of the orange plastic construction stuff.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Energy11

I would do what we used to do at Dr. B's kennel. Get a yard sprayer, and mix a 50/50 bleach solution, and spray down the entire yard. Let it dry before letting any of the dogs out, and yes, I'd make a temporary fenced in area for Ollie, to keep him away from the others. When Oakly got it, I automatically treated the rest, just in case, but I didn't have an IBD dog.

I'd do my best to keep him "isolated," from the others. When you wash the bedding, ... as we know, bleach ruins things, you can use LYSOL liquid in your wash.

Good Luck!

Bleach doesn't need to be 50/50, much weaker solution will work to kill giardia. Dunno why you'd use lime.

I honestly wouldn't be that paranoid about it. Get Ollie started on Panacur, let him out by himself, pick up the poop as best you can, spritz the area with bleach, give him a bath or two. Giardia doesn't crawl around in the environment; the dog (or person) has to ingest it to be infected.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

Robin, I would let your adoption kennel know about this because if Ollie was turned out with any of the other hounds there could be more that have been infected. Other fosters or adoptees could unknowingly have taken it home to their dogs. If you have a way to isolate Ollie for 7-10 days and just walk him away from your other dogs not in your yard, it would be best to do it. Sorry you have to deal with this, it really is a pain.

Guest Energy11
Bleach doesn't need to be 50/50, much weaker solution will work to kill giardia. Dunno why you'd use lime.

I honestly wouldn't be that paranoid about it. Get Ollie started on Panacur, let him out by himself, pick up the poop as best you can, spritz the area with bleach, give him a bath or two. Giardia doesn't crawl around in the environment; the dog (or person) has to ingest it to be infected.

50/50 mix of bleach and water is recommended. I have used this on the ambulance, as well as the kennel at my vet in Florida. To be safe, I would use the 50/50. Not just "my two cents," but from the vet's recommendation too. Better safe than sorry.

Just for clarification, bleach is already a 5% solution in water. So 50/50 isn't like 50% water... more like 98% water... you can cut it down, but I would doubt the % dilution makes any difference at that point. But I could be wrong.

And I had giardia with my senior gal. We treated all 5 dogs, and I picked up the yard as I normally would. I have an acre fenced, I wasn't about to go out there with a bleach bottle and hunt down everything.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest Energy11
Just for clarification, bleach is already a 5% solution in water. So 50/50 isn't like 50% water... more like 98% water... you can cut it down, but I would doubt the % dilution makes any difference at that point. But I could be wrong.

And I had giardia with my senior gal. We treated all 5 dogs, and I picked up the yard as I normally would. I have an acre fenced, I wasn't about to go out there with a bleach bottle and hunt down everything.

Thanks for that info, truly! When we were told to use 50% bleach with 50% water, we never thought about the concentration of the bleach. Boy, you learn something everyday! :-))

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are diligent about clean up. I dogsat a grey with Giardia for a weekend a few years ago, and none of mine caught it. I just made sure to clean up the yard immediately after they pooped.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest SueG201

Granular Lime will not harm your dogs, just water it down. Lime kills fleas, ticks and yes

Giardia, and keeps the urine smell down, I have used it for years and swear by it. My vet

actually told me to use it after my greyhound puppy had giardia

Guest AbbyGirl

I had a foster about 2 years ago with Giardia and my own 2 dogs never got it. I just made sure I picked up after him, and I did wash his bedding, crate and dog bed more often with bleach.

Just be a little more cautious with your Beau and things should be fine.

Guest smudgebear

My cats had it over the summer and I don't even know how they got it since they're indoor only and the dog wasn't even living with us yet. It took a couple of rounds of meds to get it cleared up. Anyway, I see that you have cats as well. My vet told me that giardia can pass from dogs to cats pretty easily so just be aware if your cats come into close contact with the dog beds, etc, they could be at risk too.

The problem is that Ollie pooped on Saturday and we didn't immediately run out there to clean it up. I did now and I sprayed every mushy spot after picking it up. There is no way to isloate him from the others.

They did not give me panacur- 1000 mg a day of Flagyl. Of course I am concerned about Teddy and Chloe, but for Beau who has been giving me more of a problem with eating recently since lowering his meds I am REALLY concerned about.

Flagyl may cause some stomach pain, especially 1000 ml, my vet also treated my dog with

Flagyl. panacur did not work

This is a very hungry dog so if he has stomach pain, you wouldn't know it. He is also on Deramaxx (neuter yesterday) He is soo hungry and so very underweight.

On GH-data, his weight is 84 and he is 70 pounds now and totally emaciated.

Robin, if you are concerned about treatment for Beau, you could have him tested first for the Giardia. All five of our dogs had stool samples taken - only two showed any sign of picking it up but all were treated as a precaution. (Hobbes had a particularly stubborn and severe case which added to the time of treatment.)

If Beau has a clean specimen than perhaps your vet will decide not to give him the treatment. Our pups had the Panacur because it was less harsh on their system (especially Hobbes who couldn't take Flagyl).

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Never had a problem with flagyl (metronidazole) causing stomach pain or inappetence.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SueG201

Boy I sure did and to this day, she has intestinal problems caused by the Giardia and she is

almost 11 yrs old Robin don't panic not every dog has the severity my dog had it, just be

dilligent about picking up the poop and maybe spray some bleach on the poopy scoop and you should be okay, and I am sure you will fatten him up in no time, he did look very thin

in the photos