? For Those With Slo

packmom

Dogs with SLO-what is your experience with the toenail loss? Is it just that it dies and falls off? Is is a bloody injury type thing? Arwen has had a series of nail injuries and ripped off nails since August. All on the same foot, though, one at a time. This last one we know she got caught in the baby gate.

No bloody injuries, tears, or rips here. Usually the only way I'd notice one was coming off/had come off was that Scout would lick it for a day or two. Just a tiny bloody stub left. I found one of the sloughed-off nails once -- it was intact and hollow.

What do Arwen's nails look like when they grow back? Scout's would look gnarled and funky. Before we got the SLO under control with tetracycline and supplements, the consistency on most of the nails was soft and chalky.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

In Pinky's case, her toenails are very brittle (they almost look like wood!). If I don't keep them trimmed as well as possible (she came to me with very long toenails and we haven't had much luck getting her quicks to recede on the nails that have never broken), she will catch them and break them. They crack and splinter - usually exposing the quick. On occasion the nail has not come off all the way and I've had to pull it off the rest of the way with pliers (vet told me to do this) before bandaging the foot.

Arwen may or may not have SLO...she may just be catching those nails on something and ripping them. Do you keep her nails really short? I'd keep them as short as possible with a Dremel. I do Pinky's nails every Sunday...when I get lazy about doing them is when she has problems.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Savannah lost all her nails, one by one, over the space of about 6 months. It was bloody, but not excessively so - like a nail that was quicked. Hers never grew back, and for the last 5 years of her life she just had nubs.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Most of Frasier's loss of toenails were a little bloody, but not all of them. And of course, he had one or two where the house looked like a murder scene. Even with all the supplements, pred and tetracycline he would occasionally lose a nail.

I think SLO also makes ripping nails off easier too, but that's just a personal theory. :)

Three now have seem ripped off in a bloody event. One was just lifting off and had a stinky infection. It was removed during a dental and the infection cultured. Thought she must have injured it at the time the other was torn. Now on the other foot the two middle ones seem loose and also smell. Her nails have always been softer that the others' but not abnormal. We're going in this morning and i'll be taking copies of Dr. Stack's page with me.

"the nail has not come off all the way and I've had to pull it off the rest of the way with pliers (vet told me to do this) before bandaging the foot."

EEEEEEWWWWWW! I can handle most anything medical with these guys but Toenails give me the willies! :gmark

You may very well be right about it being SLO but I just want to throw this out there. I was so sure it was SLO with Misty, even after my vet thought sure it was her thyroid.

He was right, it was her thyroid.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Yes, have her thyroid checked just to be sure, if you haven't already.

My friend's dog with SLO lost his toenails and they never came back :dunno It was so easy for her, she never had to trim his toenails again!

We haven't been so lucky. A few that Pinky has lost have grown back weird and twisty and they're sensitive, so she's squirmy about me dremeling her nails :rolleyes:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

:nod Pinky takes tetracycline 2x a day, niacinamide 2x a day, vitamin E 2x a day, and an Omega-3 capsule in the morning. If she has a particularly bad flare, we do a burst and taper course of pred. She's been pretty well controlled without needing too much pred.

:nod Pinky takes tetracycline 2x a day, niacinamide 2x a day, vitamin E 2x a day, and an Omega-3 capsule in the morning. If she has a particularly bad flare, we do a burst and taper course of pred. She's been pretty well controlled without needing too much pred.

My vet saw we were coming in again with a toenail and he had already started looking at SLO!

We are starting off with this same protocol.

Little girl is very sad now with her feet wrapped but will be happy later when she gets to go to Grandma's instead of the kennel!

Does Arwen have any other symptoms?

The insides of Pinky's ears get kind of crusty and the bridge of her nose will peel, in addition to her sweet little pink nose getting cracked and peely. I put Burt's Bees Baby Bee cream in her ears and on the bridge of her nose. Thankfully we've not had a flare up that bad in a long time.

What kind of food does she eat? If you don't already feed grain-free, I highly recommend it. It's made a world of difference for Pinky, and for a dog we had at the kennel that lost ALL of his toenails :( I feed TOTW Pacific Stream - it's been a Godsend.

Haven't noticed anything else yet. This came on so suddenly. They eat Nutri-source right now. It has brown rice, barley and oats. Started this about 5-6 months ago. They seem to all do well on it. I know you can drive yourself crazy trying to guess what started this reaction.

I have been reading on the Yahoo group for SLO dogs about the use of grain free. It wouldn't hurt to try. She will eat absolutely anything! (except pills!)

Edited by packmom

In humans, you carry it with you. When your body becomes stressed or you get very sick, it will have a tendency to activate. That's what happened to me. :dunno

Try and keep her out of the sun too - they are photosensitive and can have a flare up from too much sun.

If it's feasible for you to keep your other dogs on what they've been eating and put Arwen on the TOTW, that might be a good idea. The switch made a huge difference for our boy at the kennel that lost all of his nails. Cost-wise the TOTW runs me $40 for a 30 lb bag. If it's not cost-effective for you to switch all of them, maybe just switch Arwen? I know in some households it's next to impossible to feed 2 different foods, so, that's something to consider. So far we do alright (Sutra eats a different food than the others since he needs low-fat kibble).

How's her coat? Pinky's was raggedy and her skin was really flaky (and she kind of gets stinky sometimes). Now she's sleek like a little seal (she's black brindle and gorgeous :wub:)

Arwen has always had thin sleek hair. She's white so lots of pink skin shows. She's not one to spend any time outside other than our walks which are not long due to the age of the others. Her skin is good but she's always had the dirtiest ears! TOTW is only about $5 more a bag than the Nutri-source and probably better for them all. Is it a low-residue food? Abby sure could use that! NS is supposed to be and is for Shilo but not the others.?

We have good poops here with it. Nice, firm, and not a large amount.

Here's a linky to the TOTW Pacific Stream http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/produ...canine_formula/