Omg! Toni Ate A Mushroom In The Yard Tonight!

OMG! I just knew this was going to happen. Just today I told the DH to pick up any mushroom he saw growing in the yard because I was sure that she would at least try them! She eats EV-ER-Y-THING!!

Sure enough, tonight when we went out for last potties she was eating something - a mushroom, when I chased her away from it. I know she got some of it down, but not exactly how much. So... Hydrogen Peroxide to the rescue. I've never actually had to induce vomiting this way, so it was a bit nerve wracking. She finally urped everything up. Poor baby!! She looked so pathetic! But there wasn't any chunks in the last couple barfs so I know she got it all out. We came in and I fed her some bread, she drank some water, and now she's resting.

Is there anything else I should do??? She is a bit wheezy - probably due to my clumsy attempt to administer the HP, so she aspirated some - but otherwise acting OK. Of course, it's 10pm Pacific Time and nobody's still awake!

My poor Toni Baloni!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What to watch for:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/mushroom-pois...dogs/page1.aspx

IIRC, most of the problems with fungi consumption come from hydrazines or some cryptic mycotoxins, most of which are large enough that they take a while to get into circulation. An exception would be the amatoxins of the destroying angel.

DestroyingAngel.jpg

Don't go by image alone; it takes an expert, so don't get wigged out if it looks similar. If you witnessed the consumption and induced vomiting within a few minutes, keep an eye out for symptoms (from the URL above) but try not to panic.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Here's one article that may be useful (and it gives the dosage for dogs) - click

And this one tells you specifically about mushroom toxicity - click

Quote from the above link:

"Mushroom Poisoning

Milk thistle has been used as an emergency antidote to poisoning by deathcap mushroom (Amanita phalloides). Animal studies have found that milk thistle extract completely counteracts the toxic effects of the mushroom when given within 10 minutes of ingestion. If given within 24 hours of ingestion, it significantly reduces the risk of liver damage and death"

The mushrooms concerned in that study contain the same toxins (amatoxins) as the Destroying Angel which ahicks mentions.

And if she's on any other meds, you might want to read this: click here.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Energy11

You did all the right things! How is Toni this morning? I know what ya mean about the mushrooms! We had them all over, about two months ago. I was always "mushroom hunting!" Good luck and lots of hugs !

Our girl is doing fine this morning - her normal self. The wheezing has stopped for the most part but we'll call the vet when they open. Seemingly no ill effects. She ate a bland breakfast of rice and hamburger. Bathroom habits are normal.

I will definitely check out the websites!

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and info! GT-ers ROCK!

chris ;)

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You did all the right things! How is Toni this morning? I know what ya mean about the mushrooms! We had them all over, about two months ago. I was always "mushroom hunting!" Good luck and lots of hugs !

How is that ole balonie girl this morning! Beware of reaching down to "harvest" mushrooms. I did that one afternoon & Dear thought I was play bowing & we butted heads. I was nearly knocked out, and had a "goose egg" on my forehead for a week!

How is that ole balonie girl this morning! Beware of reaching down to "harvest" mushrooms. I did that one afternoon & Dear thought I was play bowing & we butted heads. I was nearly knocked out, and had a "goose egg" on my forehead for a week!

Oh dear!

Was the mushroom OK?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Oh gosh, Chris - I'm only just seeing this :ohno

So glad Toni is okay! :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Hi Chris -

I have been having that very same discussion lately with dh- the mushrooms have exploded in our yard too, gotta love our weather here that creates the perfect blend to create that many mushrooms! - so we have been leash walking only as they just keep coming up. Hope Toni is doing much better and not mad at you for making her urp up her snack! Keeping you all in our thoughts.

I spent 30 minutes today making sure the yard was a mushroom free zone! Toni is going out with her muzzle on all the time now and I'm getting a poop guard for it - she needs it anyway.

She's been doing good all day today. No more coughing so I'm not so worried about her lungs getting HP in them. Acting like her regular hyper-goofball self, fortunately none the worse for wear.

Thanks everyone!

chris ;)