Amputation Tomorrow!

Guest dfriedri

Sorry to hear about the rough night - but I am so pleased that Star is feeling well enough to be restless! I have been mostly lurking, but I am cheering you both on :-)

FL

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Sorry she is "stinky!" Most likely all the medications. Boy, does sound like she is coming around though! :-)) Guess after all you two have been through, a little rancid gas is nothing! :-))

So, happy for you both!

Guest 3greysinPA
Update on Star:

Kind of had a rough night. She is getting bored with laying around and so has started bouncing from bed to bed to couch! The couch is a dangerous choice but I keep a close eye on her when she chooses this for a spot to lay.

Today I wanted to go to my mom's but wasn't sure if she was ready for a ride. I left a couple times yesterday and she made no move to get up but today I barely touched the keys and she jumped right up and was ready to go. I think she was ready for a change of scenery.

It's been a good day!

I'm ready for the stinky stinky gas to end though. I've never smelled anything so rancid!

oh... hugs to you and Star... sounds like you are both doing well ... and getting alittle bit better every day... continued wishes for an uneventful recovery... keep us posted when you can.... and we are still thinking of you both from here in PA.

Guest dfriedri

I thought I would share a picture of Star with all of you.

12834_555131824624_41300950_32784913_7673342_s.jpg

We are not having a very good couple of days.

She has started crying out and screaming for what appears to be no reason at all. I have heard it could be phantom pain and possibly anxiety. Today it appears that it is related to her urine output. Have any of you ever experienced this. I have visited with the vet and we have a hard time believing that it could be a urinary tract infection because of all the antibiotics she is on. Could it be a yeast infection?

I would appreciate any output please!

I am so sorry she is still doing that. Did you give a valium? Was there any relief?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest dfriedri
I am so sorry she is still doing that. Did you give a valium? Was there any relief?

Yep she has had valium but 3 times today the screaming came either during or right after she urinated. She definately doesn't feel very good today and is super lethargic. I'm sure that is because of the valium though.

Guest bigorangedog
I thought I would share a picture of Star with all of you.

12834_555131824624_41300950_32784913_7673342_s.jpg

We are not having a very good couple of days.

She has started crying out and screaming for what appears to be no reason at all. I have heard it could be phantom pain and possibly anxiety. Today it appears that it is related to her urine output. Have any of you ever experienced this. I have visited with the vet and we have a hard time believing that it could be a urinary tract infection because of all the antibiotics she is on. Could it be a yeast infection?

I would appreciate any output please!

She is so cute!! Sorry you are having a rough time. We had a rough day here too.

I have no idea if this happens in dogs, but certainly in people antibiotics can cause a yeast infection. In people, it can help to take acidophilus (get it at most pharmacies and the health food store) and eat yogurt with "good" bacteria in it. If it's a full-blown yeast infection though it will need drugs to treat. Hope that she is feeling better soon!!

BTW, I have heard that for phantom pain, Gabapentin is the best drug....

Guest eaglflyt

I don't know if this happens in dogs, but many times humans can have bladder spasms during or after urination (especially after surgery/anesthesia) ... and they hurt! Maybe that is what is happening ... ask your vet. I had them after having C-sections ... not fun! They do have medications that can help but they also usually go away after having a surgical procedure with time. I'd also suggest they check her urine to make sure it isn't an infection. There are strains of bacteria that are resistant to many common antibiotics, so it's definitely possible that it still may be a bladder infection.

Best wishes and HUGS & I hope all gets better soon.

edited for typos

Edited by eaglflyt

My Diamond (just done Oct 9th) was having difficulty urinating too. She didn't cry out but she would be squatting for quite a while after finishing.

I don't know what it was, but it's all better now. She has been on antibiotics a long time however due to an infection at the surgical site. So I don't know if she had a UTI. It was automatically taken care of with the ABs.

You'd certainly want to check for a UTI etc. ... but it could simply be that she gets surprised by the leg not being there in that situation -- squatting and then standing up straight again. Or that it does in fact hurt when she needs to move in that way. Hugs and best luck in figuring out what's going on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest dfriedri

Another very rough night. Awake every few hours because of crying and/or screaming. At one point I woke up to her crying in her sleep. I just can't figure out what is wrong. She went outside this morning and didn't cry when she peed but also didn't go very much. I really want to help her but I can't figure out what is wrong. There does not seem to be a pattern most of the time.

The this morning I brought her downstairs and I went back upstairs. She was laying down and fine when I went up. About 20 min later she was a the bottom of the steps screaming. This kind of seemed like an attention tactic or just trying to get me back downstairs but before the surgery if she wanted me she would just whine slightly, not scream. Could she be figuring out that I come running every time she does this???

Couple years back we had a houseguest who'd had an amputation about as long ago as your pup's. She tended to scream when she changed position. We only had her for a few days. Pain meds (deramaxx in her case) helped some. I understand time helped as well -- another week or two.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I wish I had some advice, but I have no experience with canine amuputees. It could be pain, phantom pain, axiety, or, like you said, if she does it, you come running.

Might want to email Dr. Couto and his team to see if they can offer any insight to this, as they deal with amputations everyday. couto.1@osu.edu

Good luck and lots of love!

Guest dfriedri
Is she on gabapentin? When researching phantom pain months ago, I learned that phantom pain is not imagined pain, but real nerve pain. It hurts!

Do you have the stairs gated?

Sending prayers.

No she is not on that med.

The stairs are not gated but she doesn't attempt them, she gets carried up and down.

I just am not sure about the phantom pain. Sometimes it would appear that is the issue but other times when she cries it seems related to something else. I just am so frustrated with it.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

One of mine got a UTI after his amputation. I assume it was from the catheter. If it's crying during urination, that would be my first suspect.

Guest dfriedri

Star is back at the vet for the night.

Her incision came open in the center of it. Basically there was some dead skin or scabbed skin and it came open??? Not totally sure on the technical terms. The vet wasn't too worried about it cause it looked good underneith and wasn't bleeding but he was going to close it again for quicker healing.

They are also going to check for a UTI and try to get to the bottom of the crying out. We really don't think it is actual pain with the incision because the vet poked and prodded and messed with the actual site and she didn't even flinch.

It was really sweet though cause when we got to the vet Star was crying out and screaming as we walked thru the door. Her favorite girl there is Sara and when she walked up Star was still crying but started wagging her tail immediately. It's reassuring to know they do take very good care of her there.

In other news, I have a second interview for the job in Bellevue and am one of top two candidates!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Oh Dani I am so sad to hear that Star is still screaming. That must be terrible & so frustrating for you as well.

Hoping for an easy fix and major luck on that job interview. You will get it.Come one GTers! Let's do the chant!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project