Amputation Tomorrow!

Guest dfriedri

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry that Star has to go through this. I'll keep you and Star in my thoughts.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

We will be thinking of you!!! Please update and let us know how your baby is doing!

We are going down this same road on Friday with my sweet little Whitey...

Jen

Sending prayers and good thoughts to you and little Whitey right now and through the week especially on Friday!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest dfriedri
You and Star have been in so many prayers since your first post about her diagnosis. I'm hoping that she will do great with the surgery. You've gotten some excellent advice, and everyone will be here for you as you and Star continue this journey. I would have to agree that these next few weeks will be hard, as she adjusts. Since they are all different, you can never tell just how the recovery period will go. While a lot of it depends on their age and personality, there are things that you have no control over---how she'll react to the anesthesia and pain meds (and how well her body will process them out of her system), how the incision site will heal, edema in the other legs etc. Just try and get some rest now, and tell yourself that "This will pass." And it will. By doing the amp, you have eliminated the possibility of that leg fracturing, causing her tremendous pain, and having to make a life and death decision very quickly. That said, it's natural that you may have regrets. Some people can look at their babies and not see that missing leg. I wish I could honestly say I was one of them. Even though, intellectually, I knew that I'd done the right thing for Winnie, that she was not in pain anymore, and that she was adjusting beautifully, there were times that I wished that my beautiful girl was whole again. But that was projecting my HUMAN emotions on her. As Dr. Couto says, "Dogs have 4 legs and a spare." There is no stigma in the animal world against 3 leggers. And when they adjust, they don't really know that they are handicapped. When I saw Winnie run for joy on 3 strong legs, I knew I'd given her that gift. And if you have done that for Star, for that reason, you can't second guess your decision, or have regrets. You love your girl, and are trying to keep her safe and happy.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Thank you, this helped a lot!

I just dropped her off and tried to keep it together as much as possible. I didn't do a very good job.

The other hard thing is that I have a job interview in Chicago on Friday and have to leave Thursday evening. I'm not sure yet what I am going to do with Star. The vet is willing to keep her but she gets very depressed if she isn't with me and I'm worried that with the leg it will be too much for her. My mom also could take her but is very reluctant because of her own big dogs and "if something were to happen". I have no one that can come stay with her overnight at my house and I hate to put her in an uncomfortable environment at someone else's house. Anyone else have any good suggestions????

Anyone close to western iowa and can spare an evening at my house with Star???

Edited by dfriedri

Guest bigorangedog
The other hard thing is that I have a job interview in Chicago on Friday and have to leave Thursday evening. I'm not sure yet what I am going to do with Star. The vet is willing to keep her but she gets very depressed if she isn't with me and I'm worried that with the leg it will be too much for her. My mom also could take her but is very reluctant because of her own big dogs and "if something were to happen". I have no one that can come stay with her overnight at my house and I hate to put her in an uncomfortable environment at someone else's house. Anyone else have any good suggestions????

Did you get her from an adoption group in Iowa? QCGA or Heartland? Maybe if you call one of them, they would be able to find another greyhound owner willing to sit with Star??? I know I would try to do this for one of my adopters.

Guest Energy11
You and Star have been in so many prayers since your first post about her diagnosis. I'm hoping that she will do great with the surgery. You've gotten some excellent advice, and everyone will be here for you as you and Star continue this journey. I would have to agree that these next few weeks will be hard, as she adjusts. Since they are all different, you can never tell just how the recovery period will go. While a lot of it depends on their age and personality, there are things that you have no control over---how she'll react to the anesthesia and pain meds (and how well her body will process them out of her system), how the incision site will heal, edema in the other legs etc. Just try and get some rest now, and tell yourself that "This will pass." And it will. By doing the amp, you have eliminated the possibility of that leg fracturing, causing her tremendous pain, and having to make a life and death decision very quickly. That said, it's natural that you may have regrets. Some people can look at their babies and not see that missing leg. I wish I could honestly say I was one of them. Even though, intellectually, I knew that I'd done the right thing for Winnie, that she was not in pain anymore, and that she was adjusting beautifully, there were times that I wished that my beautiful girl was whole again. But that was projecting my HUMAN emotions on her. As Dr. Couto says, "Dogs have 4 legs and a spare." There is no stigma in the animal world against 3 leggers. And when they adjust, they don't really know that they are handicapped. When I saw Winnie run for joy on 3 strong legs, I knew I'd given her that gift. And if you have done that for Star, for that reason, you can't second guess your decision, or have regrets. You love your girl, and are trying to keep her safe and happy.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Thank you, this helped a lot!

I just dropped her off and tried to keep it together as much as possible. I didn't do a very good job.

When I lived in Florida, there were a lot of pet sitters who would say overnight. Maybe you can hire a one of them to stay with Star? I don't think, leaving her at the vet is a good idea, and if something happens at night, there is no one there. Kennels are loud, cold and scary. I know. I managed one the last year at my vets. I'd try for a pet sitter. Wish you were in Central Fla! I know two amazing ones!

Good luck with Star and your job interview! WHAT a stressful week for you! Love and hugs! Dee and The Five

Guest bigorangedog

Another idea is to call a local vet school, sometimes they have students who do this type of house/petsitting. Plus, if it is a vet student, they might be less "freaked out" by the prospect of caring for a dog who is recently post-amp.

Guest dfriedri

All of these are good suggestions but the problem is I am in very small town Iowa and at least 2 hours away from anywhere. It is getting to be short notice and I don't want to trust just anyone at my house. Aghhhh!

I'll check out the Sioux City area.

Can you bring her with you? Are you driving?

That way she'll be alone only for the time you are in the actual interview.

if you were here in NJ, I'd babysit.

I wouldn't recommend this only two days after surgery. We had to drive home 40 miles with Cosmo the day after her surgery and any time we hit a bump or dip in the road (and believe me, we were driving super gingerly) she'd scream and jump to her feet. If you can't find someone to watch her at your home then I really think the vet is the safest option. She needs to be sequestered from other animals for a while for her own safety so I don't think your Mom's would be a good option. Honestly, she will be on a lot of pain meds and may not react all that much to being at the vet. It took Cosmo a week before she started to seem like herself again so really, I think two days after surgery, the vet is your safest option.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest vahoundlover

If it was me, I'd leave her with the vet. If something were to head south, she'd be right there for them to head it off instead of relying on a stranger recognizing the symptoms and acting on it.

Guest dfriedri

I'm thinking the vet is the best option. Although I like the idea of her being with my mom I agree that the vet would recognize before she would if things were going wrong. The vet has assured me that although they don't stay there all night long they do check in very regular on surgery patients.

Update on Star:

The vet called and she is done with the surgery. She is not awake yet cause the vet had the receptionist call me right away cause they knew I would be worried. But all went well so far and she looks good. I'll talk to them again in the morning to see how she fared the night.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I really appreciate all the good advice and prayers.

Question:

If I plan on leaving her at the vet until I get home late Friday evening should I go visit her this week? I really really want to but last time I left her there they stole her leg. If I go visit her will she think something bad is going to happen if I don't take her with me?

If I go visit her will she think something bad is going to happen if I don't take her with me?
I'm no expert, but I think she'd just be glad to see you. But also think about you -- if visiting and not taking her home will upset you too much, she'll pick up on that.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Can you bring her with you? Are you driving?

That way she'll be alone only for the time you are in the actual interview.

if you were here in NJ, I'd babysit.

I wouldn't recommend this only two days after surgery. We had to drive home 40 miles with Cosmo the day after her surgery and any time we hit a bump or dip in the road (and believe me, we were driving super gingerly) she'd scream and jump to her feet. If you can't find someone to watch her at your home then I really think the vet is the safest option. She needs to be sequestered from other animals for a while for her own safety so I don't think your Mom's would be a good option. Honestly, she will be on a lot of pain meds and may not react all that much to being at the vet. It took Cosmo a week before she started to seem like herself again so really, I think two days after surgery, the vet is your safest option.

I drove 10 hrs the day after Diamond's discharge. She was zonked out and slept almost the whole time. I did have about a foot of bedding in the car for her.

But the vet probably is the best option because if she is restless and upset they can give her something to calm down.

Guest Rogersmom

So, how did things turn out? The surgery must have been yesterday. I am sorry that I only just saw this post. I wish the best for Star for a complete and speedy recovery. This is a road I hope Roger and I never have to go down. May you have strength.

Best wishes,

Liz and Roger

Guest Rogersmom

Ok, I just figured this post out. I did not notice that there were other pages to it that did not appear automatically. I am glad the surgery is over and hope all is well. Good luck with your job interview. I am sending you a stress reflector shield in this post. You certainly need one. Have strength.

Best wishes,

Liz and Roger

Guest Energy11

I would go visit her. She might think she was abandoned if you don't.

MY only concern about leaving her at the vets are the nights. No one would be there if she did head "south". I used to live close enough to my vet/employer in Florida, where I'd go check in on our overnight surgery cases around midnight, and I was at work by 6 a.m.

I know this is a hard decision, but, I am sure you will make the right decision. Maybe at your Mom's, but in a room, baby-gated away from the other dogs???

Good Luck and lots of love!

Guest dfriedri

Update:

I just talked to the vet and she is doing really really well!

They said they checked on her last night about 9:00 cause one of the girls had a late class and she was doing good and the vet checked on her overnight. She has been drinking some water but no food yet. She didn't have any accidents and pottied outside this morning, no poop yet. She walked about half way to the grass and had to be carried the rest of the way cause she does get tired with the meds and stress of everything I'm sure.

Still trying to decide whether to go visit. I think I'm going to leave her alone yet today and let her get a bit stronger. I'll talk to them in the morning again and see how she is doing and if all is well I will stop in on my way out of town for the interview.

I'm so excited all is well so far! I just cannot wait for Friday evening to be here so I can love on her myself and see all her progress!!!!

:yay :yay

Sounds great so far!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)