Raven Has Started Peeing In Her Sleep

Raven is perfectly housebroken... this isn't a training issue. But sometimes when she sleeps I think she dribbles. She wakes up and there's a pee stain on the dog bed. She did it on the couch, too, so I've had to barricade it with chairs to keep her off.

She turns 10 in January. I seem to recall that incontinence is fairly common in older spayed female dogs, and that there are various medications that can be given to stop it. Has anyone had experience with that?

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Energy11

No experience here, but I know it can be pretty common with older greys. I would stay away from Proin. It caused one of our fellow GTer's grey to die. I have heard a lot of bad things about this medication, although, most vets will tell you it is safe. I know there are a lot of natural things out there, too.

I would also have her urine checked for a possible UTI. That, too, could be causing the problem. Good Luck!

Ah, she sounds like she's becoming urinary incontinent--there are a couple of medications that would help. One of the more common drugs is called Proin. Personally, I don't feel that is a safe drug for hounds--I almost lost my girl to a very severe reaction to it. She was placed on DES instead and while that has it's own side-effects she did well with it. It's medication that can be weaned down to the lowest effective dose--for me it was once every 3-4 days.

I've had four dogs on Propalin, which has the same active ingredient as Proin. Two handled it well, one wouldn't eat it (it's a liquid that is put on food), and one (non-grey) had GI symptoms (she's IBD).

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greybookends
No experience here, but I know it can be pretty common with older greys. I would stay away from Proin. It caused one of our fellow GTer's grey to die. I have heard a lot of bad things about this medication, although, most vets will tell you it is safe. I know there are a lot of natural things out there, too.

I would also have her urine checked for a possible UTI. That, too, could be causing the problem. Good Luck!

Sounds like some urinary incontinence. First check for a urinary infection and then once that is ruled out you can decide on a course of action.

Sheana has been on Proin for about 4 years and I know many others who also are on it with no problems. Many people are allergic to Penicillin and have died from it and many more are not, that doesn't mean everybody has to stop using it. Everyone is different and will have a different reaction.

Good luck with your girl.

Edited by greybookends

I have absolutely no experience with this, but I thought that I read somewhere on GT about giving the dog 1/4 - 1/2 cup of 1% milk per day (if lactose tolerant) and the estrogen in the milk was supposed to help. Not sure if I got that right, but it may be worth checking out! Good luck with your sweetie!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I would check for UTI, timing/amount of her water consumption during the day, bloodwork, and blood pressure check before starting meds. Those things would help you rule out other issues as well as hedge your bets against side effects if no other problems are found. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would check for UTI, timing/amount of her water consumption during the day, bloodwork, and blood pressure check before starting meds. Those things would help you rule out other issues as well as hedge your bets against side effects if no other problems are found. Good luck!

I agree. Start by looking for the simple stuff first. Could be something easily fixable.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart