Valley Fever Dogs

I am a bit frustrated today. We have been battling VF for 16 months. I just saw Shanti's latest VF titer test results. They are no better than her tests a year ago and worse than the ones 6 months ago.

Her Igm is back to positive.

Her IgG is still 1:32.

Her titer has not decreased at all. It may never from what I hear. But why are we bouncing back to positive?!?!? That means the infection is fired up or on the move. That frustrates me!

Anyone else have a pup with Valley Fever that has done this?

The Girls

I know we have people here who know Valley Fever well, but maybe shoot Jean Dodds an email and see what she has to say.

Please give your beautiful girl a hug from us

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest azlorenz

I know it is discouraging but hang in there. Lexie has bounced from negative to positive before. She has been on meds since August 2006 and her titer has come down from 1:32 to 1:8 but has been at 1:8 for a year now. She is on 255mg X 2 daily and at age 11, will be on meds the rest of her life.

There seem to be more and more of us with VF dogs that never get to 1:4 let alone VF free. I am just happy that Lexie tolerates the medication and has a good quality of life. Our Jeffrey was so sick and did not tolerate the medication at all.

Guest Greytluv

Doni Rae has VF. She 1:4 for about 3 years no meds then shot up to 1:8. We put her on meds and she was down to 1:4. She was there for about a year and Dr. Dodds took her off all meds. She's still 1:4.

I know it is discouraging but hang in there. Lexie has bounced from negative to positive before. She has been on meds since August 2006 and her titer has come down from 1:32 to 1:8 but has been at 1:8 for a year now. She is on 255mg X 2 daily and at age 11, will be on meds the rest of her life.

There seem to be more and more of us with VF dogs that never get to 1:4 let alone VF free. I am just happy that Lexie tolerates the medication and has a good quality of life. Our Jeffrey was so sick and did not tolerate the medication at all.

I figure Shanti will be on medicine for life. She is currently on 276mg x 2 day. She does well thankfully on it.

Now we got out thyroid test back (in hours) and she is REALLY low. So we are increasing her soloxine. Wonder if it has anything to do with the VF and medicine for that? For 5 years it has not changed and now it has. Go figure!

The Girls

Guest azlorenz

Good question. I take it Shanti was on the Soloxine prior to the VF diagnosis? Lexie's thyroid count is slightly low but our vet has always been hesitant to put her on meds as she has no other symptoms....she a crazy, skinny maniac at 11 yrs.

As far as VF here in AZ, the likelihood of reinfection is so high (everytime the wind blows) the vets are keeping dogs on low doses of medication even if they get down to 1:2. I wonder if Southern CA is the same way for reinfection rates?

Thanks Christie! Lucy (Rileysmomma) did my siggy this time. I feel the need to go to Hawaii. :D

Good question. I take it Shanti was on the Soloxine prior to the VF diagnosis? Lexie's thyroid count is slightly low but our vet has always been hesitant to put her on meds as she has no other symptoms....she a crazy, skinny maniac at 11 yrs.

As far as VF here in AZ, the likelihood of reinfection is so high (everytime the wind blows) the vets are keeping dogs on low doses of medication even if they get down to 1:2. I wonder if Southern CA is the same way for reinfection rates?

Yes. She was on it from the day I got her. We tested her every 6 months for a while then moved to a year. It has never really varied. Now she is at .5 while on .5mg of Soloxine 2x a day. Last testing she was 1.5. So we will increase her dose and retest in a couple of weeks. Explains why her thighs went bald again. I will ask if there is a link to the VF and thyroid. Seems odd that after 4 years of no change it tanks.

The Girls

Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but have you thought about having your vet contact Suzanne Stack?

I'd second that. :nod

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but have you thought about having your vet contact Suzanne Stack?

I don't think she has contacted her. I know she spoke to another vet out there. Another one that was big in this field, but I can't remember her name for the life of me right now. Cynthia Harmony? I will have her contact Dr. Stack.

The Girls