Benefits To Keeping Testicles?

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom
I'm sorry, I know this is a serious post but this quote had me laughing so hard I almost wet myself! I can't imagine trying to keep a straight face in front of the doctors.

I swear, there is nothing funnier than real life. You can't make this stuff up!

Ain't it the truth!!! I know, I am laughing myself--trying to keep a sense of humor about it all is helpful.

I just don't understand, though, about scrotal hematoma, I guess. Could there be two distinct swelled areas?? I guess that is possible, since they removed two distinct things. He has absolutely no bruising, it is not hot, and it does not seem to bother him in the slightest--no licking, etc. of the area. <<sigh>>

So I guess we wait a month and see.

New vets. I wouldn't put my dogs life into the hands of somebody that cannot even tell what a pair feels like. You are not a vet. Yet you made the correct diagnosis when you examined him. Why pay and trust somebody that doesn't know as much about dogs as you do?

Lordy me. The vet you saw really does need to go and do some more training :eek

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

New vets. I wouldn't put my dogs life into the hands of somebody that cannot even tell what a pair feels like. You are not a vet. Yet you made the correct diagnosis when you examined him. Why pay and trust somebody that doesn't know as much about dogs as you do?

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! :yay

I would definitely lose confidence in my vet too...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

It sounds like someone got their veterinary license out of a Cracker Jack box.

But to play devil's advocate, is it possible that he could have a second, immature set of previously undescended testicles?

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

This is funny!!

I wouldn't change vets without going to the vet and actually talking to him/her myself. I have no idea about how big or small that iggy testes are, but I would guess that they come in different sizes. (I've seen enough un-neutered greyhounds to know that some are fairly tiny and some are... well, HUGE!)

And honestly, if the little knots stay in the scrotum, I'd have them xrayed, your vets might be right, stranger things have happened!

I am totally confused reading this thread and obviously need to do more reading about this, but every time I take a male greyhound from our group to get neutered, they STILL have visible "testicles" when they get back. A month to a few months later, they are completely gone (I'm assuming when the testosterone levels go down as a result of the neuter). I definitely need to educate myself on this because I had no idea they took anything out. I always assumed the lack of hormones shrunk the sacs naturally.

The only time our vets need to take something out is when the dog is crypt orchid. And that is a non-descended testicle and very much like a spay.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I am totally confused reading this thread and obviously need to do more reading about this, but every time I take a male greyhound from our group to get neutered, they STILL have visible "testicles" when they get back. A month to a few months later, they are completely gone (I'm assuming when the testosterone levels go down as a result of the neuter). I definitely need to educate myself on this because I had no idea they took anything out. I always assumed the lack of hormones shrunk the sacs naturally.

The only time our vets need to take something out is when the dog is crypt orchid. And that is a non-descended testicle and very much like a spay.

Actually, the vet puts a small cut in each side of the scrotum, (scrotum is the sack in which the testicles reside) and pops the testicle out and severs it and cauterizes the vas deferens (??? is it the same in dogs as it is humans?) and the blood supply. Then they put a suture or three in and the sack or the scrotum in place. Over time the scrotum or sack kind of shrivels up and mostly dissapears. But to neuter an animal, the testes have to be removed or else the dog would remain fertile and able to get a female pregnant. I've seen several of these done (not nearly as many as the vet techs on the board!) and it's pretty quick and very interesting.

Guest my3greys

I am sorry, but I just have to put my warped two cents in :2c At the end of all this mystery and diagnosis,,,buster must be an awfullly happy dog in spite of the humans despair!!! Such attention and on hands analysis!! :o:lol:blush

I would always neuter a male dog. There is a higher risk of testicular cancer and infection, not to mention prostate trouble, in a non-neutered dog. My son's IG wasn't neutered, and developed a badly infected prostate. He is fine now, and neutered!

Exactly :)

• 3 weeks later...