Arthritis Pain

My senior girl has had arthritis since I adopterd her last year. We give her the glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin everyday. But she is getting more stiff with age. She still runs around like a pup during her morning potty break, then moans and groans when she lays down. She is now 11 1/2 and has regained lots of muscletone for a senior since she came her.

I don't want to drug her with pain killers, but do want to make her more comfy. She sleeps on a memory foam bed. And when it is chilly, I always put her nightie on her to sleep. Would it be OK to give her a baby aspirin once a day to help with the arthritis????

Any other ideas to help her out would be greytly appreciated.

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

We started Smiley on Duralactin in addition to the Gluc/Condrotin and every other day regimen of Deramaxx. It's an OTC supplement and milk-based. It was recommended to us and I think this combo. has helped him. I am actually thinking of looking into acupunture at some point too . . .

You can try Arnica Montana for pain. You should be able to get it at any reputable health food store that sells homeopathic remedies.

I would ask the Vet for Tramadol.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest gretzky

We are using Adequan injections and I think they are really helping 11 1/2 yo Wonder. She actually initiates the chase with Zella sometimes now. She had been on Deramaxx but I think this is helping more.

Guest Energy11

If all of her blood work is good, I swear by 1/2 of a Deramaxx with food, everyday when they get up. Staggerlee is on that now, and he is doing VERY well.

He also gets all the joint supplements you mentioned as well. Good Luck!

Guest greyt2love
If all of her blood work is good, I swear by 1/2 of a Deramaxx with food, everyday when they get up. Staggerlee is on that now, and he is doing VERY well.

1/2 a Deramaxx is what my vet started Momma Sophia on just 2 days ago. Too soon to tell if it is helping, although she is not hesitaiting at coming up the back steps like she was prior to starting it. I'm looking forward to see what works for everyone else !!

Many natural things you can do to help them live longer and healthier.

1. Make sure you are giving 1500 mgs a day of each supplement - Glucosamine HCL, chondroitin, MSM. 1500 of each.

2. I'd add Vitamin C to that mix.

3. I'd add Grizzly Salmon Oil

4. I'd try CMO. You'll be able to see a difference with the use of one bottle, if it will help.

5. Digestive Enzymes - I like Medizym because it reduces inflammation too.

6. Acupuncture - contact a holistic vet near you

7. When I am Older booklet - details lots more to help dogs age well.

Adequan shots are also good. It either helps or not and you'll know within a month.

If you go to NSAIDs, which I only use when everything else isn't working, do blood work first, and continually, and keep them on milk thistle to support the liver/kidney.

hope this helps.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest Energy11

1/2 a Deramaxx is what my vet started Momma Sophia on just 2 days ago. Too soon to tell if it is helping, although she is not hesitaiting at coming up the back steps like she was prior to starting it. I'm looking forward to see what works for everyone else !!

If the Deramaxx DOES help, it can be given twice a day if necessary. I have the 75mg, and right now, I am giving Staggerlee just 1/2 daily, and it works. Good Luck with it.