Possible Cancer In Smiley's Toe

Guest Smiley

It has been probably the worst week we've ever had. First my Dad is diagnosed with cancer and today after taking Smiley in to the vet for what we thought was an infected toe, we find out it may actually be cancer. The vet has given us 48 hours and heavy antibiotics in the hope that it's an infection. If we don't see "dramatic" improvement by Thursday evening, we have to bring him in Friday a.m. to amputate his toe. I am so in shock from my dad's news that as I'm sitting there listening, I am just numb and trying to absorb the information. What was so scary was how serious our vet was and how quickly he wants to move. He feels that if it is cancer (either a melanoma or something called squeesarcoma???), both can spread/invade quickly. His words were to the effect of "There are only a few good things that this could be and a few very serious things as well". Please, please if you can spare some good thoughts, send them Smiley's way. He is my heart dog and my love and my heart breaks at the thought that this may be something very serious. :(

Edited by Smiley

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are basically 3 kinds of skin cancer.

Basal Cell carcinoma. The best if you are going to get cancer. Usually stays localized, rarely metastisizes.

Squamous Cell carcinoma (what I think is your Squeesarcoma). It's in the middle. If caught early, excellent prognosis, but can be nasty if caught late.

Melanoma.......nasty. You don't want to hear this.

I'm hoping for infection.

Good luck.

Thank you for your good thoughts for Smiley and my dad. We are playing a 48 hr. waiting game for now (which is killing me). I will take all of the prayers and white light that I can for my guy. I just cannot bear the thought of saying goodbye, so I will just keep praying.

Beth, good thoughts and white light just streaming your way from here. No one wants to hear the word cancer relating to someone they know, much less love. Having to hear it twice in one week, and about two of your most beloved people ... :(

:bighug :bighug :bighug

Chanting that both cancers are either figments of medical imagination, or treatable!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Worth doing a fine needle aspirate first? Some benign histiocytomas can look REALLY ugly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you again for your kind words and support-it means more than you know. As for those of you who have asked about a needle aspiration, the vet feels that this is not something he wants to wait and see on (and he is not cut-happy), but rather handle it as early as possible if in fact, the toe does need to be removed. Needle aspiration did not come up as an option.

Hmm. I guess I'm not clear on how you can tell by looking that something is cancer? Amputating the toe without checking seems a pretty drastic step. Usually a FNA can be read and back within a few days if necessary -- in some areas, even overnight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

They could get the needle aspirate results while you are waiting to see if the antibiotic works. usually that's the very first thing our vets have done to a suspicious bump, and we have usually gotten results while we are in the office.

Guest FordRacingRon

Exact same thing happened to me today with my girl. we too are going the anti-biotic route in hope. I will add Smiley to my prayers as I pray for Leia.

Remember that there can be life after cancer. Our Zippy has had two cancerous tumors removed from different body parts, and a year after the second one, she is still a happy, active 11yo. Hoping for the best for your pup!