Did You Nail Dremel Today?

It seems like lots of people have a hard time keeping their pup's nails short. Myself included! I just plain forget to... I was considering training Sunshine Aka Piggie to recall to suuuueyyy, but figured this would be more productive. :lol

I am happy to say that I have dremeled both girls' nails for two days in a row now. I've been doing them right before I make their supper so I don't forget. Anyone else want to join in in daily reminders?

We can make up a "No broken toe" song!

------

Jessica

Guest KennelMom

Unless you have a dog with a lot of length that won't let you get down to the quick, I can't see dremelling every day. If you are training or desensitizing a dog to having their nails done, sure. But otherwise, if you are getting down to the quick - which is what you want to do to get it to recede - dremelling every day is going to be painful for the dog after a couple days. You need to give the quick a chance to actually recede. If I'm trying to get length off a nail, I'll dremel about every week or so, depending on how fast or slow the nail grows and the quick recedes.

Really depends on the dog and daily routine. If dog goes for long walks on sidewalk, might not be anything to take off every day. If dog doesn't, you can usually take another quick swipe or two off the surface. If not daily then every other day. Most dogs' quicks move back *really* fast after they're dremeled or cut, and as long as you're not cutting into the quick, dog won't be sore.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Actually, I did my guys' nails today. They've got an "event" tomorrow that'll involve a bunch of walking, so I wanted to make sure there was no nail-clicking.

My local rescue group has a Yahoo group, and they use Yahoo's calendar system to send monthly grind-those-nails reminders to members.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Just finished going over Aston's nails.. they were pretty overgrown when I got him 2 months ago (they pushed his toes up when he was standing), so I dremel a leeetle bit every few days, with a treat thrown in for every foot or two. We're well on our way, especially in regard to his dewclaws. :thumbs-up

Really depends on the dog and daily routine. If dog goes for long walks on sidewalk, might not be anything to take off every day. If dog doesn't, you can usually take another quick swipe or two off the surface. If not daily then every other day. Most dogs' quicks move back *really* fast after they're dremeled or cut, and as long as you're not cutting into the quick, dog won't be sore.

Yes, I have found that if dremeled daily or every other day the quick recedes swiftly. It has a similar effect to walking on concrete. This approach is only used on dogs with overgrown nails. These are usually the dogs that need time to adjust to nail care so sometimes I am only doing one foot a night which amounts to twice a week. Others I actually do all feet every other night or even nightly. It is quick, easy & very effective.

Once the nails are at an acceptable length you then only dremel once a week or every other week, depending on the dog, how fast their nails grow, and what type of surfaces they walk on. My preference is to only need to grind off a little from each nail. It makes the process go much faster. As a result I get more cooperation from the dogs.

Folks can use whatever method works best for them & their dogs. This is just the method I have found easiest for our household.

I need to get off the laptop and dremmel the boys right now. You have all inspired me. Thanks!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Just finished going over Aston's nails.. they were pretty overgrown when I got him 2 months ago (they pushed his toes up when he was standing), so I dremel a leeetle bit every few days, with a treat thrown in for every foot or two. We're well on our way, especially in regard to his dewclaws. :thumbs-up

Man, that is REALLY overgrown! He must have been walking like a ballerina on point. I think I'd give Aston a treat every half inch or so! :lol

Sorry, just couldn't resist -- the visual was so vivid!

Man, that is REALLY overgrown! He must have been walking like a ballerina on point. I think I'd give Aston a treat every half inch or so! :lol

Sorry, just couldn't resist -- the visual was so vivid!

:lol It took me a second to get what you were visualizing!

Ahem, he gets a treat every few paws.. :) I used to treat every touch at first, then every toe, then every other toe as he got used to it; however, since I'm doing the Look at That! training with him now whenever we're on walks, I'm trying to space out his treating where I can to avoid weight gain for him (since Aston won't work for just *any* treat, it has to be something really really bad for him, i.e., REALLY REALLY GOOD)..

ETA: I have bought him better-for-him treats that he seems to like as well, but they hurt my wallet :mellow: but that's a subject for another thread!

Edited by o_rooly

Day #3! I almost forgot since I didn't do it before suppertime, but just got off my butt to use the cordless dremel on both girls. Did Rainy on Hubby's side of the bed... Shhh..... Little nail dust never hurt anyone. Sunshine never budget from her dog bed. I usually have to leash her and corral her against the furniture or in the bathroom. Good pup never even pulled her paws away while sleeping on the dogbed. Of course both dogs dashed to the kitchen for cookies afterward. Who has who trained? :rolleyes:

What is that dew claw for anyway? LOL

the purpose of the dew claw is to get caught on things so the dog can bleed allover your house :rolleyes:

:lol

I am about to leave to take the dogs to AAGI's nail trim day and let someone else do it :)

Whenever I have someone else do their nails I'm always disappointed with the length. I think Rainy's quicks grow abnormally quickly. Her nails grow faster than I can dremel if I do it once a week.

:lol It took me a second to get what you were visualizing!

Ahem, he gets a treat every few paws.. :) I used to treat every touch at first, then every toe, then every other toe as he got used to it; however, since I'm doing the Look at That! training with him now whenever we're on walks, I'm trying to space out his treating where I can to avoid weight gain for him (since Aston won't work for just *any* treat, it has to be something really really bad for him, i.e., REALLY REALLY GOOD)..

ETA: I have bought him better-for-him treats that he seems to like as well, but they hurt my wallet :mellow: but that's a subject for another thread!

You can always just treat with leftovers in the fridge if he's not picky. :lol Would the Look At That training possibly work for an extremely fearful dog?

------

Jessica