Weight Loss But No Appetite Loss?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

I just made a vet appt for my Wizard. He just turned 9 and has mild and well-controlled (no coughing) congestive heart failure, takes enalapril for that. He's always tended to be the chunkiest of my hounds, but lately we're noticing ribs sticking out--He's not emaciated at all, but it's new for him, and I'm getting scared. He eats fine and even seems greedier than in the past about asking for treats. What kinds of things might the vets look for in a dog who is hungry and eats but is getting thinner? Is this common in some seniors? His energy level is no different, still seems happy and interested in walks, runs out the back door into the yard and back in again, though he hasn't done yard-races for years now.

I just need to know what to worry about between now and the 13th, which is when his appt is. I also want to be sure the vets check everything they should.

Your thoughts?

Edited by SusanP

Guest Energy11

Ditto on the full blood panel, checking to be sure the kidneys and liver are functioning well, and, also checking for possible diabetes.

Also, with CHF(Congestive Heart Failure) at least in humans, breathing takes a bit more effort, for lack of a better word, therefore, they tend to use accessory muscles (muscles not normally used for breathing). This uses calories, and a lot of humans with CHF and other respiratory diseases are thin, and "barrel chested ..." Might want to ask the vet about this. If he is using accessory muscles to breath, this might have something to do wtih the weight loss. Again, I am using humans as an example, but I have found, over the years, especially working at the vets, human and canine diseases are amazingly similar, as well as their symptoms.

You should be okay until the 13th, unless you see anything drastically change, including increasing effort to breath, and as one of the other mentioned, increased drinking and urinating ... Good Luck and lots of love!

Guest SusanP

We have not noticed any increase in drinking or urinating. What kinds of things might they find? High thyroid? Cancer? :(

Wizard is the most amazing, communicative fellow I've ever met. He is so smart and tuned in. He is the one who comes to get me and nudge at a food or water dish that is empty, even if he is not hungry at the moment (I do free-feed--but I see him eating lustily every day). He's the one who reminds me if I'm late passing out evening pills (wrapped in cheese). He leads the pack on walks, with a big stuffy in his mouth, turning corners and crossing the street, etc... when I tell him to. He is happy and gets along with all his packmates, has never caused anyone trouble. He is such a precious boy.

Hmm, I think it would be hard to tell if he's really eating enough with free feeding. I think 9 is still a very young senior, but many seniors do tend to taper off a bit...maybe because their smell isn't as good? Maybe you could start giving him healthy, yet stronger smelling snack during the day and see if that helps? Maybe a Natural Balance roll cut up into bite-sized pieces to hand him during the day...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Energy11

What might they find? Possible kidney problems, which can be controlled with diet. High or Low thyroid ... hard to say. I do bloodwork with seniors 7 and up, twice a year. That is just me.

While you are waiting for his appt., why not drop off a poopy sample? Couldn't hurt! Might have some type of worms you aren't aware of. They are not always visable in the poop ... just a thought.

RE: the weight loss, you might just want to try feeding him high calorie treats/dog kibble, etc. many times during the day, and see if that helps put the weight on.

Please try NOT to worry until you have to. I know it is easy to say, but it means a lot to both of you. He can feel your stress, too.

Hugs to you both!

Guest mcsheltie
We have not noticed any increase in drinking or urinating. What kinds of things might they find? High thyroid? Cancer? :(

My first thought was hyperthyroid or diabetes.

Will he eat if you feed him two or three times a day, rather than free feed? Then you know exactly how much he is getting. You might see him eating with gusto. But he might quit eating sooner than he used to. This could have been happening over a period of time. The four cups he ate a day might now be down to 2 1/2 - 3. This could just be the effects of heart disease.

I like to know exactly what they are eating. If they go off their feed, even a kibble, I know it immediately.

Guest trevdog

Sometimes it can be the C word too. My boy Trevor ate like a pig and was weighing the same but he was looking thinner, we were attributing it to getting older. Unfortunately he did have cancer, and I guess what he was eating was feeding the growth. Even the bloodwork appeared normal.

Hoping this isn't what's going on in your case but do keep it in the back of your mind.

Guest SusanP
Sometimes it can be the C word too. My boy Trevor ate like a pig and was weighing the same but he was looking thinner, we were attributing it to getting older. Unfortunately he did have cancer, and I guess what he was eating was feeding the growth. Even the bloodwork appeared normal.

Hoping this isn't what's going on in your case but do keep it in the back of your mind.

That's been in the back of my mind right from the start. :(

Guest Energy11

Please TRY to keep the "C" word out your mind, until you have to. It is better for you, and for Wizzard. Love and hugs from here, ... from someone who has dealt with the "Big C," three times. A husband, and two hounds. Dee

Guest lgmaddox

I only say it b/c I just lost a hound to it, but stomach cancer. Gracie ate like a horse, pee and poop all fine, etc. , but had really lost weight over the past year. I attributed it (as evidently did the vets) to old age (14) and muscle wasting from LS, but found out the hard way this past Saturday that it was most likely the big C.

The vet said they could have done a xray, which might catch it, or MRI. She had already hemorraghed so badly there was nothing else to do -

I hope it's not, but please have it checked as a possibility. Best of luck.

Guest SusanP
I only say it b/c I just lost a hound to it, but stomach cancer. Gracie ate like a horse, pee and poop all fine, etc. , but had really lost weight over the past year. I attributed it (as evidently did the vets) to old age (14) and muscle wasting from LS, but found out the hard way this past Saturday that it was most likely the big C.

The vet said they could have done a xray, which might catch it, or MRI. She had already hemorraghed so badly there was nothing else to do -

I hope it's not, but please have it checked as a possibility. Best of luck.

I'm so sorry! :(:grouphug

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

This happened to my cat and it was worms even though I never saw one. I wormed him and in 2 weeks he was noticeably gaining weight again. Hopefully it is something simple like worms. Fingers crossed here for an easy fix.

While waiting for vet visit, I would do whatever you need to do to make sure he's getting enough calories. Doesn't mean you need to stop free-feeding everybody else, but he should probably have two substantial snacks all on his own. Substantial = a good-sized hamburger, or an egg and half a cup of kibble, or a large piece of bread with peanutbutter ......... Something high in calories (such as the hamburger) is good because that way he'll probably still feel like eating his usual kibble on his own.

There are lots of things that can cause a dog to lose weight that aren't cancer, and lots of ways to encourage a dog to keep weight on.

Fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My first thought was a thyroid issue. Hyperthyroidism can present a bunch of symptoms or just a few. My kitty was losing weight but was eating like I never fed her. She also lost the hair on her back legs. She didn't present with any of the other symptoms like excessive drinking or urinating, and the vet thought it was unlikely that her thyroid was off, but sure enough it came back at a level that was more than twice what it should have been. Does he seem lazier than normal? Rosie just started flopping herself down anywhere and everywhere to lay down. It was really strange, even for her (she's an odd cat).

Could also be worms. That's simple enough to treat.

I know he's always been differently shaped...kind of "chunky" moreso than the really lean body type that some of the hounds have. If he's just lost a little bit I wouldn't WORRY too much, it will actually be easier on his body if he's carrying a lighter load, but of course you want to find out if there's something that's causing the weight loss, or if that's just the way he's going to be.

Hope you can find some answers. I :wub: Wizard. I think I told you this but I almost adopted him when he was at the kennel. Such a lovey sweetheart! :)

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest SusanP
I :wub: Wizard. I think I told you this but I almost adopted him when he was at the kennel. Such a lovey sweetheart! :)

:)

I won't worry *too* much. He is as active as usual, and he isn't thin for a greyhound--Only for Wizard. But the ribs down near his waist seem very prominent. It's just different. I'll be glad to get him checked out, and I will bring a stool sample, now that many of you are mentioning worms.

I hope it's just something very simple to treat :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!