Dylan Is Really Sick

Guest Baloos_Mom

Guest Baloos_Mom

My poor buddy got really sick yesterday...lethargic, fever, and dehydrated. I took him in for some blood work...figuring his kindeys were acting up....and instead we found low calcium (8)and high chloride(119)....and the vet is thinking maybe it is Addison's disease????

Claudia's Misty had Cushings, like my Emmy did. From my understanding, Addisons is the opposite of Cushings. Prayers for your sweet baby.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Judy's right, like Emmy, Misty had Cushings, however she went into an Addisonian crisis.

If your vet suspects Addisons, I would hope he will do the ACTH to confirm and start treatment right away.

With Cushings, the cortisol level is too high, and with Addisons, it's too low.

If there are kidney issues, I am sure your vet will go very cautiously.

Please let us know how Dylan is

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My poor buddy got really sick yesterday...lethargic, fever, and dehydrated. I took him in for some blood work...figuring his kindeys were acting up....and instead we found low calcium (8)and high chloride(119)....and the vet is thinking maybe it is Addison's disease????

Poor thing! Have you scheduled an ACTH stim test? What is his Na/K (sodium/potassium) ratio? The is often the biggest clue to Addison's though Atypical Addision's can have normal electrolytes. Cannot remember the connection between Addison's & low calcium. Perhaps a low level of a hormone related to the parathyroid? My little sister's dog has been recently diagnosed with hypoparathyroid. (Not that that helps you at all.)

Sorry your boy is feeling poorly. Is he better? Did they give him any fluids? Hope he is feeling better.

Poor thing! Have you scheduled an ACTH stim test? What is his Na/K (sodium/potassium) ratio? The is often the biggest clue to Addison's though Atypical Addision's can have normal electrolytes. Cannot remember the connection between Addison's & low calcium. Perhaps a low level of a hormone related to the parathyroid? My little sister's dog has been recently diagnosed with hypoparathyroid. (Not that that helps you at all.)

Sorry your boy is feeling poorly. Is he better? Did they give him any fluids? Hope he is feeling better.

I don't remember any connection between Addisons and calcium. And hopefully, the vet will do an ACTH Supression before doing an ACTH Stim

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Could his funky bloodwork be due just to dehydration?

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Baloos_Mom

Sorry guys. ....didn't mean to fall off the face of the Earth! We have had a crazy time with Dylan being sick, sick DD, and on and on.

Anyhow, he started doing better...blood work looked better on Tuesday and yesterday he started getting bad again...down another 5 lbs and his color is gone again.

They keep checking his hematocrit which is now 18?? He is very anemic and they are looking at an autoimmune crisis or addisons at this point. He is going back in on Monday and I think they plan to do the test that everyone is asking about?? The vet was not there today but she talked with the tech on the phone and told her what all she wanted done. He is eating and not acting too terrible actually but he looks horrible and of course the blood work is not great either. I guess he is close to needing a blood transfusion.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear this, and you maybe right about the transfusion. Certainly couldn't hurt with the hematocrit being low.

At least he is eating, which helps for sure. Lots of prayers coming your way from us here on the mountain! Hope they figure out what this is soon!

Has he been tested for babesia?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.