Transitional Cell Carcinoma In Bladder

Guest Lori

Damien has been diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma of his bladder. Not that I'm wishing this on anyone, but does anyone have experience with this cancer? The surgeries sound so invasive, I don't want to subject him to those, he's almost 11 and he's so shaky on his back legs anyway. He's going on piroxicam right away, but I don't know if there are any other treatments. We're going to talk to the NCSU Oncology department, too.

Any advice is appreciated, as are your good thoughts and prayers for our sweet boy.

Maybe some additional vitamin C will help. Dogs do not need vit C the way we do, they have sufficient. But additional Vit C has worked wonders in our furry friends. This was advised to me by a vet actually for another malady of the bladder and it worked

Sorry to say but, TCC is bads news with dogs. Unlike people it's usually very aggressive and it doesn't respond well to chemo. The main problem with TCC is it tends to grow in the trigone (neck) of the bladder--that's were the urine exits the bladder---as the tumor grows it can occlude the urethra making it tough to impossible for your dog to void his bladder. Did you boy have an ultrasound to see were it is in the bladder and how was it determined that it was in fact TCC?? Please, never let your vet aspirate the bladder via cystocentesis---if they do that and your dog does have TCC they will draw the cancer cells out into the abdomen--so, no urine cystos ever. Piroxicam does seem to slow the growth of the tumor so, yes, stick with that but, do give it with food.

Sorry :(

No, they actually ran a catheter up into his bladder and drew out the cells that way -- they didn't do the needle biopsy for exactly the reason you expressed. The mass has already blocked the ureter to one kidney and caused damage. He is peeing fine -- in fact, he's a bit dribbly. But he's wearing his belly bands fine and my husband is working from home so that he can go out whenever he wants.

No knowledge or advice, just gentle scritchies for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom

Oh crap, I'm so sorry to hear this :(:grouphug

My Archie (non-grey) was misdiagnosed with this 4yrs ago. The vet gave him 2-3 months. I did a TON of research and I'm sorry to say that not much of it was positive.

Guest BasilMom

Not familiar with it myself but I was watching the local news here in NJ and there is a Vet in NJ that does a procedure. It is not a cure but a particular treatment. If I remember the dog had a few of them. It is a laser treatment to open the passage where the tumor blocks urine from being able to pass. Maybe your Vet can research for you. Good Luck.

There is a Dr at OSU (Urologist) that would place a stint into the ureters or urethra and therefore allowing the dog to pass urine. I do know the Dr in NJ very well--as far as I know he is still only working with females (dogs that is :rolleyes: )---he uses an ultrasound guided cystoscope--because it's a rigid scope it is not compatible for the male anatomy.

Guest BasilMom
There is a Dr at OSU (Urologist) that would place a stint into the ureters or urethra and therefore allowing the dog to pass urine. I do know the Dr in NJ very well--as far as I know he is still only working with females (dogs that is :rolleyes: )---he uses an ultrasound guided cystoscope--because it's a rigid scope it is not compatible for the male anatomy.

I believe the Dr. is in Ridgewood,NJ northern part of the state. I don't recall hearing about the procedure being for females only. But it makes sense.

Edited by BasilMom

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update for everyone - Damien is doing quite well! The piroxicam is apparently helping his with his bladder issues because there has been very little leakage since he's been on it. By the way, it was $54 for the generic at the regular pharmacy, $4 at Wal-mart.

He's gotten a tiny bit demanding. :rolleyes: If one of the little dogs is laying in his bed, he comes and stares at us until we move him/her. :colgate If we let him out in the back yard (fenced) and don't let him back in the MOMENT he arrives at the back door, we get barked at. And, if I go to the bathroom, I get barked at. :lol

Thanks for all your good thoughts!

You go Damien!!!! Good update!!

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest greyvettech

We had a patient that was diagnosed with TCC. He was put on peroxicam and antibiotics for secondary infections. He was 12 and they opted not do do the ultrasound or chemo or any surgery because of his age. He lived almost a year on peroxicam.-of course, every dog is different. I am soo sorry about this horrible diagnosis but he could still live a happy life :) Good luck with him!!!

We had a patient that was diagnosed with TCC. He was put on peroxicam and antibiotics for secondary infections. He was 12 and they opted not do do the ultrasound or chemo or any surgery because of his age. He lived almost a year on peroxicam.-of course, every dog is different. I am soo sorry about this horrible diagnosis but he could still live a happy life :) Good luck with him!!!

This makes me feel better! He does seem to be feeling better -- he was carrying around some toys last night, which he hasn't done for a long time. :colgate

I'm so sorry that I've missed this until now Lori.

Sending much love to Damien and his people :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• 1 year later...
Guest NahlaGreys2

I realize this post is over a year old - but I was curious if there are any updates on Damien? My girl Annie, who is 11, was just diagnosed with TCC and it's affecting her urethra and her ability to urinate. Started Piroxicam a couple of weeks ago and have some improvement, still frequent potty breaks but there hasn't been a reoccurance of blood (that I can visibly see). I'm unsure which vet I'm supposed to continue seeing for her treatment, as in if I'm supposed to find an oncologist or continue seeing the internist who diagnosed her? Any suggestions? TIA.

Ugh, I was afraid this is what the histopath would come back as- sorry. TCC is a sucky cancer. It's not easy to treat as it doesn't respond well to chemo. Piroxicam is a good NSAID that seems to slow the progression of the diseae--- do give it with food. Surgery usually isn't an option because of where it grows within the bladder. Sounds like it's in your hounds urethra. I do know that there's a urologist at OSU that can place a stent in the urethra--that would allow you pup to continue to void the bladder. I would contact OSU after the first of the year to truly see what options are available. Perhaps Dr Couto has a new protocol that's he's trying.

Guest NahlaGreys2

Ugh, I was afraid this is what the histopath would come back as- sorry. TCC is a sucky cancer. It's not easy to treat as it doesn't respond well to chemo. Piroxicam is a good NSAID that seems to slow the progression of the diseae--- do give it with food. Surgery usually isn't an option because of where it grows within the bladder. Sounds like it's in your hounds urethra. I do know that there's a urologist at OSU that can place a stent in the urethra--that would allow you pup to continue to void the bladder. I would contact OSU after the first of the year to truly see what options are available. Perhaps Dr Couto has a new protocol that's he's trying.

It's definitely in the urethra per the cystoscopy photos. Not sure about the bladder since she wasn't able to get the scope/camera all the way through the urethra. I've seen Dr. Couto mentioned in multiple threads - I'll go search those out for information on contacting and what (medical) information I need before I make contact. My internist did mention a place in NY/NJ that does the stints (which I've seen mentioned on GT as well) .. she also mentioned something like a catheter that leads from the bladder out the abdominal wall? I hate that this sounds harsh but given her age, I'm unsure at this point what extraordinary measures I'll be able to financially take with her. I had to leave work early yesterday because I was so torn up about it. Just very hard to know she's sick when she isn't acting sick.

The vet in NJ does a type of surgery to de-bulk the tumor-- he does not instill stents. I am very familiar with that dr and the procedure-- I personally would not go that route. Feel free to pm me and I can discuss why to you. Please contact joejoesmom for info on how to contact Dr Couto.

Guest NahlaGreys2

The vet in NJ does a type of surgery to de-bulk the tumor-- he does not instill stents. I am very familiar with that dr and the procedure-- I personally would not go that route. Feel free to pm me and I can discuss why to you. Please contact joejoesmom for info on how to contact Dr Couto.

I can't seem to figure out how to PM on this forum - even after reading the instrucions :blink:

I can't seem to figure out how to PM on this forum - even after reading the instrucions :blink:

I think you have to have 50 posts. sad.gif You can do a search for joejoesmom's posts for the Dr. Couto info - she has a very thorough write-up.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis