Upcoming Vaccinations

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea's (just turned 2 yrs. old in August) vaccinations are due next week and I'm researching which vaccinations to have given. Could you please share which vaccinations you get and choose not to get for your grey ... and why, please?

Ady Bea is very social. She lives for meet n greets and play dates! She goes to doggy classes and loves to ride in the car. We don't go to dog parks, but we go everywhere else. We also live in a rural area with 2 ponds, so lepto is a consideration.

Thanks for all your input.

Shelly in OK.

Guest Energy11

At two, I'd get all of them (vaccinations). Once mine reached six, I just do Rabies (mandatory and a good idea here), and Bordetella. Best to check with your vet, or even OSU (Ohio State). Good Luck!

I do rabies because it is a law in our state. I don't do the bordella or vaccinations because I don't board my dogs or take them to dog parks. If I needed to get them vaccinated I would have my holistic vet do a titer to see how much vaccine is still left in their system. If you have them boarded, then the kennel should accept the titer report.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

:nod Since I live in the woods, in the mountains, i get everything, as mine have the run of 16 acres, and wild life is every where, I think it depends on your situation, I also do lymes

Guest Energy11
:nod Since I live in the woods, in the mountains, i get everything, as mine have the run of 16 acres, and wild life is every where, I think it depends on your situation, I also do lymes

I live in the woods too, but, mine don't have the run of the property. I opted not to do Lyme, because I have really had no problems with ticks, but, I think you are doing the right thing in your case :-)

:lol It is pretty funny to see the grey try to keep up with the gun dogs through the woods, he is fast, they are agile, they make quick turns, the grey sprints right past, they stop and look at him as if to say "hey buddy, back here"

Guest Energy11
:lol It is pretty funny to see the grey try to keep up with the gun dogs through the woods, he is fast, they are agile, they make quick turns, the grey sprints right past, they stop and look at him as if to say "hey buddy, back here"

I bet it is pretty cool! Isn't it nice living in the woods, though? We had four deer in the yard the other evening at dusk, eating the wild mushrooms. The females look like Cari! Then, a baby bear, I'd say ... maybe 9 months, stole our trash can and dragged it into the woods :-)) And, now, Tom and Hen Wild Turkeys! Oh, not to mention the five foot skin of what we HOPE is a Rat Snake :-) I like those!

:yikes We fenced in the whole area 16 acres, to try to keep the deer at bay, we had a sllllllight issue with a fawn, involving a tackle across the yard, and prying open of jaws, so DH fenced in the whole thing, turkeys, are a game here for the GSP, and the lewellyn, the bobcats are what make me nervous, not the snakes!!!!!!!

Guest Energy11
:yikes We fenced in the whole area 16 acres, to try to keep the deer at bay, we had a sllllllight issue with a fawn, involving a tackle across the yard, and prying open of jaws, so DH fenced in the whole thing, turkeys, are a game here for the GSP, and the lewellyn, the bobcats are what make me nervous, not the snakes!!!!!!!

No Bobcats here YET! ;) Our front pen is a "privacy pen," so the GH's can't see out, and the larger fenced pen ... well, we walk it to be sure nothing bad is in there, and we stay with them in it, as they can see the deer, other animals, etc. from this pen.

Guest trevdog

We have quite a few acres too, so mine get everything at least for now. Ossie will be 10 next year, so I might reconsider next year for him. Dallas being the social butterfly and a youngster needs it all.

I have Bu vaccinated for everything. I'm a pet sitter and he comes to work with me. I also go to parks and down wooded trails with him. Even my indoor only cats get everything because I don't know what I'm going to come home with. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I skip the leptospirosis vaccine: there are eight main strains of leptospirosis that affect dogs, and the current vaccine only protects against a couple of the strains. Also, the current leptospirosis vaccines are killed whole-culture vaccines, which are more likely to cause problems than other vaccines. I once heard that more dogs have bad reactions to the leptospirosis vaccine than to all the other vaccines--combined. See here for more info; note that the site says vaccinations against leptospirosis only protect for 6 to 8 months. This pet education site specifically says:

Because of the lack of cross protection between strains, the high incidence of reactions, and the need for frequent vaccination many veterinarians have begun to recommend leptospiral vaccinations only for those dogs at higher risk.

My dogs are city slickers. They go for polite walks on asphalt, pee in the pine straw at the end of the block, and hang out with me in the house. They're aren't getting into bodies of water or other situations that might expose them to the mostly likely leptospirosis sources. (I live in a condo, so they don't even have a yard to race around in.)

My dogs are around other dogs on occasion, so they get bordatella "snorts" every six months (and if they get a respiratory-tract infection, we can assume it's canine influenza and treat accordingly, since they're not likely to become kennel cough victims). Rabies once every three years. They've been getting DHPP once a year, but I may ask the vet's opinion of the 3-year version of that vaccine. Sam is 9, Jacey is 6. Neither dog has had a bad reaction to vaccines (although Sam scared the hell out of the vet after a ketamine reaction during anesthesia). I do make it a point to stagger their vaccines: rabies on one visit, DHPP on another, and bordatella on a third. If someone's going to have a bad reaction, I want to know what they're reacting to. (My vet charges for an office visit when there's an examination, and I get the rabies shot on that visit. No office visit charges for inoculations by the vet tech, so the tech does the DHPP and bordatella on those visits.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Last year we did a three year dhpp on Frank, and lepto and bordatella. They both get three year rabies, too. Chels also got a three year dhpp and one year lepto. Frank, from now on, because he is almost ten, will only get lepto, rabies, and bordatella if needed. I will probably have Chelsa get one more combo vaccine and then the same will go for her, too.

Guest RocketDog

3-year rabies and DHPP here. I don't do the bordatella since we don't board or visit dog parks, and we don't go into 'wild' areas enough to warrant lyme...

Also, the current leptospirosis vaccines are killed whole-culture vaccines, which are more likely to cause problems than other vaccines. I once heard that more dogs have bad reactions to the leptospirosis vaccine than to all the other vaccines--combined.

I've always heard that too. Yet, the lepto vaccine seems to be one that Zema either doesn't react to or has a lesser reaction to (she gets premed for all vaccines so hard to tell). We get it annually because we have a lot of wild critters here and vets in my area do see the disease. We get the bordetella if the dogs are going places with lots of other dogs.

The other vaccines we do on a 3-year rotation. So normally one per year plus the lepto. There is a lot of crud in our area -- and a lot of unvaccinated young dogs who carry it -- and this is what my most vaccine-averse vet recommends.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Heidi got all the vaccines in February. She had only been with us for 2 months and I was very new to the world of dogs, so I went with my vets recommendations. She ended up with three shots (I think). I know two of them were rabies (required by law), bordetella, but I would have to look at her paperwork to figure out what the third one was.

She had a bad reaction to the shots and scared us horribly. She had all the shots around 3pm and by 7pm her back end was so weak that she had trouble climbing up and down the three steps on our deck. She was kind of lathargic and refused to eat. By the next morning she was fine. I plan to spred out any shots with at least a week between them in the future. I don't know if my vet will charge an office visit for each shot, but it's worth it for her health even if he does.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

She had a bad reaction to the shots and scared us horribly. She had all the shots around 3pm and by 7pm her back end was so weak that she had trouble climbing up and down the three steps on our deck. She was kind of lathargic and refused to eat.

Be sure to discuss that with your vet. For that kind of reaction, I would tend to limit vaccines to the legal minimum and to titer if possible rather than vaccinate for those (more expensive, but).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rabies because it's required by law. DHPP every 3 years and lepto every year. We don't do bordatello because we do not board.

Same here. While I've never done it, I'm thinking of doing a titers next time. I do lepto because according to my vet they can pick it up from standing water or even if they lick skunk urine.

• 9 years later...

found this even though i was looking for vaccinations and elderly dogs. felix, 11 yrs, 8 months failing kidneys and pancreas(lyme/anaplas), is due for rabies i'll do that since we will be living out of state for the next couple of months but my gut says no DHLPP or LEPTO, even though LEPTO is pretty bad in san antonio. just go for rabies.

people, your opinions? felix is hanging on, but something besides the kidney and pancreas malfunctions is brewing. i am not going to go for a sonogram or anything else. he's happy, still playing with his balls and toys and eating but loosing weight. go with my gut? or ????

thanks

i've never experienced a dog with such a long decline. all of my other dogs were steady until the very end. so, they just kept them going w/o a problem.