Juneau - Letting Him Go Tomorrow

Guest greycrew

Guest greycrew

I'm starting to panic. I have to put Juneau to sleep tomorrow and I don't think I can do it. I can't breath when I think about taking him. He loves going in the car. He hates going in the vets office. I hate that his last ride has to be to that place. I wish my vet could come to my house. I can't believe how painful this cancer is for him and how quickly it got so bad. I almost changed the appointment last night because when I get home he runs to the door to greet me and runs outside (slowly) with his stuffy. He's soooooo happy. But, last night he was afraid to go down the stairs. He can barely make it. It's heartwrenching to watch and a lot of you know. I don't know how I'm going to make it through this day of work. I want to be home with him. I don't want to let him go. I hate having this responsibility. He's my baby June.

I just had to write about it. I know a lot of you know what this feels like...

Edited by greycrew

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytful4

Boy do I ever know...sounds like me a few months back. Do you have a friend who could help you? Thank God for my firend Linda who helped me immensely during that awful time. She was even with my Kylie at the end, I was an emotional wreck and just couldn't. Hugs to you and your baby June :grouphug

Perhaps your vet might be willing to come out to the car?

I'm so sorry you're facing this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest myIrishlass

If your vet's office has a little green space around it, maybe they can let Juneau rest out there, without having to actually go inside the office. Just bring a big blanket for him to be on.

Guest greycrew

Yes, it's in the country - lots of grass and farm animals. I'll ask him if he'll do it outside, he'll be much more comfortable, but I have a feeling he doesn't do that...

And I have friends and family and bf that offered to go with me, but I want to be alone with him.

Guest PhillyPups

I so know what you are going through. It is so heartbreaking giving our beloved pups the greytest gift of letting them go.

I ran into this with The Divine Ms. SugarBear when I had to let her go due to the osteo. When I picked her up to carry her out to the SUV, which was loaded with comforters, she cried in pain. I just did not want her to ever have to hurt again. I went into my vets office just about hysterical. They said not to worry, go out and sit with her and they would come out. I was given the gift of an additional 15 minutes to tell her how much I loved her and how I so hated letting her go. She went to the bridge cradeled in my arms with a piece of my heart and soul in her paws.

I am sitting here in tears still as I type this, tears for you and tears for the memory of my sweet SugarBear. :bighug to you

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My heart breaks for you - it's a very hard decision but you have to be strong and do what's best for Juneau not what you think is best for you. We all have to make decisions like this with our hounds and there isn't a one of us that doesn't think it's the hardest thing we have ever done and we wish it could be some other way. Love on Juneau today and give him whatever he wants. Make his last day be joyful and happy. Hugs!

Guest TheUnrulyHound

My vet also works on my horses and charges a house call to come out to see them, I would think that it would be the same kindof thing for a dog, just inside the house instead of the barn.... maybe you can get a equine/small animal vet to come to your house? Mine takes care of all kinds of animals.

It has to be so hard for you, I am so sorry :( Kisses to Juneau and hugs to you

Like you, I didn't want anyone with me. It was a very personal thing and I wanted Misty all to myself that morning.

I was dialing the vet's number a couple of times to make the appt and then couldn't go through it, but I realized this wasn't fair to her, I couldn't make her stay because I wanted her to stay.

You both are in my prayers, it'll be the most selfless thing you do in life for someone you love beyond what words could ever describe.

:candle

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greycrew

I will be having him cremated so I guess it would be best to take him there. Hopefully he will do it outside for me. I had to put my cat down 2 years ago. That was awful. This is my first grey to go. I can't stop crying at work.

Thanks so much for all the support.

Guest jettcricket

I'm so sorry...so many of us have been down this road and it is so incredibly hard. But as others have said, it's the final gift of love that we can give our babies.

I send you strength, white light and peace...... :grouphug

Guest Energy11

With Max, we had three months, because he was diagnosed VERY early on into the Osteo of his left front leg. He was able to move with us, out of Florida to the mountains, and enjoy 2.5 months here.

When he just started spending the days lying around, not wanting to eat, eyes glazed ... hopping on three legs, we decided on a Friday, it would be Monday morning. I doubled his pain meds over the weekend, and we were able to spend the weekend with him, before he left.

If any of the remaining five are ever in a position like this , where they need to be sent to The Bridge, I am going to ask Dr. Karen to come here. I have a room where we can be away from the other dogs, and all ...

It is NEVER an easy decision, but you know your baby, and don't want more suffering.

We will all be with you in heart and spirit, when you send Juneau to The Bridge!

My heart is breaking for you. I hope that your vet, or one of the techs who is able, will meet you in the pretty grassy space outside the office. Please know that you can do this and give Juneau this gift, and that you will make it through. You are going to be surrounded by so much love and support tomorrow, even though you won't see any of us. Hug on your boy today, give him everything you ever thought was too decadent. Love him as much as you possibly can.

Guest Flysmom

My heart is breaking for you!!

If you can, go and ask for the rest of the day off so you and Juneau can spend time together.

I would ask somebody to wait for me in the car tomorrow, you will have a shoulder and a driver - I wish I would have had that when I had to let Fly go, I don't remember how I made the 1 1/2 hrs. drive home and I probably should have not behind the wheel.

You are giving Juneau the greatest gift you can give!

Guest 3greysinPA

my thoughts and prayers are with you both during this most difficult time.. :hope:hope:hope:candle:candle:candle

Sending White light and peace and hugs.. :grouphug:grouphug