$590.05 Dental Treatment?

Guest GracieMae

Guest GracieMae

My first experience with this so I'm just looking for some feedback.... :huh

:ghplaybow My dear one needed her teeth cleaned and I took her to her regular vet that I like and trust very much.

I paid $131.00 for bloodwork checkup (Superchem with Complete Blood co.) about a week ago.

Monday we went in and she had her teeth cleaned. I paid $459.05 for that. I asked if there were any extraordinary situations. There were none, "...just normal precautions needed for the greyhound physiology...."

I'm so very grateful she is okay and handled the procedure well.....and her toofers are bright white. :D

Just gnawing at me still is the costs involved. I have a friend in IL who paid $300 for her Standard Poodles and friends in PA who paid about half of what I paid and got a 10% senior discount. Should I shop around or be grateful my little darling has an even more gorgeous smile than before and has lost her breath of the living dead.

I have 2 more houndies to have this done with so it really matters.... :ghplaybow:ghplaybow

Thanks for your help!

Wow! I guess it varies with different vets but my girl Tracy went in for her dental last month and while she was under the vet removed a small growth from beside her eye. All of that, including the bloodwork and antibiotics, was only $400. $459 seems hight to me for a routine dental cleaning.

I was at the vet today with Lenny to have his blood work done as he goes in for a dental next week. I've had many dentals done here and I have to say that if Lenny's bill is only double that I'll be thrilled.

My vet and I were discussing the cost and about how high it is here in the desert.

At my vet, they use the safest anestheisia, monitor and use a fluid pump...not a fluid drip. Yes it's more expensive, but as safe as it can be.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Scouts_mom

My vet recently quoted $800-$900 for cleaning my Mindy's teeth. I know costs vary widely geographically and even from vet to vet. I am currently getting estimates from other vets but it is hard to find a cheap vet that I would trust my girl to.

Guest Energy11

Wow... between $160-200 here and at my vets in Florida. This doesn't include the pre-surgical bloodwork, though. Guess it varies from vet to vet, state to state.

Guest greyaspet

Bloodwork is the cost at my vet unless they have had blood work within the last 6 months then it is not needed and the cheapest I got away with for my 3 was 500.00 for Cimi. The boys were over that. And none had any teeth removed.

Sheila

O.K. I live in the middle of no-whereville, and I assure you if our vet here, only one, charged that he'd have no business, my grey is the only dog (in my whole life with dogs) that ever had a dental, with x-rays, and meds, dental was $147.00

Geeesh, I thougt our So Calif prices were high! I just had both hounds done to take advantage of a 20% off in August offer. Gracies bill was $399, but included: Senior wellness exam consult, Senior Blood Screening/ UA ($ 104.95), fecal filtration test, Torbusic inj ( for pain), Amoxicillan x 10 days and her rabies shot. The dental part of that including anesthetic & floride was $206. Carl's bill was a tad more because he had a thyroid free T4 test in the blood work.

Edited by Charla

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest GracieMae

Thank you for your replies, they have been very helpful :wub:~ I think living in NJ makes a difference and I'm looking at the itemized invoice which lists what was done and I guess like when you go to the beauty parlor, it depends on what you'd like done, either the basic cut or the whole wash color cut blow dry and style.

Anesthesia $95

Dental Treatment $175

Pain Management Injection $45

Antibiotic Injection $33

10 Clindamycin 150 mg caps $15 (to take 2 a day for 5 days) $1.05 Tax

I.V. Catheterization $65

Fluid Therapy $30

I have an inexpensive, $85/yr. Dental Insurance Plan and pay $100 twice a year for my X-rays and cleaning. :eek

Guest K9Cookies

We've got Fixer and Gracey who both need dentals in the near future. :huh I just talked to our vet about the price this morning. We did a CBC and Superchem this week for Gracey at about $120. The dentals would start at about $300. She said that with 2 of Gracey's teeth that need to come out, we're looking at almost $800. Cringe. :huh2

Thank you for your replies, they have been very helpful :wub:~ I think living in NJ makes a difference and I'm looking at the itemized invoice which lists what was done and I guess like when you go to the beauty parlor, it depends on what you'd like done, either the basic cut or the whole wash color cut blow dry and style.

Anesthesia $95

Dental Treatment $175

Pain Management Injection $45

Antibiotic Injection $33

10 Clindamycin 150 mg caps $15 (to take 2 a day for 5 days) $1.05 Tax

I.V. Catheterization $65

Fluid Therapy $30

I have an inexpensive, $85/yr. Dental Insurance Plan and pay $100 twice a year for my X-rays and cleaning. :eek

Oh, yes, living in New Jersey (northern) can be expensive. My grey had his dental in July and the Superchem was $142.00. The dental itself with anesthesia, etc., came to $718.00. Should I also mention that when the urinalysis came back, they suspected an infection and wanted to do a urine culture & M.I.C. for a total of $115.00 (which I, of course, did). Add in the tip and we have reached $1,000. (Okay, I am just kidding about the tip.) Thankfully, he was fine and the dental went perfectly (no extractions, etc). Two days later I got a reminder card in the mail that my other grey was due for her dental :yikes

Guest GentleHugs

Last year, Ashley's dental cost $459.00 and that included pre-op bloodwork for a senior, cleaning, extractions, pain meds, antibiotics, fluid therapy, her own private vet tech and a cushy suite in my vet's private office inside the clinic. She had plenty of extractions but it was worth it to have her feeling good again. She did greyt but I was having a silent heart attack all the while she was under for her dental.

My vet said her bloodwork was fantastic - especially for a greyhound and a senior at that. She was 10 1/2 then.

My Patrick came to me fully vetted (including tick titered, too) from his race owner. She gave me copies of all his vet records so I could give them to my vet. He had a dental done just a couple of weeks prior coming to me and his dental cost a little over $100 - antibiotics but no extractions..... The difference between the 2 dental bills on each kid was I live in a large city with city prices and Ashley had plenty of extractions. Patrick's race owner took him to her small town vet she always uses for all of her Greyhounds.

I know an east coast group that just got through paying out $859.00 for a dental on one foster dog.

I think you will find that pricing on dentals or on any procedure done is going to vary depending on where you live and what vet you use.

Guest tricolorhounds

Copper had his dental this past Friday:

Dental prophy, polish and flouride $115.00

Isoflurane gas anesthesia $110.00

Antibiotic injection $35.00

injection for pain $40.00

4 easy extractions $60.00

4 moderate extractions $128.00

Clindamycin tabs $27.00

Tramadol tabs $5.25

Rimadyl caps $18.00

DHLPP & Corona Vac $36.00

Bordatella Vac $18.00

Giardia Vac $20.00

________

total $612.25

Pre-Op Exam/Bloodwork $154.00

________

altogether $766.25

Edited by tricolorhounds

Costs really depend on your area of the country. Your bill sounds quite reasonable for where you're located.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest paulamariez

Welcome to my world! We paid over $ 600 for Bueller last time which included two small front teeth removed. I live just north of Milwaukee, WI and we seem to have extremely high vet prices here. When we lived in southeastern WI, the prices were more reasonable. And all the vets around here charge the same exorbitant prices, because we checked around.

The only thing I question about your bill is a pain management shot. Why in the world would a dog need one for a routine dental?

I just paid $279 (in February there would be a 20% discount because it's dental month) which included the dental and blood work and she was ready to go at 2:30. I think that is high, however, after seeing some of your costs, I will not complain.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits