Bea-e-vet Last Night....attacked At Boarding Kennel - Long

Guest LeanneSchatz

Guest LeanneSchatz

I am feeling sick over this. So, my two greys were at a boarder that I have used in the past. I have one girl Bea, who is 7. She has a thyroid issue, she's pretty mellow and another girl, Sizzle who is 5. Sometimes Sizzle has some space aggression and if she feels threatened, she'll snap at others. Well, when we went to pick up the girls last night, Bea was ravaged with bite wounds. Old bite wounds. We took her home and started cleaning them up and noticed her front leg was twice the normal size so we took her to the E-vet. The E-vet said that the wounds were at least 24 hours old, maybe more and the swelling is due to an infection from one of the wounds. So, all in all, we spent half the night at the E-vet who was amazing. They cleaned all wounds, gave some IV antibiotics and pain meds and sent us home with more. Bea is expected to be ok. So this morning, I get an e-mail from the boarder saying that Bea has issues and that she's unstable. I know that she is a little shy, she has some issues but I found this e-mail to be unnecessary. She also said that she also must have an underlying health issue and that is why she is so mellow. Also she says that wounds just happened two hours prior to our arrival when Sizzle and Bea were in the same kennel (they were seperated the whole time, or so we thought). What blows my mind is that the boarder called me on Saturday to say she thought Bea was acting more lethargic. Well, I am sure it was because she had all those wounds and infection was starting. I am sick over this, the poor girl must have been scared out of her mind and in pain and no one noticed. Now, here's my question, she had 8 wounds on both sides of her body. Could my other grey have done all that at once and not have a scratch on her from poor Bea trying to defend herself? I am baffled. Please pray for my bumble Bea and that she makes a full recovery. And please give me some thoughts on if this was all possibly done by one mildly, space aggressive grey!

Thanks all!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the girls were suppose to be in separate runs and they were put together...I'd be PO'ed that instructions weren't followed and the kennel would be paying the bills.

Hope Bea feels better soon.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest LindsaySF

You may never know what happened. It could have been your other Grey. Were your dogs turned out with other dogs at all?

Did you pay the boarder? I wouldn't. Take photos of the injuries ASAP, keep copies of the vet bills, and sue her for all of it.

I hope she feels better soon. Good luck.

Guest Energy11

As a former Kennel Manager at my veterinarian's office in Florida, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

One, the wounds SHOULD have been dealt with AND addressed by this boarding kennel! Two, IF you stated the dogs should have been kept separately, then, that is that! Three, MIGHT have been one of the other boarders, maybe not yours, who attacked, Bea. Sometimes, and my people included, would get LAZY and turn some of the non-related dogs out together, which was a definite NO NO at my kennel.

I would tell this kennel THEY have to pay the E-vet bills, and ask WHY a vet wasn't called in IMMEDIATELY after the attack, and why you were not notified, IMMEDIATELY. That would have been policy at my kennel.

I am sooo sorry about this, and it makes me SICK! This gives boarding kennels a bad name, and one of many reasons, I REFUSE to board my greys. If I had to be away, I'd use a pet sitter, and they are becoming more and more popular.

Love, hugs and best wishes for a quick recovery!

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this and am sending healing thought to Bea. I see you've already been given excellent advice but I wanted to add that all 3 times that my dog was bitten by another dog, he did not bite back, so I do think it's possible that Bea didn't either.

Guest LeanneSchatz
If the girls were suppose to be in separate runs and they were put together...I'd be PO'ed that instructions weren't followed and the kennel would be paying the bills.

Thanks! I am not sure how to go about this, when you sign the form at the kennel, are you releasing them of all liability? You should see the wounds. I wish I could post from here. The infected one has caused her whole leg to be twice the size and her poor paw is huge. There is no way that would happen in 2 hours!!!

Guest IrskasMom

I an any Event , You should have been Notified and told right away. . I actually don't belief your Sizzle did this . Could there be another Dog/Dogs

invalved ??

Sending gentle,healing Hugs for your Bea and you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Energy11

Thanks! I am not sure how to go about this, when you sign the form at the kennel, are you releasing them of all liability? You should see the wounds. I wish I could post from here. The infected one has caused her whole leg to be twice the size and her poor paw is huge. There is no way that would happen in 2 hours!!!

Not at my former kennel. (the signature did not release us from liability). WE had TO FOLLOW all owner instructions. No, I would NOT let this go, no way, no how!

Again, sooo sorry you had to go through this! Dee

I an any Event , You should have been Notified and told right away. . I actually don't belief your Sizzle did this . Could there be another Dog/Dogs

invalved ??

Sending gentle,healing Hugs for your Bea and you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

MOST definitely, they should have been notified immediately after the incident. It was handled terribly! What IF Bea were to have been there longer, and gotten reaally sick??? Then what? This "kennel," was totally wrong!

I'm astounded. To put it mildly.

And I would expect the boarder to pay the vet bills. Get a lawyer if you need to.

Can't believe a conscientious animal person -1- wouldn't follow your instructions, and -2- wouldn't get care immediately for an injured dog. -2- especially. That BOOM you hear is the sound of my jaw hitting the floor.

Hugs and best wishes for complete healing for your sweet Bea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

And I would expect the boarder to pay the vet bills. Get a lawyer if you need to.

Can't believe a conscientious animal person -1- wouldn't follow your instructions, and -2- wouldn't get care immediately for an injured dog. -2- especially. That BOOM you hear is the sound of my jaw hitting the floor.

DITTO, Batmom!

It make no difference how it happened, or what dog did what to who, the boarding kennel is responsible for the care of the dog,( i think that is what you are paying them for, right) I would get documentation from the e-vet and submit it to the kennel and write a letter to go along with it expressing your displeasure with them, just me here, I feel if I pay someone for a service I expect that service, your poor pup, hope she is O.K.

Guest mickie37

I am sorry that you had such a horrific mess to come home to. Prayers being said for Bea to have an uneventful recovery. I would submit all the bills to the boarding facility. angryfire.gif

Mickie

Contact the kennel. Tell them what the e-vet said and tell them that although you signed a form, their negligence and handling of the situation was inexcusable and you will be expecting them to refund your boarding AND to pay the vet bills. If they refuse, contact an attorney and also see if any of your local news stations will investigate the boarding kennel. I would also be sure to tell the kennel that you will not be letting this go.

Bea will be in my thoughts.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

:angryfire That kennel needs to pay. Time to get all Mean Momma Bear on them. This is why I have such a hard time trusting my dogs with anyone else and will never use a kennel unless in an emergency situation.

I hope your little girl feels better soon.

------

Jessica

Guest LeanneSchatz
Poor Bea. Hope she is feeling better soon.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the well wishes. We are going to work on pursuing this. I will update how Bea is after work. She is crated today so she can rest and not have to move much.

Hugs!

Agree with Batmom.........The worst part also is the outright audacity of someone who clearly was in the wrong to turn it around to make something out to be your fault! I used to allow these types of people to win but now it's fighting words! Make them pay and take responsibility.

You need to get out the form you signed - you should have a copy - and read it over very carefully. Sounds like their phone calls and emails were a post-event attempt to shift the blame from them to YOU or Bea. I would DEFINITELY do what retiredracers above said:

""""Contact the kennel. Tell them what the e-vet said and tell them that although you signed a form, their negligence and handling of the situation was inexcusable and you will be expecting them to refund your boarding AND to pay the vet bills. If they refuse, contact an attorney and also see if any of your local news stations will investigate the boarding kennel. I would also be sure to tell the kennel that you will not be letting this go.""""

Make sure you get copies of all vet reports from last night, and ask the evet to write up a formal report as well.

I would also shout what happened from the rooftops! This is entirely unacceptable.

I'm so sorry poor Bea is having to go through this. Hugs and gentle kisses to everyone.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with everyone else - unbelievable, unacceptable & unconscionable. :angryfire

I hope Bea is feeling better soon - she sounds like a sweet soul. And some hugs for Sizzle too - I'm sure she was stressed out as well. :grouphug

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest TheUnrulyHound

How horrible!!! I really hope that Bea recovers quickly, poor sweetie... Hopefully you can get the kennel owner to see the light and she will pay for the bills, that is unacceptable. Especially since they were supposed to be seperate. You PAID for them to be seperate right? Usually they charge more for the two runs.

Guest Hoolyghans

Just because/if you signed a liability waiver, that doesn't magically release the business from liability!

It's standard to use those forms in hopes of making people think they can't pursue legal action when something goes wrong but it's not an automatic out.

Dogs are dogs and sometimes things happen but they should have followed your instructions to keep them in separate runs and notified you immediately of the injuries!

I'd be on the kennel like a wet shirt. Signing a liability form does not release them from negligence. If your dog was injured in their care, then they are responsible for tending to the injuries, regardless.

Write them a letter. Have documentation from the E-vet stating that the injuries were older than they claim. Send them a copy of your E-vet bill and request payment, plus a refund of your boarding fee. That is the LEAST they can do for the damage they've done.

Definitely consult with a lawyer on this.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.