Please Help

Guest Latch

Hi,

I told my greyhound to lay down and I went to get his food. When I came back with the food bowl, he was standing in the doorway. His body sort of convulsing, he looked a litle hunched over, whined once, then he gagged, and went and layed down in his bed. He continued convulsing for a little under 5 minutes, then he got up, acted normal and excited and was looking for his food. I took him outside on a leash to walk around a little and see how he acted. He pooped and we came back inside - still acting normal. I don't know what that was but it scared the crap outta me! Can he have bloat and be acting normal now?? Im scared to leave him alone now. We just moved here and dont have a vet yet - I tried a few e-vet numbers and most said if you're not an established client they wont see you!! :angryfire

Can anyone help? Im watching him, but he's just laying in his bed now acting normal. Im scared it's going to start up again and I wont have anywhere to take him! :(

Guest Energy11

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

He are some of the symptoms of bloat. I am not sure what you dog was doing.

MIGHT HAVE BEEN A SEIZURE. If he does it again, you will need to find a vet to take him to. It is a hard call without seeing him.

A LOT OF VETS have emergency numbers you can call, and they will come in for emergencies. That is how it works here.

Good Luck and just keep a close eye on your baby

Hi,

I told my greyhound to lay down and I went to get his food. When I came back with the food bowl, he was standing in the doorway. His body sort of convulsing, he looked a litle hunched over, whined once, then he gagged, and went and layed down in his bed. He continued convulsing for a little under 5 minutes, then he got up, acted normal and excited and was looking for his food. I took him outside on a leash to walk around a little and see how he acted. He pooped and we came back inside - still acting normal. I don't know what that was but it scared the crap outta me! Can he have bloat and be acting normal now?? Im scared to leave him alone now. We just moved here and dont have a vet yet - I tried a few e-vet numbers and most said if you're not an established client they wont see you!! :angryfire

Can anyone help? Im watching him, but he's just laying in his bed now acting normal. Im scared it's going to start up again and I wont have anywhere to take him! :(

I used to live in Florida. Where in the state do you live? I might know of an E vet in your area.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
Hi,

MOST VETS WILL SEE EMERGENCIES, even if you are not a client... OR, there are regional 24 hour Evets in the area.

More experienced people will give you better advice than me... but if he pooped that's a good sign. It's possible that he had a bad stomach ache and felt better after relieving himself. I would be very concerned about the convulsions though. Can you describe them in more detail? It sounds a bit like it might have been some kind of seizure rather than bloat.

I tried a few e-vet numbers and most said if you're not an established client they wont see you!! :angryfire

What an utter disgrace! I can't believe this! :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

I hope your dog is alright. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck:candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Thanks! When I say he was convulsing, that's what it looked like - kind of like a tightening up and then release, tighten and release. It's hard to describe, but he had this real worried look on his face and his body was twitching. I just dont know what happened from the two seconds it took me to go to the other room and get his food to when I came back and this was happening. I live in Panama City, FL and I called the E-vet line and they said they were in Niceville...I asked the guy if he knew of one in Panama City and he said he was told that if you werent an established client they wouldnt see you!

Guest trevdog

That doesn't sound like bloat, maybe seizures? Could he have gotten into anything? Where are you in FL? If near Tampa there's some decent emergency vets around.

Guest Energy11
Thanks! When I say he was convulsing, that's what it looked like - kind of like a tightening up and then release, tighten and release. It's hard to describe, but he had this real worried look on his face and his body was twitching. I just dont know what happened from the two seconds it took me to go to the other room and get his food to when I came back and this was happening. I live in Panama City, FL and I called the E-vet line and they said they were in Niceville...I asked the guy if he knew of one in Panama City and he said he was told that if you werent an established client they wouldnt see you!

Seizures of unknown origin (those that come out of no place) are NOT to be messed with. If I were you, I would find the nearest Emergency vet. In Panama City, there HAS to be one someplace. I would make the trip, because if your dog starts a seizure, and it continues, it is NOT good.

Does he have bad gas? Could it be gas cramps from new food, water, etc?

LynnM and OnRushPam are in the Tallahassee area. They might know some contacts in your area, even though they are a ways away.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

That doesn't sound like bloat, maybe seizures? Could he have gotten into anything? Where are you in FL? If near Tampa there's some decent emergency vets around.

Im in Panama City, which is a small town so Im afraid I wont be able to find one if this happens again. I plan on making a vet appt. this week for him to get a regular vet, but until then Im scared I wont be able to get ahold of anyone. What causes seizures?

Guest Energy11

Im in Panama City, which is a small town so Im afraid I wont be able to find one if this happens again. I plan on making a vet appt. this week for him to get a regular vet, but until then Im scared I wont be able to get ahold of anyone. What causes seizures?

Anything from a brain tumor, to dehydration, to electrolyte imbalance, to cancer, ... just about anything. ... exposure to pesticides, ... you name it!

Just look at a seizure like a short circut in the brain. All the "electrical wiring" is going haywire in there.

If your dog IS a seizure dog, and he is diagnosed as one, there are LOTS of good medications out there to control seizures. Good Luck, and keep an eye on your baby.

Anything from a brain tumor, to dehydration, to electrolyte imbalance, to cancer, ... just about anything. ... exposure to pesticides, ... you name it!

Just look at a seizure like a short circut in the brain. All the "electrical wiring" is going haywire in there.

If your dog IS a seizure dog, and he is diagnosed as one, there are LOTS of good medications out there to control seizures. Good Luck, and keep an eye on your baby.

:cry1 He's acting normal now, walking around, sniffing stuff and begging for food as normal...Im so worried though. How will the vet tell what the seizure is from? Will he likely have more seizres tonight or are they isolated incidents? Any advice is appreciated. I am working on finding a good e-vet number as we speak. Thank you for any help you can offer!!

It sounds like heaving, you know when they are trying to throw up. At least that's what mine do. Do you think it could have been that?

Guest sheila

I dunno, sounds to me it could be an isolated incident and no cause for concern. Many dogs will puke up a little bile when their tummys are empty. Since it was near his dinner time it could have been just a bit of 'empty tummy syndrome' even though he didn't actually puke.

I would just take a wait and see approach for the rest of the wkend. You might make a diary of everything that happens such as what he eats and when he eats and any other activities just in case it is a seizure. However my bet is that if you just give him a cpl of cookies between regular feedings that will cure what ailed him tonight.

Do make an appt with a vet this week to have a well dog check and have a file started in case of a real emergency though.

Guest Energy11

:cry1 He's acting normal now, walking around, sniffing stuff and begging for food as normal...Im so worried though. How will the vet tell what the seizure is from? Will he likely have more seizres tonight or are they isolated incidents? Any advice is appreciated. I am working on finding a good e-vet number as we speak. Thank you for any help you can offer!!

The vet will take a history on the dog. He/she will do full bloodwork, to make sure everything is okay, and go from there. Will he have other seizures tonight? Hard to say ... again, depends IF it WAS a seizure, which it does sound like, and WHAT is causing them. Has he been exposed to anything different today? New flea spray, vaccines, did you have your yard treated, ?????

I can't tell you from here, what it is, or what is causing it ... wish I could! :-( IF the dog is seizing, and it continues, one after another, )Grand Mal Seizures, this is life-threaetning. HOPEFULLY, this is just an isolated incident, which you can report to your vet on Monday. So far, so good. I hope this is the way it stays for you till you see you vet . JUST REMEMBER, to record all the "weird incidents" that have/will happen, so you can relate it to the vets. Good Luck!

http://www.essortment.com/all/seizuresdogsca_rfmm.htm

This MIGHT HELP you understand what seizures are and why they occur. RELAX, and maybe this was just an isolated incident. Yes, the dog does need to be seen, just to see what, if anything, is going on.

Guest SoulsMom

Soul was doing the exact same thing a month or so ago (the weird 'convulsing'). He was also excessively panting, panicked, trying to hurl unsuccessfully and tried to eat the rug. My vet and I both thought bloat so I rushed him there for Xrays. Once they got him on his back he released a bunch of gas and the Xrays showed he was A-ok. He got an anti nausea shot and a Pecid later that night and was feeling much better. I now refer to the incident as his $300 fart bill.

If you pup isn't trying to hurl or acting uncomfortable, pacing, etc. I wouldn't be too overly worried at this point. Just keep an eye on him in case the symptoms return

It sounds to me like he was heaving also, trying to vomit. He was probably really hungry. If it's been a while between meals, some pups will gag and produce bile. I have a couple who do this if they're really hungry.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sounds like heaving to me, too. Either hungry / acid tummy or a piece of grass stuck down his throat. I'd keep an eye out for repeat incidents but suspect he's just fine.

Best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you all! I was reading the description of seizures and it doesn't seem like what he was doing because he was aware of me and his surroundings and he stayed standing the whole time until he walked over to his bed and layed down. Seems ok now :goodluck , but we WILL be going to the vet this week!!

:wubsite

Doesn't sound like a seizure nor bloat.

Get yourself set up with a vet and find out who to use for an emergency vet from them.

And if you need an evet before then, just show up at your closest evet.

If he's fine now, I wouldn't worry much about it.

When you need an e-vet after hours, start dialing the numbers of regular vets located near you. Many of them will have recordings that say, "If this is an emergency, contact..." and give an e-vet's name and number.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It sounds to me like he was heaving also, trying to vomit. He was probably really hungry. If it's been a while between meals, some pups will gag and produce bile. I have a couple who do this if they're really hungry.

Have to agree with Judy and the rest, it sounds like plain old heaving to me too. All three of mine are actually goats disguised as hounds. The occasional heaving and barfing up bile is not unusual. A light snack or not and they are back to normal in a few minutes. Does not sound at all like seizures.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I did not read through all the replies. But I want to say, if you have a dog with a life-threatening problem, just show up, and DEMAND treatment! if they turn you away at that point, well, put it this way, I would get UGLY on them. I mean UGLY.

I won't hijack, but I have a little experience with a situation like this. The injury my dog had was not life-threatening, and it was during normal office hours. I showed up at the nearest vet clinic, where I was not a client, and they treated me like crap. I can give you more details, but like I said, I do not want to hijack. Put it this way, they are lucky I was in a hurry to get out of there, or they'd have had to deal with me being really nasty!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.