Rickie's Lump Is A Hemangioma

The "black bump" on Rickie's chest was removed via punch biopsy on Monday and the path report came back today - it's a hemangioma. Benign but according to my vet, best removed with margins in order to avoid local regrowth and associated issues. We see the vet for stitch removal on the 28th and will discuss then in more detail.

The biopsy procedure did not take margins. Vet is recommending about 2cm margins, which is the better part of an inch.

While I am very relieved it's nothing worse, I feel so bad about Rickie having another surgery. He's 11 and has been through a lot in the last couple of years.

My question to those of you whose hounds have had one or more hemangiomas is - what did you do? I am particularly interested in what happened if you elected not to have it removed, or, as is the case with Rickie, had it removed but didn't get clean margins.

I recognize that every case is different, but your collective experience will be helpful in deciding what to do next.

Mary, Wayne's was a plasmacytoma and the lab said 2cm margins as well, which was done. His was benign as well, but had I elected not to have it removed, it would have grown and become uncomfortable.

As for going under twice, I know how scary that is but probably best to have it done.

My boy Tanner was 11 and had to go under twice in 2 months and bleeding was a scary thing as he had VW, and he also had a hard time coming out from anesthesia but he came through like a champ. But I was a wreck.

You'll make the right decision for Rickie!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

We have to watch Peanut for more hemangioas. My vet isn't concerned about them but had 2 cautions.

If left they have a chance to become the nastier type hemangiocarcomas.

If scratched etc they can bleed as they have their own blood vessels.

I'm torn Mary. I'd be tempted to watch and see what happens with it. Is it below the dermis?

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Is it below the dermis?

I don't know - I'll ask when I'm in next Friday. It certainly wasn't attached to anything, i.e., was in the skin, but I don't know how many skin layers it penetrated.

Edited to ask - is the significance of the question related to the likelihood of it re-growing / turning into something worse?

Edited by Rickiesmom

Is it below the dermis?

I don't know - I'll ask when I'm in next Friday. It certainly wasn't attached to anything, i.e., was in the skin, but I don't know how many skin layers it penetrated.

Edited to ask - is the significance of the question related to the likelihood of it re-growing / turning into something worse?

On the skin is better than under. The on ones grow outward and the in ones can grow inward. I think mostly it is easier to remove the on rather than the..........you get the picture.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Wink had one removed several years ago on her belly area. She got so loopy from the pre anesthesia that she didn't need to be put fully under. They removed the mass and took extra to get the margins. Fingers crossed it has not returned although we were told it was a possibility. I hope you have as good a result as we did.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest barkdogs

My first hound Trish (the Dish) had cutaneous hemangiosarcomas. She had several removed--the last one under a local, as she was getting up there in age and she was such a chill girl.

Gus had a hemangiosarcoma removed from his chest the day after we got back from Sandy Paws. Mario gave him a short dose of propofol, he was out for about 15 minutes, just long enough to do a wide margined excisional biopsy, 6 sutures and about 20 minutes on the big thick comforter on the floor with me to wake up. I am lucky enough to have a vet who discusses these things with me and listens to my input. I will always opt for curative on the first round for cutaneous lesions and not have to put them through a second. In and out the door in 1 hour. I'm not a big fan of punch biopsies when you can do an excisional/wide margins and do it all at once.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest RooRoo

Awww Mary, I'm sorry that sweet Rickie needs another procedure. I just can't believe it. He has been through so much :( I'm sure GTers will be continue to share their experiences to help guide you and we're all here to support you and Rickie. I'll be checking in here regularly. Hang in there!

Thinking of you :grouphug

Maria

Rizzo and Kiwi

(:kiss2 from Rizzo to his friend)

Our first whippet had dermal hemangiosarcomas that we removed every few months and he was probably 7-8 years old at the time. I hated doing so many surgeries on him but he did recover from them fairly quickly. Is using a laser an option in removing it? From what my vet tells me, that seems to speed up recovery time.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Sorry to hear this, but the prognosis for dermal hemangiosarcoma is pretty good. :) I'd opt for another surgery just to get clean margins, but they will probably want to do full anesthesia for that.

I found this site useful in explaining the differences among the types of hemangiosarcoma and treatment options. [caninecancerawareness Click on hemangiosarcoma.

Edit to try to fix link.

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest mickie37

I am sure you will make the right decision for Rickie. My German Shepherd had a hemangioma removed and the margins were not clear so she had a second surgery and lived happily for 6 more years without a recurrence.

Mickie

Guest garysgreys

Paige had hemangiosarcoma removed from her right butt cheek with margins, she was never completely under and in and out in about an hour.

We had ultrasounds and x-rays done of her entire body just to be sure that it wasn't anywhere else, that was four years ago and she's been fine ever since. I'm sure You'll make the right decision. Good luck.