Back Seat "hammocks"

Guest greytbuds

Guest greytbuds

I need advice from all of you experts again. I'm looking into one of those back seat "hammocks" for traveling with a grey that does not like to ride. He stands constantly and goes from window to window the whole time. I've done lots of checking and would like to hear what has worked for you guys.

Most of the options seem to be "one size fits all" -- I'm wondering if that works well or depending on the car could it be a problem with the dog getting "caught" if the hammock does not fit completely across the seat. Do the "adjustable" straps really make lots of difference in getting it to fit? Do your dogs like the fleece padded ones or are you using the canvas type single-layer waterproof fabric? Does it prevent or deter lots of moving around?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Greytbuds

Guest Destiny

I'll be watching this thread. I did get an EXTEND-A-SEAT for my back seat and would like to get a hammock to go over it, because the seat thingy is blue and my interior is a gray color and I want a gray hammock.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Dumb question, do you open the window so your hound can put his head out the window? That may actually help so he doesnt run from side to side. Just a thought.

:lol I too would like to hear about this, as I have a SUV, I use a fleece full size bed when we travel a distance, but with a short junt, or with the whole pack, the grey along with the rest like to put his nose out the windows, I look like I'm driving an old time circus wagon, with all the animal heads out 3 windows

I have a Toyota Prius and one grey. I bought a painters canvas tarp at Lowes and four spring clamps. I attach it to the posts of the headrests on the front and back seats. It does keep her from falling down onto the car floor. It also blocks the gap between the front seats. And it's easy to wash when it gets dirty.

She does fine on the back seat. Sometimes she lies down, other times she sits up and looks out the window.

The tarps come in different sizes. I'm sure you could find one for any size car. You could also put a blanket or something else under the tarp for extra padding and to protect the seat.

I've thought about buying some dense foam and cutting it fit in the foot space. Just haven't got around to it yet.

Bill

Edited by BillF

I bought a hammock but I don't like it. It just doesn't fit right. We have a Subaru Forester, and it seems that not enough of the material actually touches the seat - not very comfortable. It would work better in a vehicle with a smaller back seat IMHO.

Image removed. Not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 17.51 KB (17,929 bytes) file size.

Guest KennelMom

For our Prius, I ordered one from petedge. Took about 10 minutes to put it up the first time, but now I can get it all set up in just a couple minutes. We don't use it a lot b/c the minivan is our dog van...but I've taken hounds in the Prius to the vet or on the 4 hour trip to my parent's house. The footing isn't great, so an extendaseat might work well...or something to fill the foot wells...but as infrequently as we use the Prius to cart hounds, I'm not going to bother. This one works great. It's a really thick canvas with some sort of waterproofish material on the back. It's certainly water resistant enough and thick enough to for what it is. Peanut even nested in it a bit and you can't tell.

It does come in black, but the pink was on clearance for, like, $10 or so.

3678414441_4f4e48a2e4_o.jpg

Greyhound approved:

3678414471_021052e7ab_o.jpg

Backseat driver

3678414527_b8554d4f6f_o.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

We bought a hammock from Drs. Foster & Smith for our Toyota Corolla. I wanted it to keep Sherri from falling off

the back sear and getting stuck on the floor. It happened once before the hammock. I bought the canvas one and

put a comforter over it. Most of the time she lays down or sit with her head against the seat. Once in a while she

stands to see what's going on. We're happy with it.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I don't know that a hammock will help with a nervous passenger. Have you tried desensitization? Meaning have you just plunked him/her in the car without going anywhere just to get the pup adjusted to the concept of getting settled in the new environment of the car?

The best hammock I've seen is the Drs Foster and Smith one. It fits almost all vehicles and seems to be pretty sturdy. Thing is I don't think that will do much with a nervous passenger.

Just to give you an idea, I have a car sick hound. We did a lot of work with her in one vehicle. She can ride in that one place in that one vehicle with no problems. As recently as yesterday we tried getting her to go willingly into our other car and she made it clear this car was outside her comfort zone and switching cars on her was a no go. She's been with us for three years...

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

i have this one. it works reasonably well in my civic. the straps don't adjust as much as i'd like to cover the seat a bit better at the top and sides, but i still love it. it keeps my guy from falling in the seat well or tumbling into my lap. the fabric is a bit noisy, so i may upgrade to a quilted on in the future. nuri is able to lay down and stay reasonably comfortable. i love that i can just unhook it quickly to allow people in the back, but it doesn't look too terrible to leave it up the rest of the time.

Guest greytbuds

Thanks so much for this information you guys!! It has been very helpful.

The pup is new so I'm very hopeful that the nervousness will subside, but in the meantime when he has to ride in the car I would rather protect and keep him as comfortable as I can.

Thanks again -- I can always count on this group for great advice!

Greytbuds.

I had to get something for the back seat of my car for Minty.. for one..she was a nervous wreck.. and when I tried covering the floor area with cushions to make it even with the back seat she still got her leg down in there and got all panicky. And though I tried covering it all with quilt.. it would slip and slide; making her even more nervous..AND.. :angry: the dings in the leather from her nails..well...they didn't make me happy!

So, I found this http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/DUFFLE1 (found mine at local pet supply shop) and it works great. The pad inside is removable.. (both for washing and to use as a travel bed).. and the zip up sides help to keep toes; tail, away from the door.. plus any beloved stuffies traveling with us. :unsure The whole thing is washable..it has a front mesh pocket that I can reach easily from the front seat that I keep a water bottle and a travel bowl and "whatever" in. I've been using it for years and she loves it. (so do I). I only bring the windows down about 2 or three inches.. (don't like her sticking her head out) but she seems most comfortable in it.

Linda & Minty

I bought the extend-a-seat after my hammock strap broke (I had to slam on the brakes to avoid another car and Flint slid off the seat and the hammock couldn't support his weight.) I cover it with a cargo cover -- like a seat cover only longer so it also covers the extend-a-seat. Then there's the soft fluffy blanket on top of the cargo cover and Flint now wears a harness and seat belt in the car.

Guest greytbuds

Flint's Mom -- this is what I keep picturing in my head. The hammock just doesn't look stable enough if your dog moves around a lot OR if he gets moved by mistake. Can I ask those of you using the seat extender -- does it have something under the part that extends out from the seat (that would fit in the floor space) or is the only "support" that it hangs from the back of the front seats? (Hope that makes sense??)

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Greytbuds

I was at Tuesday Morning today and they had the hammocks for $7.00. I don't use them, so I don't know how good this one is, but could be a trial one to see if you like it.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

I'll be watching this thread. I did get an EXTEND-A-SEAT for my back seat and would like to get a hammock to go over it, because the seat thingy is blue and my interior is a gray color and I want a gray hammock.

I have both but use the Extend-a-Seat in one car & the hammock in the other. If we go on long trips in the larger car I move the Extend-a-Seat over to it. That combo works quite well except for one problem. The hammock blocks most of the ventilation going to the back seat. So until I find a hammock with a mesh section for the area between the two front seats I am not going to bother with a hammock for my main car, the smaller of the two.

The Extend-a-Seat was my first choice because I was concerned the senior I was adopting would not do well if he stepped onto a part of the hammock that was not supported by the back seat. Am glad I did. For one dog in a back seat I think the hammock alone is great. For two dogs in a back seat, unless they are really accustomed to the hammock they can easily lose their balance. This makes me wonder if it may also be a problem for a dog who is uncomfortable in the car & paces. May depend on what about car travel disturbs him.

As to the question of size, we have a really cheap hammock from PetEdge It fits both the large (think land yacht) & the small car (1st Gen Prius) so I think there is a lot of leeway in the sizes.

ETA: Forgot to mention that I did look for the hammock in my price range with the largest dimensions. Also, look for one that is both waterproof & machine washable. Some are either one or the other but not both.

Edited by kudzu

Hi Maryz, glad to see that Sherri is enjoying her rides, she is such a beautiful little girl.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Yes, Sherri loves the car. She does her little happy dance whenever we mention "going in the car for a ride".

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest spider9174

I got a seat extension and then put a hammock over it. It makes it a little more stable when the pus get up and move around. It also allows for 2 large males in the back seat at the same time.

I got this hammock (it's reversible and is water proof)

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/2590

I got this seat extender:

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/KJ-00675

Guest Destiny
Flint's Mom -- this is what I keep picturing in my head. The hammock just doesn't look stable enough if your dog moves around a lot OR if he gets moved by mistake. Can I ask those of you using the seat extender -- does it have something under the part that extends out from the seat (that would fit in the floor space) or is the only "support" that it hangs from the back of the front seats? (Hope that makes sense??)

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Greytbuds

My extend-a-seat doesn't overlap as much as in the picture, my front seats are probably further up, and it supports my 90 pound Lab just fine. I tested it by feeding him treats from the front seat and he standing on the extender, no problems.

I was at Tuesday Morning today and they had the hammocks for $7.00. I don't use them, so I don't know how good this one is, but could be a trial one to see if you like it.

Sorry it was The Christmas Tree Shoppe where I say the hammock

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

• 3 weeks later...
Guest burgerandfrey

We just got a hammock that is working out really well. Our previous greyhound would lie quietly in the backseat for road trips, so we just used a washable seat cover to keep the upholstery clean. Our new hound likes to move around and look out the windows. He has already gotten himself stuck between the back seat and the backs of the front seats, so we figured a hammock would be the best solution.

We went with the Deluxe Full Size Quilted Hammock from Dr. Foster & Smith:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=11123

So far it is working out very well. It fits just fine in the back seat of our Subaru Forester, and it is strong enough for our boy to walk on. The quilted part is soft enough to keep the seat belt buckles from bothering him, and it is machine-washable. The bottom seems to be fairly water-resistant, so I don't think wet or muddy paws are going to seep through to the upholstery. The best thing is that it seems much safer for the dog than a simple seat cover, and it stays in place better. In the past we have used sheets that we tuck around the seat, as well as seat covers made to fit over the seat that are secured by the headrests. Either way the seat cover always seemed to come off one side or the other. The hammock is secured to both the back seat and front seat headrests, so it stays in place.

We are adopting a second greyhound this weekend. We could put the backseat down and let both of them ride in the back, but until they get to know each other I think we will put the new dog into the way back and our current dog in the back seat.

I have an Extend a Seat and love it...but...Carl broke one of the squares. I think what happened was that the driver's seat was moved up a little further than it should have been, I didn't notice it and his weight cracked whatever the solid piece is inside of the padded square...either that or I had to stop really fast and his weight shifted and it broke. Fortunately, the straps held him up so he didn't fall through. I've been wondering if I could open it up and slip something else inside that would be less likely to break. Either that or I need to bite the bullet and buy a new one. <sigh> I found it for something like $13, can't find that price again!

Kennelmom, I really like that hammock in your Prius, that's my houndmobile. Now that I've got two, I put the back seat down to give them more space.

Edited to add that I just emailed Kyjen and asked them if there was a way to repair (or maybe they will replace) Carl & Claire's extend a seat.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• 1 year later...