Help! Peggy Was Stung By A Bee!

Guest peggy

Guest peggy

Peggy just came back from a walk with a limp. My boyfriend said that she had been stung by a bee. This has never happened before and I have no idea what to do to help her. I called the vet and they only suggested trying to find the sting (unsuccessful, she's a dark brindle!) and perhaps ice the spot. They said to keep an eye on her if her breathing becomes labored, or if her face swells. Any other suggestions from the group?

For those who might suggest Benadryl, what amount should I give Pegs? Shes nearly seven and is 64 lbs. I know that Benadryl knocks me on my butt, I would like to give her the smallest amount necessary. Thanks!

Thanks!

Courtney and Peggy

Edited by peggy

Guest Flysmom

I am not an expert, but what about Epscomsalt soaks for the paw and Benadryl for any allergic reaction she might have. I AM SURE folks who know more will give you all the advice you need!

I give benadryl anyway, don't wait for a reaction. To find the site of the sting, see if there is a spot she is interested in. Most hounds want to lick the spot. Or use the palm of your hand and slowly go over her leg from the shoulder down. The sting spot most likely will be warmer than the rest of her body. Baking soda paste will give some relief it is bothering her, just don't let her lick it.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest peggy
I am not an expert, but what about Epscomsalt soaks for the paw and Benadryl for any allergic reaction she might have. I AM SURE folks who know more will give you all the advice you need!

Thanks!

Any idea what dose of Benadryl is appropriate for a 64 lb. almost 7 year old greyhound?

Holly got stung by a bee right on her toe and it must have really hurt because she was practically lame for a couple of hours. I was surprised at how much it seemed to hurt her. Anyway, we gave her a benedryl and after a couple hours she seemed fine.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Energy11

TWO benedryl, every four hours, just to be in the safe side! IF HER FACE/TONGUE OR LIPS SWELL, it COULD EFFECT her airway... be careful and hopefully, she will be fine.

IF you have the facial, lips, tongue swelling, EVEN WITH THE BENEDRYL, you MIGHT need to see the vet .. Good Luck@

Guest Flysmom

Thanks!

Any idea what dose of Benadryl is appropriate for a 64 lb. almost 7 year old greyhound?

Courtney,

I have honestly no idea! Sorry!!! Hopefully somebody who knows will post soon!!! Could you call the vet back and ask them? Or google it?

Just found this on Google:

It's a very safe med. My vet and others I've asked about this specifically say you should administer up to 1mg/lb every 8 hours (or 3 times a day -- tid). So if you have a 20 lb. dog, it's 20 mg of diphenhydramine. This is higher than the equivalent dose for humans, but nevertheless seems to be the accepted dose for dogs.

Edited by Flysmom

You might be able to feel where the sting is by running the flat of your hands over her skin, but the chances are that all of the venom will have been pumped into her long ago. You really need to get them out ASAP if you're going to help much. The way to do that, for future reference, is to put a fingernail over them, close to the skin, and give a sharp dig/flick and hook them out in one single firm movement. You need to put firm pressure into it.

We use Piriton, and were told by our vet we could buy the human sort and give one tablet. They contain 4 mg of chlorphenamine maleate. Can't say for sure about Benedryl, but I imagine that the same would apply. One tab per dog, not worrying too much about weight and age. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

just a note of caution on the benedryl - make sure that you don't use ones that have other stuff in them -- maybe someone on the thread can clarify which ones you shouldn't use

Do not EVER use the "Allergy Sinus" formula. Just the regular Benadryl (pink pills).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11
just a note of caution on the benedryl - make sure that you don't use ones that have other stuff in them -- maybe someone on the thread can clarify which ones you shouldn't use

Do not EVER use the "Allergy Sinus" formula. Just the regular Benadryl (pink pills).

YES!!!!!!!!! Good Point! Just REGULAR BENEDRYL, NEVER THE ALLERGY SINUS ...

Guest BatesieGreys

The dosage in general (so that you know) is one benadryl (the regular pink kind only) per 25 pounds of body weight. For a 64 pound pup, two is good. Hope everything is okay.

Guest sidewaysfallin

Sophie got stung by a wasp today as well. Vet said to give her benedryl (50mg) every 6 hours as well as baby asprin for the pain.

Guest Dillymom

Lola got stung a while back- I gave benadryl and iced the area. There was an obvious inflammed area so I out a towel down and layed an ice pack on her to help with the localized swelling.

Hope she's feeling better

Guest TexasGreytMom

Whenever we suspect our girls have been bitten or stung by an insect that could cause a reaction, we immediately give them one little pink Benadryl and then watch for swelling. Hope your girl is feeling better!