Peace

Guest wjamg

Guest wjamg

Just wanted to post to warn other owners that Tramadol can cause some issues in greys. Peace was very anxious and restless while on that painkiller. Here I was dosing her to make her feel better and causing a reaction. Now that she is totally off Tramadol, she is doing so much better. She is able to relax and it seems she is healing good now. She actually roached today for the first time since surgery last Tuesday.

Good to hear your girl is doing better. Just so you know, Tramadol can cause restlessness in any breed of dog, not just GH's and it is remember, a human drug and can cause the same in humans as well.

Like every drug, some do great on it, some don't and all drugs have their side effects

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest KennelMom

Tramadol is generally well tolerated in greys, though any dog can have a bad reaction to any drug. Just like in people. It's one reason there's so many varieties of pain killers developed...what works for one, may not work for another. I'm allergic to most pain killers...even tramadol makes me itch.

It's always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the side effects of drugs prescribed for your pet and ask questions before you leave the vet to make sure you understand what to look for and when to discontinue a med or seek additional vet care.

I'm glad your pups is doing well! Tramadol is one of the drugs we keep on hand here at all times...we've never had a bad reaction from it, but that's not to say we never will. Generally, giving tramadol will make a dog feel better/have less pain, so you were doing what any other pet owner would have done.

Edited by KennelMom

Joseph had a problem with it too.

I'm glad your girl is doing better -- can imagine how relieved you feel.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greymama002

So glad to hear that Peace is doing so well! :kiss2 to the sweet girl!

So glad to hear that Peace is doing so well! :kiss2 to the sweet girl!

I'm happy to hear that Peace is doing better.

Jake does well on tramadol, but not in conjunction with other drugs.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge didn't do well on it...but he did fine with deramaxx and previcox...so we continued with those. I'll keep the tramadol on hand though...in case it works for one of my others greys. I hope Peace continues to feel better!

Minerva's been acting a bit goofy on the tramadol, but it's tough to say precisely what's up with her. She's also on Valium (2.5 mg three times a day); we're not muzzling her when we're gone, but that's going to have to change. The past two times we've come home, there have been orchid flasks on the living room floor. These are sterile plant tissue cultures that are on wire rack shelves; a few of them are in plastic baggies, and she seems to pick them up and move them- off the rack and into the living room. They're undamaged, but I need to figure out where they go back.

And then we came home to find she'd counter-surfed a piece of glassware off the kitchen counter and broke it. *sighs* Back to muzzling her, I suppose!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest ss556

Glad Peace is doing better. It made Alan restless and he would pant. When forced, I could only give him 1/2 tab. - 1 at most, compared to what other greys his size got, that was nothing.

Exactly what KennelMom said; there is no issue with Tramadol and Greyhounds. Some dogs (any breed) don't tolerate it well, but it's generally a very safe pain reliever for both people and dogs!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest wjamg
Just wanted to post to warn other owners that Tramadol can cause some issues in greys. Peace was very anxious and restless while on that painkiller. Here I was dosing her to make her feel better and causing a reaction. Now that she is totally off Tramadol, she is doing so much better. She is able to relax and it seems she is healing good now. She actually roached today for the first time since surgery last Tuesday.

I didn't mean to imply all greys could have issues. Our last dog had cancer and kidney disease Tramadol was a great comfort for her so I never thought Peace's restlessness and pacing could be drug related. I am the drug is good for most greys but for those that suffer effects from it, they can be pretty uncomfortable

Guest Heehoo
Good to hear your girl is doing better. Just so you know, Tramadol can cause restlessness in any breed of dog, not just GH's and it is remember, a human drug and can cause the same in humans as well.

Like every drug, some do great on it, some don't and all drugs have their side effects

Ya know, when I gave it to Gogh (osteo) he would go to sleep in minutes. I took it for a pulled muscle, I might as well have been taking M & M's...it didn't even phase me. Yet I have a friend who takes it for her fibromyalgia & it does wonders. Billy Mays was taking it for his hip.

I read up on it before I started giving it to Gogh since I had only used Rimadyl. Thank goodness for the internet.

Ya know, when I gave it to Gogh (osteo) he would go to sleep in minutes. I took it for a pulled muscle, I might as well have been taking M & M's...it didn't even phase me. Yet I have a friend who takes it for her fibromyalgia & it does wonders. Billy Mays was taking it for his hip.

I read up on it before I started giving it to Gogh since I had only used Rimadyl. Thank goodness for the internet.

It's a really great pain reliever, however, when you need an anti inflammatory, it's best to use one vs just a pain killer

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have heard it causes restlessness and distress in some dogs, and having taken it myself (with good effect) I wonder if it's due to a rare side-effect that causes hallucinations?

Apparently aural (noise) hallucinations are the most common thing to get with Tramadol, if you're going to have any, and I went to sleep several nights with people singing or talking into my right ear. Always the right, never the left. I answered them once or twice. :lol Weird.

I suppose it could be disturbing to a nervous dog, depending on what it was they 'heard' ... if dogs even get the same side effects as us! :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest ProudGreyMom

Glad that Peace if doing better!

Jake is on Tramadol and Metacam and he is more relaxed than usual. He isn't sensitive to very much.