Vet Vs. Vet

Guest Dragonmom

Guest Dragonmom

so yesterday when i took Bella to the vet i was told some sort of payment would be required but not a full one as i was a new client. i understood that and off we went to the vets. hours later when i went to pick her up i was told the vet looked at her but wouldn't offer any treatment with out full payment. So off Bella and i went home.

Today we stopped into the same vets with the new boy, Ace to see how much a neuter would be. $150.00 plus tax......sounds pretty reasonable to me. There is another vet not that much more down the road and we stopped in there to see how much it would cost, 109.00 plus tax...woohoo even better.

The vet went to go pet Bella on the head and i told him about that happened and the trip to the vet yesterday. He asked to see her ear and told me she needed antibotics for it. He gave us meds for her and cream to put on her ear as well. He told he to wash it off with prioxide. i explained i didn't have any money on me and he said it was ok, and wrote it up on credit. $22.00 for the meds and cream and no vet visit fee.

it seems sadly that some vets might be more after the $$$ than the well being of pets :( Needless to say we won't be going back to the first vet.

ETA:

:puke OMG i cleaned Bella's ear and it was sooo gross. i don't think the vet looked at it yesterday at all. it hadn't been cleaned. the inside is all red and the hair is falling off the outside of her ear.

Edited by Dragonmom

Guest Dragonmom

the new vet is totally awesome. Our new boy Ace is going in for his neuter tomorrow and we don't have to pay right away for it. happy dance

Guest nerak254

The first vet sounds like the one I unfortunately took Aruba to, that was by far the worst experience of my life and I regret taking her there. They were all about the money too( I don't for a moment intend to imply that they don't deserve to get paid bueause they do).

Guest Heehoo

My vet is one of the lower price vets in Memphis.

New patients & one time patients, he charges full price when you get ready to leave. I can certainly understand that.

Over the years, I've seen that my vet is not in it for the money. Up until 2 months ago, he drove a 1984 Toyota truck. Until he got married again, he didn't have an answering machine, a cell phone or a computer at home.

Most nights, he sleeps at the clinic if he has a very very sick dog & he does a lot of his c-sections at night when there isn't any interruptions.

My sister has a large animal vet who is the same way.

When you find one hang on to them.

Guest KennelMom

Just like everyone else, vets have bills to pay too....And many vets owe $80,000 to $100,000 in student loans by the time they get out of vet. school. It's great you've found one that is willing to offer a deep discount, but that doesn't mean the other vets you saw are any less ethical or caring.

IMO, it's the pet owner's responsibility to ensure they can afford the pets they have. It's not the vet's responsibility to charge what you can afford to pay or give their service away for free.

What KennelMom said.

Here, you pretty much always pay in full for services when rendered -- you can't just walk into a vet's office, get treatment, and walk out without paying. Even forgetting student loans, the vets have to pay for rent, electricity, supplies, meds, services such as medical waste disposal ......

I'm glad you found someone to treat your pup without paying, but I wouldn't gauge the quality of care from that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have never had a vet that would perform services without payment at that time. The same goes for people when they go to the doctor or dentist - payment is expected at the time of service. It is very nice that you have found a vet that is willing to work with your finances, but that does not mean that the other vet is only in it for the money.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm glad that you found someone you are happy with!!

We had a great vet for years when we only had Labs. He retired and one of his family members took over the practice. WOW, what a difference between them! The old vet was Compassionate with a capital C. The younger one was just after the money. Needless to say, we are no longer with that vet practice!

As to the cost of a neuter...WOW, both of those are cheap! We would pay about 300-400 for that here I think. (This is going by the last spay that we had, which was close to $1000) And that is not only our vet, that is everywhere here, from what I hear. Thank doG for pet insurance!!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I echo what Kennelmom and Batmom said. You can't take price over service, or you get what you pay for.

My vet is certainly not the cheapest, nor the closest to us, but he's a wonderful guy, supports what I choose to do for my dogs, gives me alternatives to modern medicine (holistic), and even gave me his home phone number in case I had an emergency.

He's sweet, gentle and kind and just adores my pack. What more can I ask for?

As for allowing things to be done without paying upfront, I'd be leery of that. Especially if they "forgot" to tell you that they charge interest on the account. Your cheap service could end up being more expensive than the other vet.

All I'm saying is that you have to be careful.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Just like everyone else, vets have bills to pay too....And many vets owe $80,000 to $100,000 in student loans by the time they get out of vet. school. It's great you've found one that is willing to offer a deep discount, but that doesn't mean the other vets you saw are any less ethical or caring.

IMO, it's the pet owner's responsibility to ensure they can afford the pets they have. It's not the vet's responsibility to charge what you can afford to pay or give their service away for free.

I could not have said it better.

I'm a little confused on your statement of

"Our new boy Ace is going in for his neuter tomorrow and we don't have to pay right away for it."

If they have done the neuter - why not pay for it at that time. Of course it is understandable to try and pay on time if you are having financial issues.

I have left my vets several times without paying(not because I couldn't pay). There have been times they have told me don't worry about paying right now, come back another day to pay, this was out of concern for my dogs comfort. I have been going to the same clinic for almost 20 years.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Getting what you pay for is such a true statement. Here in the desert, there's no such thing as making payments, even with my own vet who I have been with for 13 years.

Years ago I learned that you really do get what you pay for.

Dentals here are ridiculous in price, there is no such thing as a dental under 600.00, it's not possible.

The estimate for Lenny's dental is 1800.00 and I could drive to a vet an hour and 1/2 away and probaby get away with 200.00. I've used that vet for a dental before, however realized that he uses a much cheaper drug to put the dog under, not much monitoring either. So it's much cheaper but a much greater risk

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TBSFlame

I have never run any credit at my vet but if I ever needed to I am sure he would let me. He has bills to pay and I know for a fact his wife, who is a vet, has lots of student loans. Her parents are good friends of ours.

I have never expected a vet to charge services for me.

It common practice pay for services before you leave the office. There were a couple instances when we had emergencies when we had the horse farm, and since this was unexpected farm calls in the middle of the night, the vet was always happy to take a check from us and hold it for a couple days so we could transfer money to cover it.

There would be no reason to charge for elective type services - health checks, heartworm tests, vaccinations, neutering ... etc. I would not expect any vet to extend credit for things that could be easily rescheduled to a time where you can afford to pay for them.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest Energy11

Guess I am just used to my old vet/employer. He doesn't let EVERYONE run a balance, but, he WILL do it for people who just don't have the money, in lieu of not doing a procedure. For the most part, he has always been paid, and never "stuck." I am all for vets getting what they are due, but sometimes, there are extenuating circumstances, and I like a vet, OR a human doc, with a "heart!"

Guest Dragonmom

im not bashing the other vet, i was just totally surprised the other vet offered his services to us without us asking. he looked at Bella's ear and said she needs meds for it. i said i didn't have $$$ and he said it was ok. while we were there we talked about Ace's neuter and he said we could do it and pay for it next week.

the other vets told me i could get away with a partial payment when i dropped Bella off and i was more than willing/capable of paying it at the time. it was when i got back they told me that they needed a full payment upfront.

Guest PhillyPups

I am with Heather, Jey and the others here. I bet the office staff at both of the vets offices expect their payment for their services rendered on their payday and that money has to come from somewhere. :dunno

If you can't afford the needed vet care for your current dog why bring another one in that is needing vetting?

Edited to change misunderstood portion. :P

Edited by PhillyPups

Did you not notice the ear was dirty before? I check my dogs ears regularly and when they are dirty, clean them. Maybe I am unusual, but I clean my ears too. I don't expect my vets to clean my dog's dirty ears.

She's referring to her earlier post. Winnie and Bella got into a scuffle and Bella's ear was degloved.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest PhillyPups
Did you not notice the ear was dirty before? I check my dogs ears regularly and when they are dirty, clean them. Maybe I am unusual, but I clean my ears too. I don't expect my vets to clean my dog's dirty ears.

She's referring to her earlier post. Winnie and Bella got into a scuffle and Bella's ear was degloved.

Sorry :blush

Guest Heehoo
I have never had a vet that would perform services without payment at that time. The same goes for people when they go to the doctor or dentist - payment is expected at the time of service. It is very nice that you have found a vet that is willing to work with your finances, but that does not mean that the other vet is only in it for the money.

Totally agree, however due to my work hours, I get a lot of 5:30/5:45 appointments & walk out of there when the lights are turned out, computers are turned off & everyone has gone home but me & him. Right now I owe him for Halo's treatments. Again, I've been going to the same vet for 30 years.

Some vets in the Memphis area, will let you pay 1/2 at the time of treatment.

More times than not, I've walked out w/out paying & they just bill me. For a long long long time, he didn't send out statements, you just paid next time you went in.

My dentist is the same way.

Edited by Heehoo

Guest babsc

What about those clients that swear up and down they will make the payments, and then stiff you on a huge bill? It happens all the time and not just now that times are tough. They will lie to you in front of employees, the Dr, other clients and even their children. What a wonderful way to teach your children about honesty and responsibility!

Writing off $15-20K of debt every year is bad enough, but when you have to raise prices so you can cover the cost to replace your $5k x-ray developer or cover other operating expenses and clients complain....it is a no win situation. When someone brings in an animal that is critically ill, imagine yourself on the other side of the room and explain why you can't extend them credit. It stinks to have to be the hard A_ _.