Peace

Guest wjamg

Guest wjamg

Hi everyone,

Some of you may have read about the ordeal my girl has been going through. She is on antirobe and keflex for antibiotics and novox and tramadol for pain. She also takes cystolamine(proin--slow release tab) and a supplement for her arthritis.

Either the pain or the meds are keeping her awake. She has slept only six hours since last night at eleven. I called the vet again today, they will be seeing her again on Thursday but continue to tell me the abscess has to drain and run its course. She did wake up today with a new smaller abscess right above the big one on her bottom. One is the size of a half dollar the other the size of a pencil tip eraser. The small one is still draining but the big one seems to have stopped.

So I have a couple questions.

Can a greyhound take tranquilizers? something to calm her so she can sleep?

Anyone else have a greyhound that has had side effects from meds that kept their dog awake? The dogsitter today said she slept for just two hours the whole time I was at work. I was sure she would get some rest after being up most of the night.

The past week has seemed like months. I wish I could put her to sleep until Fall and she could wake up healed.

Guest wjamg

I meant to ask in my post if anyone knows if the OSU vet clinic works with wound healing? It's only about 110 miles from here and I thought about calling if I do not see improvement by Thursday.

OSU Greyhound Health and Welllness Program will see a greyhound for any reason. The contact info is in my siggy.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11

I think OSU works with ANYTHING. Their clinic is like a regular vets, only better :-))

Yes, Greys can take tranqulizers, Valium, to be specific. I give Valium to my two thunderphobic dogs when necessary. BUT, I would check with your vet/OSU, whomever, before giving it, as it might interact with Peace's other meds.

Good Luck! I would DEFINITELY use OSU if I lived up there! :-)

I meant to ask in my post if anyone knows if the OSU vet clinic works with wound healing? It's only about 110 miles from here and I thought about calling if I do not see improvement by Thursday.

Wise choice

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Call and make an appointment today.

614-292-3551 - Follow the message they give. A very nice lady by the name of Patti may answer the phone. She is one of the people that answer the phone. She has tracked down Doctors for me. Her hours might be 7 - 4:30.

I live near Memphis TN. If I lived only 110 miles from them they would be my regular vets. Really.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Call and make an appointment today.

Ditto.

I would be very concerned about a new abcess forming and would want her seen as soon as you can get her there.

Prayers you can get some answers and get her on the road to healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest wjamg

The worst part of all of this is every one of the vets in the practice I chose is an OSU graduate that worked in the clinic in Columbus. They are located a half hour from my house and I chose them when I adopted Peace just for their experience. I left a vet I used for 14 years to go to them.

I will call OSU and see what they say.

The worst part of all of this is every one of the vets in the practice I chose is an OSU graduate that worked in the clinic in Columbus. They are located a half hour from my house and I chose them when I adopted Peace just for their experience. I left a vet I used for 14 years to go to them.

I will call OSU and see what they say.

We have a vet here in Palm Springs who is an OSU grad and she worked there and knows Dr C very well. She's an excellent vet however, she does not know anything about GH's. I realize this is not GH specific to most, but I am beginning to believe that everything is different with these dogs

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

OSU is not just a single or a few vets. My greyhound that is up there now has two super infections. The Micro-biology Dept works with them in finding a solution for his problem. OSU is many departments putting their heads together and searching for a solution. They have materials available to them that most vets can only dream about.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

You might ask your vet about using the novox only and discontinuing the Tramadol. I know many people here have good experiences with Tramadol. We did not. It did not appear to relieve pain and did not provide a restful experience for the dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There are dogs who don't respond well to certain drugs. You may simply need a different med. Sounds like Peace is having a rough time of it. I think it's fine to seek a second opinion.

I am sorry to read about all that your girl is going through. :cry1

You ask about tranquilizers: About 1-1/2 yrs ago, Holly yanked/pulled something while running. She was in obvious pain and couldn't get comfortable in her bed. It was after hours so I took her to the ER. At that time, the vet prescribed Metacam and gave me Valium for muscle relaxation. The recommended dose made her totally loopy and I was afraid she was going to fall over. I subsequently reduced the dosage.

I don't know how often Valium is prescribed for dogs, but it definitely transported her to another galaxy. The vet gave me 10 mg tabs and prescribed 2.5 tabs (25 mg) every 8 hrs for three days; then every 12 hrs AS NEEDED. Holly is about 58 lbs.

Hugs to your pupper.

We've been using Valium (diazepam) on Minerva after her neck surgery- 2.5 mg 2x/day for a ~33 kg hound. The veterinary neurologists prescribed her 5 mg, but find that 5 mg is enough to keep her calm and un-crazy.

ETA: Corrected the quantity. We were given 5 mg tablets, scored to be broken in halves. We didn't want to try 5 without trying 2.5 first, and are sticking with 2.5 mg twice a day.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greytexplorer

I've been reading about Peace's ordeal, and have no advice to share, just hugs.

I spent 2 hours at the vet's today with Mandy, so I know about all the unknowns and how it feels.

GO to Couto. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. That's what I would do if I could.....

:grouphug,

Pat

Peace has one issue for sure, and a second maybe. The primary issue is that she is showing escalating signs of infection. The second is that she may be having a drug reaction, however, in view of the definite and increasing signs of infection following surgery, it is impossible to evaluate from a distance whether her current unease is pain or drug-induced. And regardless, the escalating infection needs to be addressed as an immediate risk.

Not disagreeing with any thoughts, just wanting to ensure the OP remains focused on the very concerning primary issue.

I agree with taking the trip to OSU. It was well worth my time to drive 7 hours each way to meet and consult with Dr. Couto about my Drake.

Peace has one issue for sure, and a second maybe. The primary issue is that she is showing escalating signs of infection. The second is that she may be having a drug reaction, however, in view of the definite and increasing signs of infection following surgery, it is impossible to evaluate from a distance whether her current unease is pain or drug-induced. And regardless, the escalating infection needs to be addressed as an immediate risk.

Not disagreeing with any thoughts, just wanting to ensure the OP remains focused on the very concerning primary issue.

Ditto

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg