Greyhound Agression- Vicious Snarling..hair Standing Up

Guest valtoy

Guest valtoy

I've had Red now for 8 months and he is totally different in personality from my other two greyhounds...Definately NOT a couch potato...so I don't think describing greyhounds as that is accurate as all dogs seem to exhibit different personalities. He is extremly agressive...a perfect watchdog...would scare the crap out of a pit bull...ha ha. He hates the mailman, paper deliverer...anyone who enters the yard. He lunges at he windows...tears down the drapes...tears up anything that comes thru the mail slot...tears the pillows off the couch until the guy goes away...snarls, growls and barks. the hair stands up on his back and his skin turns dark...He sometimes wakes up at night...looks up at me and bares his teeth and snarls and lunges at me in bed! Very scary...when I didn't do anything to him. He killed a rabbit in the yard when he caught it...He is a hunter...a watch dog and just plain protective and mean...but very loving as well...so I guess he could be bipolar!

Valerie

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Sounds to me like he needs some socialization. You might think about obedience classes just to get him around other dogs and people a bit more.

Guest KennelMom

I don't really understand your post. Are you looking for help with your dog? Doesn't sound like acceptable or healthy behavior for a dog to exhibit. Def. not normal for a greyhound.

My greyhounds (and fosters) have caught and killed rabbits in the yard so that is not (in my opinion) very unusual for a greyhound even the "couch potatoes". I don't like to see it or deal with half dead animals but, they are hunters and if something crosses their path, they are going to do as nature intended.

Snarling and lunging at you is not a desirable behavior and as you mentioned -- very scary

I would get the adoption group involved and get their opinion on the dog's personality. If he is as aggressive as you're describing, you might need to go to a one-on-one training class and NOT DO group sessions because of the chance of your dog being out-of-control.

If you could tell us where you are located, perhaps we could suggest a local trainer to work with you and your hound - so he is not aggressive toward you.

Has this nasty behavior just started (agressive toward you?) - I have heard that brain tumors can make a Greyhound aggressive - when was the last time a vet saw him?

I'm sure people will try to help you, if you can give us a bit more information on when the behavior problems started, and more background on this Greyhound.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest valtoy

I just wondered if anyone else had this type of behavior. I can live with this as I love him and he is part of the family...he is young...just turned 2, so I'm thinking he is just sewing his wild oats I guess. The snarly behavior suddenly is a bit scary, but he snaps out of it if I leave the room, come back and talk softly to him...so he knows it's me...I think he just spaces out or something...but wondered if anyone had this experience...

Valerie

Oh, he is extremely social with other dogs...someones loose dog ran up to him and he just wags his tail and sniffs, he doesn't exhibit hostile behavior to other animals, just people...

Valerie

Guest eaglflyt

I highly recommend setting up some time with a reputable trainer or behaviorist and also a vet visit to make sure your dog is healthy and not having some physical issue that is causing this behavior. If you do not address this behavior with professional assistance, these things usually escalate. This is unusual for a greyhound, imho.

That level of aggression is way outside any greyhound norm, as far as I know. But I have heard of it happening in a greyhound with brain inflammation. Can you schedule a vet or neurologist visit soon? Not that a behaviorist won't help, but it won't cure inflammation if present!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest D_MansMommy

I would suggest a vet check and a trainer. Donovan is very aggressive towards people/dogs approaching our house. He barks and his hair does go up. But, my concern with your situation is that Donovan has NEVER shown his teeth ect to us or people/dogs we know. That is scary.

Guest MAXNAV

There's been some studies regarding aggressive dogs and thyroid issues as well. Maybe have him checked by your vet first? I hope you can get this resolved.

He hates the mailman, paper deliverer...anyone who enters the yard. He lunges at he windows...tears down the drapes...tears up anything that comes thru the mail slot...tears the pillows off the couch until the guy goes away...snarls, growls and barks.

Territorial. Would be helpful to work with a trainer on this so he doesn't hurt himself, break a window, etc.

He sometimes wakes up at night...looks up at me and bares his teeth and snarls and lunges at me in bed! Very scary...when I didn't do anything to him.

Is he in YOUR bed? If so, I'd make him sleep in his own. Doesn't like sharing his space. Can work with a trainer on this, too, but if he only does it when he's in bed with you, it's certainly manageable behavior.

He killed a rabbit in the yard when he caught it.

Not aggressive, not mean, not bipolar, just a dog.

I do think working with a behaviorist would be worth your while, but he doesn't sound like he has truly severe problems or a disorder of any type. He's young, a little territorial, maybe a little fear aggressive, and a good hunter. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There's been some studies regarding aggressive dogs and thyroid issues as well.

MSU's, which I think is the latest?, shows an inverse correlation -- less likely to be aggressive if hypothyroid.

If there are later or larger studies, maybe you could point me to them? Would like to see :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I third they thyroid check. That CAN get them totally out of wack with their personalities. If that is okay, yes, then, maybe try a behaviorist. Good Luck with him! As I mentioned earlier, Oakly does show teeth and bark, but it is space aggression, but he is very meek in public, almost too meek :-)

Guest bellenzo

I don't post often, but have been around for a while. Th seriousness of this thread made me want to throw in my own two cents worth. As someone who had a very aggresive dog and learned to manage the aggression, I can't emphasize enough how important it is for you to get to the source of the aggression. An aggresive dog the size of a greyhound can be extremely dangerous and should not be taken lightly. I support all the suggestions above about consulting a behaviorist and a vet check. I don't want to be an alarmist, but this problem tends not to go away by itself and can escalate over time. I loved my dog too, but it took an extra commitment and watchfulness to keep him safe. I consider an aggresive dog to be a special needs dog who needs the love you obviously have for your hound. I wish you all the best.

(Sorry for sounding so preachy.)

Guest JarBear

Vet check and trainer, please. I know you love him but you don't want to live with this behavior for years. His life is on the line if he bites someone... not to mention the damage a dog his size can do to a person.

Guest nerak254

This is way too scary. I agree with getting the physical stuff checked but I'd also not allow him on the bed.

Guest luckydog

I see several explanations here:

Seizures.

Night blindness.

Thyroid.

Before hauling the dog off to a trainer, try taking him to your vet for a COMPLETE checkup.

Get him to a vet for a check including bloodwork with a complete thyroid check. There are some medical conditions which can contribute to some unpleasant behavior including aggression. I had a dog with Cushing's whose personality changed dramatically though that is not the norm for Cushing's. Have heard anecdotal evidence that thyroid can. Pain, seizures, all can contribute. Though those are not likely it is always best for a vet visit first.

Then your next stop should be a behaviorist. However, you must be careful who you choose for there is no legal standard, licensing or certification for behaviorists & trainers. In your case I would strongly recommend a veterinary behaviorist. You can find one here: American College of Veterinary Behaviorists - http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/

And as others have mentioned, if he is sleeping on your bed get him off, like yesterday. Provide him with a comfy, cozy bed on the floor. Personally, I would not even have him on the couch with me until I had more info on what was going on.

Also, I have a timid Grey who sounds quite vicious with growling, barking, hackles raised to anyone coming up to the fence or our door. She would also kill any small critters she could catch outside. She is the sweetest, best behaved dog I have ever had and shows no aggression whatsoever. If I open the door & invite someone in, she does not try to exit. She is fine with people entering when we have invited them. She is a watch dog, not a guard dog. She has never snapped or lunged at anyone ever not even at the vets, when surprised or awakened. What you are describing sounds quite extreme.

Please do pursue answers to the cause of this & get help finding a solution. This does not sound terribly happy for human or dog in the long run. Wishing you the best & a resolution to this.

now that i have read he is ONLY two, i have a couple of questions....???

you have had him for 8 months, right?

that means he was 16 months old, a very awkward age, right?

what was his behavior like then and exactly HOW much training and what have you done?

does he sit for his food?

wait to go out?

come when called?

down when told?

neutering....when? if not, why not?

how much exercise does he get? you have a puppy here, he needs free as well as structured exercise- soccer, fetch, frisbee and mental stimulation.

adolescence is a difficult period and it last for a while. my pup who is now 29 months old was still a maniac at that age and i had already invested many, many hours into obedience training- almost 60 weeks and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY. my pup is a remarkable watch dog, does not like to be touched when sleeping(that can be the night problem) and acts more like a regular dog who is just super fast and nimble. does that sound a tad familiar?

but he was off the track at 8 days!

with the night problem i had him crated at night only for ever we had the same sleep aggression problem. (there should be a thread on sleep aggression).i just figured out sleep arrangements w/ my other grey who is a doll. we put out 3 beds at night so he can have more space or she can move away from him. even during the day, if my male is sleeping and he feels my gal turn over and roach on her bed, he growls and freaks. i just clap my hands loudly to wake him and say"knock it off". i would give your boy his own space, a private space.

do consult w/ your vet and interview trainers. lots of people are"certified trainers" but there are a couple of programs out there that certify people really easily. also research the local humane society and see if they can recommend anyone. you need to be able to communicate w/ that person in order to learn.

good luck and keep on posting.

Guest sja5032

Ruling out any medical problems is the first step. If there is no medical reason for your dog's behavior then this sounds like a classic case of your dog controlling you and thinking he needs to be the dominant one. I suggest you start taking control of EVERYTHING your dogs does. Walking out of the room when your dog bares his teeth at you is the WORST possible thing to do, you are giving him all the power and showing that you are scared. If you are afraid of getting bitten, leave the dog muzzled while you deal with the problem. Honestly, if you are just "going to deal with it" the dog would be better off if her were returned to the adoption group and rehomed. "Dealing" with an aggressive dog instead of fixing it is just irresponsible and it puts you, others, and the dog at risk. Sorry if I sound harsh but too many dogs get bad reps because they have irresponsible owners (i.e. pit bulls), we don't need people thinking greyhounds are mean too.

Also want to add. Please do not use violence, fear or intimidation to try and solve this problem. That does not mean to "let him get away with it". Training & behavior solutions are needed. However, what you want is to get to the root of the problem and help change whatever is causing the behavior. Simply punishing him for showing the behavior teaches him that giving warning like growling, snarling, lunging will get him punished. So instead he will mask those feelings causing this & could quit giving warning signs. Instead it could just suddenly escalate to biting. Please do not go all Cesar Millan on him. That will not solve the problem.

However, the suggestion to take control of things your dog does is a good one. You control the food, you control the bed, you control going for walks, etc. NILIF does work when done appropriately. It can work wonders. Clicker training is a great way to teach behaviors. It is hands off so much safer.