Pain Med Question

Ok, so some of you might have read my other thread about what I think are pressure sores on Tank after a weekend kennel stay at my vets office.

To start with I got the run around on the phone. I decided that if I was there in the office they couldn't ignore me. They were slow (1 person in a room) when I walked in so I wasn't taking time from another patient. I was told when I called that the vet who started the office and who I really wanted to speak to was at the hospital with his sick father, totally understandable!! I went anyway just to talk to one of the other vets. We'll call her vet B (you can guess why). So, vet B came in the room, looking mildly annoyed already and when I told her that I was upset by the condition of my dogs legs and the fact that he was limping when I got him home. She then proceeded to tell me that "Well, he is a greyhound and with the thin skin we can't make him lay on the blankets. We did treat the spots we saw for free which other kennels would not due." I then asked about the limp. Of course I know that you can't tell anything with out looking at him, but I do have a job and I do have to work. She then said "Well the best thing I can tell you is you might want to find somewhere else to board him next time." :eek She didn't even offer to let me bring him in for her to look at him!! She had one of the techs bring me a bottle of pain meds but now I'm not sure if I should give them to him. She gave me Rimadyl 75mg to give him 2x/day.

I mean am I asking too much? I know that if the owner of the office was there Tank my still have gotten the sores but when I came in he would have me bring him in and look at him and make sure things are right. So do you think I should find a new vet? I'm really not comfortable at that office any more. Anyone know of a good vet in the Rocky Mount, NC area?

Guest Energy11

WHAT an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My former vet/employer, Dr. B. would have seen your dog and addressed your questions! Yes, I have a good friend in Tarboro, who could probably direct you to a decent vet. I will copy and past your message to her now.

Again, having been Kennel Manager, ONE, the dog would have been on a QUILT, two, I would have talked to you, OR, had the vet talk to you, when you picked the dog up with the sores!

NOT, acceptable! I am soo sorry you had to go through this!

The Rimadyl is fine for the pain, but, I WONDER why Tank is limping???????????????? Did the foot get caught in one of the runs??????? I do NOT like that either.

You might post on GFNC's message board regarding finding a vet near you. GFNC message board

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
Not very wise to just hand over a bottle of Rimadyl like that

DITTO!!! Especially now knowing WHAT is wrong with the dog, and his blood values!

Unbelievable! With an attitude like that, she'll put that office out of business. I'd not go back, not necessarily burn bridges either, but would let "real" vet know why you are leaving so they can address it with their employee / partner / whatever...

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road