Healing Light For Bumper

Guest Energy11

Hey Derek!

Sorry you guys are going through this! I'd say, try ANYTHING high carb that The Bump will eat! Maybe Pasta, rice, mashed potatoes... lots of good stuff loaded with calories!

Good Luck, love and hugs from here! Dee and The Five!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11
Not ideal for a long-term diet but my girls have all loved egg salad, rice pudding and canned chicken a la king. All of which are pretty high calorie.

Keeping Bumper in my thoughts and prayers.

wow! I'd eat at your place! :-))

It sounds like your boy is doing very well (despite weird and scary pain episode)!

Re weight, I posted the recipe below in another thread. My angel Batman subsisted mostly on this, with various add-ins, when he had terminal cancer. You might want to go heavier on the beef, lighter on the poultry if you're trying to add pounds. I usually served with some "side dishes" -- spaghettios, canned green tripe (Tripett or Solid Gold), scrambled eggs, spoonful of ice cream or two .....

Non-kibbled food is not as concentrated so the volume is much larger. Might feed 4 small meals a day rather than 2 large ones.

Hope your handsome boy's recovery continues.

----------------------------------------

Not a miracle recipe, but most dogs seem to enjoy this. I baked it like a meatloaf and used it as a protein supplement or canned food substitute until Batman got sick; then he had to have everything pureed so I cooked it on the stovetop and ran it through my Osterizer:

1 lb - 2 lbs chicken or turkey

1 lb ground beef - OK if it's quite fatty because you're cutting the fat with poultry

2-3 eggs with shells (1 egg for each pound meat)

1 cup frozen spinach

1/2 cup frozen peas (must be cooked and then pureed - for the fiber; firms stools)

2-3 tablespoons molasses (blackstrap is best - lots of potassium; also adds palatability)

2-3 teaspoons powdered kelp (optional - for trace minerals)

For the eggshells, I rinse them out and zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds, pat dry, zap again if they're still too damp, then powder them with mortar and pestle or coffee grinder (or just crush well with back of spoon).

If you're going to bake as meatloaf, thaw the spinach first but no need to drain.

If peas are not cooked and pureed, they'll just go through the dog whole. You can puree (= blend into mush) in an Osterizer (might have to add a little water), old-fashioned Foley food mill, Cuisinart, etc. For us, they work better than most anything else at providing fiber for good stools.

You can make it with all one kind of meat. If just chicken or turkey, it'll be pretty low-calorie, though. You can also add other things -- a minced carrot or apple, for example.

Cook on stovetop until meat is no longer pink or mix all together and bake like a people meatloaf.

If you're not feeding anything else, figure 1-1.5 lbs of meat per dog per day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:ding

Bumpdate #47

Thanks GTers, for all the continued well wishes and thoughts for Bumper. It is working!!! OK, the steroids and pain meds might be helping a bit too!

Bumper has not been upstairs in a month and as I was in the bathroom off our bedroom getting ready for work and DW was puttering about in the room this morning, we heard some click clack click clack on the stairs (we have a runner on the hardwood so it is easier for the boys but occasionally they miss). It was too late for either of us to rush to the stairs as DW saw a dark brindle boy turn the corner on the landing and continue plodding upward. It was the BUMPMAN!!!! The boy made it up the stairs on his own!!! This coming from the guy who hasn't left the family room and kitchen in more than a month.

I am just elated this morning with his effort!! What a good boy!!

Thank you again for all the support and well wishes!! We'll keep you posted!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Yay Bumper! :yay Well done!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest TheUnrulyHound

:clap:confetti what a great update!!! I just came over here and read all of the thread (I came over from my Outlaws thread where you posted about Bumper and his similar situation) and I am glad to see that both our boys are having a good day! Your story about him click clicking up the stairs almost echoes my post in Outlaws thread!!! They both got up unexpectedly :clap This is creepy... I just went to my thread to see what time I posted and we both posted at the exact same time 8:59 am (central) weird........ :)

I hope Bumper continues to improve!!! I slept out in the living room with Outlaw last night (just like many other nights when he wouldn't get up to go to the bedroom) so I know how it is to need to be by them :blush:beatheart

Excellent news! :yay Keep up the good work, Bumper. :kiss2:dogcookie

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Holy petunias, Bumper! You GO, handsome fella!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks GT peeps, for the well wishes and interest. The update on the Bunmpman.....

- slow progress, but I think he is still improving. He trotted about 50 feet on our walk yesterday - the longest ever.

- his lateral stability in his rear legs is still very weak, relatively speaking, and we're hoping he can build back the muscle in his legs. His front is strong, but bowel movements are not easy for the lad.

- the good news is that his spirit is terriffic and he has a light in his eye!!

I haven't mentioned it, but we are moving - leaving tomorrow for home (Ottawa, Canada) from NY where we have been the last year on a corporate assignment. The boys' world has been turned upside down but they're doing fine, but their version of "home" is about to change! Be interesting to see how they acclimate. I am sure they'll be great.

Wish us luck, GTers....won't be able to post / read for a few days.

Thanks for reading and keeping an eye on our Bumper... :cheers

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road