Update On Gracie's Ear Injury

The story of Gracie's ear injury began here Lessons Learned

Her ear did well after being drained but by yesterday the hematoma had begun to refill. My vet said he could drain it again but we might be doing this again in another week.

So today Gracie had it surgically treated.

This picture is from yesterday. The hematoma at the end of her ear was about the size of a grape tomato. It was a bit bigger than this the first time it was drained. (It's between my thumb and the tip of her ear.)

003-2.jpg

Gracie will remained bandaged until Tuesday. To immobilize the ear, have it in an "up" position so blood doesn't drain back to the tip, and to keep her from scratching it, the ear is secured over her head. The tape actually goes around her neck.

004-2.jpg

It was raining when we were to leave the vet's office to I brought her hat with me. All the vet techs ooh'ed and aah'ed over Gracie's sense of fashion.

005.jpg

Gracie did well with the anesthesia. I think her pain meds are working.........

006.jpg

In 2 weeks she'll get her stitches out.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Oh Gee, Ducky, I LOVE that hat!

I think that is why My Dr. B., former vet/boss, always did the surgical procedure on the hematomas. He says they, "always" fill back up. You did the right thing, getting this surgically repaired :-)))

Hug your baby for me! Love, Dee

That hat is adorable. I hope everything heals quickly.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

:goodluck for quick and uneventful healing.

:kiss2 Gracie. If anybody asks, you've decided that you want Dobe ears. ;)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytbookert

poor Gracie! I hope she heals up soon!

When Annie had her ear injured, we used a sleeve from a long sleeved t-shirt to keep the ear mobilized and to keep her from disturbing it. It look us a little bit to find the right fit but once we did, it worked beautifully, much better than the contraption from the vet :)

100_2392.jpg

100_2382.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I was going to try a stretchy sock.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

OMG, that first pic of her ear!

Today I noticed the exact same thing on Angel's right ear. Will be calling the vet first thing Monday morning. I don't see Angel shaking her head, what else can cause it? :unsure

OMG, that first pic of her ear!

Today I noticed the exact same thing on Angel's right ear. Will be calling the vet first thing Monday morning. I don't see Angel shaking her head, what else can cause it? :unsure

Check the link in my first post of this thread. My DH accidently left Gracie outside in the rain for over an hour. Other than the eave of the roof there was no shelter. I think she must have shook herself so much because she was soaking wet. In doing so some blood vessels burst. That first hematoma (before the draining) was even larger than the photo. When it came back it wasn't as big but was still slowly swelling with blood so she really did need surgery to fix it.

I have no idea if any of the tip of her ear has been removed. I hope not. Gracie had such delicate butterfly ears.

Perhaps your Angel scratched her ear roughly and caused hers to bleed inside. I had some Tramadol for pain on-hand so I gave her one pill. Plus she was still on cephalexin for a healing anal gland infection. Since you can't get in to the vet until Monday, if you have a pain med like Tramadol or Vetprofen you might one to give Angel one - (but not on the day of the vet visit.)

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

It's been just over a week since Gracie had surgery to remove the hematoma on her ear.

Monday the bandage was removed and Dr Martin said the tissue was granulating well. She was supposed to get several - but not all - of the stitches out Friday, but doc says they aren't ready to come out yet. There's still a bit of puffiness.

The picture below is a bit graphic. A slit was made on the underside of the ear and left open about 1/4". You can see the blue stitches that run parallel to the slit. Doc decided against removing the whole head-wrap bandage and he covered the incision with fresh gauze.

In a week he will check the progress of the healing and will take out more stitches.

035.jpg

Stay tuned for a new thread featuring a picture of Gracie's cute vet and the outfit Gracie wore that had all the vet techs cracking up............

tiny hada siggy.png

you do have your hands full............

But Gracie is handling all this with such ........ well........... Grace..........

She's can make anything look beautiful!

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .