Cj Has This Red Swelling...not A Bug Bite :( Histiocytoma

Guest VirginiaGreys

Guest VirginiaGreys

I was petsitting for a friend over the weekend ...when I noticed this huge red swelling on the underneath of CJ's tail...

Anyone seen something like this before?

DSC00591.jpg

DSC00595.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

Edited by VirginiaGreys

Diane, do you think it could be a benign histiocytoma?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest VirginiaGreys

I don't know. It doesn't seem to itch or anything. Yesterday I swabbed it with a q-tip and there was a little bit of blood seeping out. The first time I noticed it was Sat. night...it's under her tail so I didn't see it right away.

I can't say for certain if it has gotten smaller...but it hasn't gotten any larger than it was when I first saw it. I've been giving her allergy meds just in case it was a bug bite.

Guest boondog
Looks like some sort of mass to me--I would have that checked.

I second that !! Almost looks like a boil.

I agree. It doesn't really look like a bug bite.

Guest luvdogs

It kind of looks like the lumps my old pooch had between her toes when she had spear grass in her paws. I don't know if you can get that on the tail though.

Another vote for not a bug bite, probably something benign but get it checked out to be safe.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest 2greysinPA
Another vote for not a bug bite, probably something benign but get it checked out to be safe.

Another vote for Not a bug bite,,, and praying that it is really nothing serious at all...

keep us posted...

prayers that it just goes away...... :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Yup - doesn't look like a bug bite, more like a histiocytoma or some other sort of small cyst or tumor. I think it's worth getting it checked out.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Here is a good link to information on histiocytomas.

Link

From the pictures you provided and the pictures in the article, that's what it looks like.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest VirginiaGreys

Well...the vet thinks it's a histiocytoma as well...or it may be a mass cell tumor.....so for now we are watching it to see if it gets any larger...or changes for the worst. If it's a histiocytoma...it is most likely benign and will go away on it's own. However...if it gets larger or changes...then we'll need to remove it surgically.

Please keep our fingers and paws crossed that it will go away.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest dmona

Our Kelsey had a mct in what looks to be the exact same spot as this and we had to have her tail amputated because of it's location. She has done fine ever since and her "nub" is kinda cute. Hope everythings works out and it is just a benign something.

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo had one of these. The vet aspirated it, looked at the stuff under a microscope, and told us it was a histiocytoma all in one 20-minute visit. The bonus came when the darn thing went away after it had been aspirated.

Guest VirginiaGreys
Kebo had one of these. The vet aspirated it, looked at the stuff under a microscope, and told us it was a histiocytoma all in one 20-minute visit. The bonus came when the darn thing went away after it had been aspirated.

How old was Kebo when it appeared? I'm glad it went away. I chose not to aspirate it...at least not yet...not while it wasn't getting bigger. After spending over $4000 in the last 2 months on vet bills...my wallet is seeing a lot of moths.